Beware [Euroquipe] Mechanic Shop - St. Charles, IL – [My Story] | FerrariChat

Beware [Euroquipe] Mechanic Shop - St. Charles, IL – [My Story]

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by F360Dave, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    I will warn you this is long, but if you are an Illinois resident and want to save yourself thousands of dollars, never ending problems, and weeks of downtime, and the general frustration I have had to deal with over the past few months, please read my story.

- - - - - - - - - -

Preventative maintenance; this is something every 360 owner is aware of, and something that must be done if the ownership period exceeds a couple years. Right around the 2-year mark of owning my 360, I decided to go forth and have the timing/belt service performed, along with switching out the spark plugs for good measure. I have had a mechanic for the past few years who does wonderful work and performs all my regular maintenance for my 360, (oil changes, etc.), whom I was considering having perform the service, although he advised me to search for a specialized Ferrari shop, having never done it himself.

Thus, after searching online, I found a shop with “Ferrari experience,” and a trained former Ferrari technician (along with being a mechanic of just about every car manufacturer out there, according to his 13 different certificates hanging in the waiting area), to perform the work…

I have had nothing but problems with my 360 since the service was performed, I have not been able to drive more than 80 miles without something going wrong time and time and time again. I brought in a trouble free Ferrari 360 for preventative maintenance and have been doing nothing but performing maintenance to the car since. And as I was told by the owner of Euroquipe, Brad Schrock, when I brought this up, I apparently am the only Ferrari owner to have had a trouble free Ferrari, “they are very touchy, finicky cars,” he said.

First off, middle of May 2010, I brought my 360 in, as stated, for timing/belt service and a change of the spark plugs. A week later and charged $2723.44 my car was back, everything seemed well, drove home and drove the car over the next few weeks. As a usual owner, my car was not driven excessively. One Saturday, took the car out for a drive and my CEL popped up, although the car drove fairly normal, with concern I went straight home and parked it. It sat till Monday, and when it was started to check, the car was running very wrong. (I even started a thread on the forum about the issue,
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291543.)

The next day I took the worried drive to my mechanic who scanned it as cylinders 2-8 were misfiring. I called Euroquipe, thus they had performed the last service, and had the car towed to their shop. They stated an ignition coil had failed yet stated I should replaced all of them since they were deemed to go bad shortly thereafter at a price of over $3000.00, I said only to replace the one that needed replacing, completely negating the possibility of all 8 coils going bad at the same time in the same period of time, (I may not be a mechanic but the idea of replacing coils that are not bad, is completely absurd), and while the owner wasn’t happy with my decision a single coil was replaced, ($518.95 for the tow, coil and labor) the CEL was cleared and the car seemed the run better… only to have my CEL again pop up on my next ride 50 miles later… Cylinders misfiring (scanned at my mechanic).

Called Euroquipe again, which was a mistake, at this point I should’ve gone straight to Ferrari, and brought the car in again, and after 3 hours of investigating, (i.e. labor I was billed for), it was “found” that my air intake compensation ducting rods, lever, pneumatic actuator motor and related components were damaged and needed replacing. Thus, trusting their Ferrari technician said to go ahead with the service. The next week I had my car back, the “bad” parts back, and a bill for $3065.43. A week after that, and 80 miles later, my CEL is back on… Cylinders misfiring.

Directly after receiving my car back I drove immediately to my mechanic with the parts. He then hooked up my air intake compensation ducting rods, lever, pneumatic actuator to a vacuum and it everything worked perfectly. He then performed a visual inspection and tested the parts in various other ways and said the unit is fine, it’s in perfect working condition, there was no need for replacing the part at all, “drive the car until the CEL comes back on, I’m sure it will,” and he was right.

Without having any intention of Euroquipe continue to work on my car, I went over Tuesday, September 7th 2010, to seek some resolution with a perfect scenario to have my air intake compensation ducting rods, lever, pneumatic actuator motor reinstalled and my entire bill refunded, but at the very least have my labor refunded since a new part had been installed. To say the least, this did not happen… I was very cordial, calm, and collective, I explained everything that had been found out, and was greeted back to a very hostile and defensive Brad, his attitude was as if, he had been paid and being nice was no longer needed. He stated (as before) I was the ONLY Ferrari owner to never have had any problems before. He went on that the last CEL problem was fixed, the new CEL that appeared after 80 miles is something entirely different and is not at all related to their work.

At this point I decided to take the car to Ferrari in Hinsdale, and on September 14th, in it went. The scan resulted in multiple misfires, and major emission errors. They advised that poor grounds can cause the errors and recommended a complete engine ground sweep. As I write this in March of 2011, my CEL has not once reappeared. I also explained my situation with Euroquipe to the Technical Services Manager of Ferrari and had him inspect the “bad” parts I asked to have back, he said (also received in writing) that since the 360 was released in 1999 they have never replaced those parts in their shop, and a visual inspection proved perfect working parts, and I received the same results at Lake Forest SportsCars.

It gets worse, in June shortly after my timing belt service, I had ordered a new set of tires for my car, and decided to have them mounted, installed and have my wheel alignment done at Euroquipe. It was noted that prior to my wheels alignment their tech stated the right front wheel bearing was loose and at a cost of $945.00 it was replaced. After everything that went wrong I decided to have the wheels bearing checked out, at 2 independent mechanic shops and Hinsdale Ferrari, it was described as a perfect working wheel bearing. It was not loose.

Now, an experience like this with 1 car could, while very improbable, be chalked up to coincidence, yet, after my timing/belt service was performed on my 360 and before any of the problems had arisen, I thought of Euroquipe as a good, reputable shop, and thus took my 2001 BMW X5 in for service as well. The park distance control wasn’t functioning properly and I wanted an extra key, I also asked they perform an inspection of the whole car since it was recently purchased. Over $1000.00 later I had a new key, (which I was charged an extra $120.00 for because they could not figure out how to program it why should I be charged something they can’t figure out?), a park distance control system that completely failed a week later, and a nonworking AM radio which worked perfectly before. And 4 miles (literally) after leaving their shop, my engine started smoking, my entire dash lit up and I had to pull over. Later, Euroquipe claimed this to be the power steering pump failing, because it was inspected to be showing signs of wear while at their shop. My mechanic found out the actual problem, the alternator and belts were bad, and were replaced. He said my power steering pump was like new probably replaced by the previous owner shortly before I purchased it used in May for a work vehicle. Also, to get my AM radio back the car was just at BMW for service, Euroquipe said a new antenna/wiring harness was needed for the PDC as it would eventually go bad… BMW found a cable disconnected, which was connected and now my PDC front and back works perfectly.

At this point I would just advise anyone to stay away from Euroquipe, they “work” on Audi, BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, MINI and Porsche. It had been a terrible summer for my 360; I have been unable to enjoy the car most of the summer. Having to experience weeks of downtime not wanting to drive with a CEL, during the time when I should have been enjoying it the most…

Some may say it’s coincidence, yet I refuse to believe so much going wrong in such a short amount of time. My 360 previous to Euroquipe was an immensely solid 360. Preventative maintenance earns a whole new meaning when you visit Euroquipe.

2. CSanders Sr.

CSanders Sr. Rookie

Aug 7, 2009
    Barrington
    Full Name:
    C.Sanders
    I just have to ask, Why didn't you take your Ferrari to Continental or LFSC after the 1st issue? You said they had a defensive attitude and weren't addressing your complaints and you still had the time to bring your car to your mechanic to check Euroquipe's work each time. Am I missing something? Is the hourly dealership charge at an authorized Ferrari dealership that made you go elsewhere?
    I can't believe you would even take your car back there for the wheels! You didn't learn your lesson from all your previous issues? I don't get it?

3. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    As a dealer, Continental might be expensive but they are honest and good work. Sometimes saving money costs you in the long run.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Your story reminds me of a couple shops near here. Their former customers are good business for me.

5. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I've taken my Porsche to Euroquipe several times for various work. I've always been very happy with how I was treated and the work that was done. I've recommended them to many people (who have also been happy) and consider them one of the few shops I've dealt with in which I didn't feel screwed after service was done. They've always been friendly and walked me thru everything that needed to be done and gotten my okay prior to doing it. I know this doesn't help the OP, but there's always more to every story. I would also be willing to bet, LFSC and Continental have people out there with similar stories to the OP. There's always an unsatisfied customer with every company out there.

6. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    #6 F360Dave, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    The time line of events is presented very clearly - Thus the wheels were performed within the "gap" of problems shortly after the belt service and before the problems started appearing

And as stated i brought the parts to my mechanic and it was only after the last service i started checking their work

I was quoted around 5k at Ferrari, they did it for almost half - i got what i paid for....

Exactly, never again will i choose a shop based on price

Point taken - although, wanting to charge me 3k for 8 "bad" ignition coils going back at the same exact time and being upset i only wanted to change out the bad one... doesn't seem like an honest shop

7. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    I have been taking my cars to Euroquipe since I first bought one that they service. My family has been using shop owner Tim Kautz (2010 SCCA Formula Ford national champion) for service since 1975. They are by far and away the most honest shop in the business. In fact, I have reached the point where I will only considering owning car makes that Euroquipe services. In 15 years of taking cars there I have only had to return the car for the same problem once and it was at no cost to me. The reason there are so many certifications for different makes on the wall is because of each of their mechanics is certified on the differing makes they service (Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes etc.). It is also well know that local dealers trust them with their inventory cars that they do not service (Chicago Motor Cars, Lambo Chicago).

It seems strange that you appear to trust dealers even though Euroquipe’s Ferrari tech was previously a tech at LFSC (this again explains why he has certificates on the wall for Ferrari, Maserati, & Lotus). Based on your post, it seems as though you already had a mechanic you preferred ready to do your service but chose not to use him at his suggestion. You then returned to him for advice on the service he refused to perform?

Do a search here or inquire of any of the local car clubs for the makes Euroquipe services. They have a sterling reputation for service AND honesty. I’m sorry you had a bad experience but your accusations of dishonestly are simply undeserved and misguided.

8. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Lambo Chicago takes their cars "they do not service" to Euroquipe?? Are you sure about that?? Might want to check that out again.

9. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    Yes. Meaning used cars that are makes other than Lambo/Lotus that their service dept. may not want to handle.

10. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Why did you continue to return to EQ after the first bad experience? Which also begs the question; why would they accept you as a customer after having same?
    From where I sit they misdiagnosed the vacuum components and ought to face the music. Be glad they aren't your doctors.

11. Michael RPM

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    They would rather take other cars all the way to St. Charles instead of taking a Porsche 25 feet to the west (Napleton), or taking a Mercedes or Audi (Laurel) across the street, or taking a BMW (Laurel) a block to the east, or take a Bentley (Downers Grove) a mile to the west, or take a Ferrari or Maserati (Continental) a mile to the east???????

12. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    You have to remember that they used to be located off North Ave. in West Chicago. Their business stemmed from when they were located farther west.

13. twaszak1

twaszak1 Rookie

Jun 16, 2010
    We (LAmbo Chicago/FVMC) do all our inspections in house. if there is an issue with a car under warranty or that we dont have the equiptment to handle we take it to its respectful dealer (M.B, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari....)

We DO take our cars to EuroQuip for corner balance, and race alignments (if we had room, this would be done in house as well). We have had fantastic results from them, and my customers have raved about the alignments they have set up for us.

T.J.
    Fox Valley Motorcars

14. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I can't speak to Euroquipe but I have extensive experience with Continental and their shop, and the people in it, are top notch.

15. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    I returned to my mechanic with the parts that i received from Euroquipe to check if they were in fact bad. My mechanic had never performed a belt service in a 360, thus he suggested another place. Although the parts brought to him were car parts, they are not some alien parts that only Ferrari tech's have seen, therefore he was able to test the parts out. His findings were the same as Continental and LFSC, thus consistent with those, who work extensively with Ferrari's. I wish in fact, i had used him for the belt service.

Finally, I have purchased 8 cars from Chicago Motor Cars since 2007, including my 360 - i have personal relationship with Parin, and many others there, and CMC does NOT use Euroquipe to service their cars. Parin would not use them after hearing of my ordeal, and in fact helped me get in touch with LFSC to help.

My accusations are based on fact. I have not made anything up.

Apparently i have not made this crystal clear - But the parts were TESTED, by 3 different shops, 2 who work extensively on Ferrari's and were tested to be working parts. I have IN WRITING from Continental Ferrari's Technical Service Manager that the parts (air intake compensation ducting rods and components, and my wheel bearing) are working parts, that were not in need of replacing. I have IN WRITING, that since the 360 was released in 1999, Continental Ferrari, has NOT ONCE, replaced an air intake compensation ducting rods and components. I advise you to call and ask since you say my accusations are misguided. I have IN WRITING from Brad Schrock, that although 1 ignition coil was replaced, the remaining 7 should be replaced because they are bad or will be bad shortly at a cost of 3000.00. That fact alone, does not speak of an honest shop. An honest shop should replace parts when they go bad, not replace good parts - But apparently replacing good parts is Euroquipes modus operandi.

My only misguided act, was to ever go back after things started going wrong and trust them.

I urge anyone considering of going to Euroquipe for service to look elsewhere.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    This post was edited,a personal attack against Kurt was removed.
    It is one thing to post info about your experience (bad or good) but personal attacks will not be tolerated.

17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I thought Napleton lost their Porsche franchise years back? Well, it has been too many years since I had my 928 "serviced" there to be able to prove anything, so I'll just keep my yap shut.

As to Euroquipe? I was very impressed with the old Kautz Farm facilities on 38 and visited the current shop off of Tyler road quite a few times. Was considering them for air cooled 911 work, but found their price to swap a clutch on a BMW Z3 off the charts.

18. Michael RPM

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Perhaps you are thinking of a former Porsche dealer (currently a Land Rover dealer) in Hinsdale that was a block west of Continental Ferrari? That was a Jack Winter's dealership many years ago. Napleton Porsche is literally next door to Lambo Chicago in Westmont.

19. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    No, it was most certainly Ed Napleton Porsche on Ogden that "serviced" my 928.

20. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    I would like to clarify the statement that was removed was not a personal attack as said by me, but rather a remark that I had quoted as said by an employee of another shop - i would never put someone down just due to my experience - I am not trying to get my words across in such a manner

I'm doing nothing but stating the facts in this event

21. rodbuster

rodbuster Rookie

Jun 16, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It sounds to me like F360Dave has a valid complaint. Why would the three other shops give him bad info? Also Napleton Porsche is a valid franchise. They are right next store to Lambo Chicago on Ogden.

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Regardless of your source,you were questioning the validity of Euroquipe technician's experience and importance (or lack of it) of his certificates.
    You are welcome to describe your experience regarding the shop's performance but that part of your post was too personal.

23. Frasinoro

Frasinoro Rookie

Mar 23, 2011
    Land of Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Sorry to here about your bad experience. We are a specialty shop which builds hi- performance cars called Nickey Chicago. We use euroquip for specialty work and they have ALWAYS done a competent job for us.

24. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    Thank you for completely reading the story - Exactly the proof of good parts

25. FFRacer

FFRacer Rookie

Mar 31, 2011
    Dear FerrariChat Members,

Euroquipe would like to reply to some negative post’s that have recently slandered our business; this is intended to be a single response without further debate. We have resisted the urge long enough. Our policy is to stay out of mudslinging, but given the amount of omitted facts and fallacies related to the slanderous posts, a response is in order.

Chronology:

18MAY10 / 30,658 miles:
    Yes, the timing belt and spark plug service was accomplished in May, and yes, as stated the vehicle performed correctly when completed and picked up.

21JUN10 / 31,579 miles: Vehicle returns approximately 900 miles later on June 21st for tire and alignment work. During alignment procedure, the technician noted excessive play in right front wheel bearing. Customer was advised and approved replacement.

26JUL10 / 32,690 miles:
    The vehicle was towed in a month and approximately 1100 miles later on July 26th, customer stated “My car is running very rough and the CEL is on. I took it to two other shops that stated “the cam timing is off and the valves are bent”. Upon inspection, it was determined that a multiple miss-fire of cylinder #6 was the cause of the CEL. Testing of the coil indicated failure. Excessive corrosion was observed on all the ignition coils. The replacement of the remaining coils and a ground sweep was recommended and declined. The vehicle performed correctly when completed.

16AUG10 / 33,096 miles:
    Owner returns with vehicle approximately 400 miles later on August 16th, stating “The CEL is on, there is a knocking noise from the engine and the valves are bent”. Upon diagnosis, it was determined the noise was from the intake compensating linkage. Excessive wear in the ball / socket assemblies was allowing the linkage to rattle. The compensating motor was found to stick under full operating temperature, Customer was advised and approved repair. Upon completion the vehicle performed correctly with no noise present.

Summary
    While our sole objective is to please every customer, sometimes that is not possible. As stated by the owner, this vehicle has been to three or four other shops in between and after repairs at our facility. This in itself is cause for question, but coupled with the lack of quantified observations and documentation by self admitted unqualified personnel, and the unfounded, inaccurate and slanderous personal attacks on our facility and team members, we felt it necessary to set the record straight. Euroquipe follows strict manufacturer guidelines as a rule to assure reliability that allows us to warranty our repairs for specific time and mileage. Euroquipe holds the highest standards in the entire repair process including tools, parts and care. Euroquipe has heavily invested in the latest equipment to serve these needs. Be certain that technician training is quite involved, depending on course structure classes range from 1 day to 2 weeks. Many of the factory training classes have been conducted on location in Europe.

We encourage and are more than happy to answer any questions; we are prepared to provide any credentials that members wish to view.

Sincerely,
    Euroquipe, LLC.
    (630) 377-3774
    www.euroquipe.com