Beware: LG washer/dryer units... | FerrariChat

Beware: LG washer/dryer units...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by brokenarrow, Nov 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #1 brokenarrow, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
    I purchased my LG washer/dryer combo several years ago, and initially was very happy with them. At least until the washer started growing black mold inside the door and the drum. LG came out and made repairs initially, but the problem came right back. So I called LG and explained the situaiton to them, "sorry, we serviced your unit, we can't help you anymore". That was the end of that. I even bought the extended warranty. So Best Buy (where we bought it) brought us a new unit. A few months go by, we're out of warranty now, and it starts smelling again, and smelling-up the clothes--all of the clothes.

Well, a simple search turns up a few class action lawsuits regarding this issue with LG washers. I wanted you to be aware of this as I was initially very positive about these units. In the meatime, my son has developed rashes and allergies, as has my daughter. So we will be getting rid of the units. Whether these ailments have to do with the washer and dryer are uncertain, but I can assure you black mold on your clothes doesn't help. The stink is ungodly.

And I will be joining the lawsuit.

Do a search in Google and you'll get numerous hits. At least now you can make informed decisions regarding their products.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Make sure you always leave the door open (when not in use). This lets it dry out and reduces the problems.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have to clean it every week, using bleach spray and towels to wipe it down. My old Maytag top loader never needed any care. I should have taken photos of the black crud and mold I cleaned off. I can only clean what I can get to. What am I missing is what scares me. I clean the filter, the rubber gasket, and remove the additive tray--all get the bleach treatment and brushed.

I always leave the door open, and it may help, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. You have to get in there and disinfect with bleach. And while that stuff you buy may keep it smelling clean, it's very short lived. It is a commitment to own a front loader, make no mistake.

5. clickclickboom

clickclickboom Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    PA
    Full Name:
    Terry
    We have a LG set. From the start it vibrated very hard. Shook the whole house. They sent out techs and they said it was normal. Our old Maytag ran smooth. Then it started leaking. Servicemen came out three times. Tried various fixes. Still leaked. We called for service again. We were told that they could do no more and sent us a check for $700. We will never buy a LG set again. I should have read all their crappy reviews.

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I've got a GE Profiles front loader.

Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. Piece. Of. Sheeeeeeeeit. etc.

I'm thinking about using it as a toilet, and when it's full I'll send it back to GE.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of buying LG and/or GE profile...I guess i need to go back to researching.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LG should change their name to "NG" for No Good.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I've had an LG set for about 5 years. The washer has the typical odor problem if you don't leave the door open. It's typical for front-loaders (I used to own a laundromat full of them). Not really a problem and nothing you need any special products for if you simply leave the door ajar when not in use.

I have had a few problems with the washer that required replacement of a couple expensive parts. One of the main circuit boards failed and the stator (actually part of the motor) also failed. I was able to have myself designated as a warranty repair person (nobody around here at the time) and with a little creativity, got them to ship the parts to another address at wholesale price. The repair wasn't difficult (compared to a Ferrari) but if I'd had to pay a service guy, I would have been pissed off.

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Is it just me, or are the "improved" designs just worse?

I have a Maytag Neptune. There was a class action lawsuit on them, too, but I missed the window (mine failed AFTER the period, but why would I file a claim if I haven't had a problem, yet? There's a logic flaw in that Judge's thinking.). My best friend has Bosch and has had nothing but problems with them.

It just makes me wonder who's designing these appliances. Maybe it's for engineered obsolescence?

CW

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This wouldnt surprise me. Everything is nowadays. Phones, watches, cars, TVs, Xbox etc.

12. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Always wipe and dry the rubber seal and door after use. Leave the door slightly open.
    Pry open the rubber and insert a towel and wipe dry.

Otherwise it will smell like cheeze wiz.

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    They all do this... get used to it...

You would think the detergent manufacturers would start putting mold inhibitors in the "HE detergents"....

14. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    An appliance repair guy told me recently - buy cheap one. Spend $300-$400 on one that will last a few years and then toss it when the plastic bearings or circuitboards go.

Other option, which he prefers, is to check thrift stores for models that are more than 15 years old and buy those. They are much better quality (apparently) last forever.

15. roach

roach Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Los Altos
    We have a LG washer/dryer as well and experienced the moldy smell. One of the things people said was to stop using liquid detergent and use the "HE" powder ones instead. Had something to do with the fact that the liquid detergents contain animal fats that clog up some of the drains over time. Once we made the switch, we noticed the problem go away significantly.

There's also a manual drain function on our model on the bottom left of the front washer where you can drain any liquids that may have accumulated. Might be worth checking your manual to see if you also have this capability

16. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just to add a little perspective.

I have had my LG set for years... Maybe 5 or more. Not once have I had any issue. I dont do anything special, I dont use any additives, and I dont think twice about them.

After reading this thread I checked them over closely & I found zero traces of any similarities mentioned in this thread.

Lucky I guess.

17. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    here, and both ~ 20 years old and kickin just groovy. I don't get this "front-loadin' stuff", but no one ever called me the sharpest toolage in the shed.

18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm looking at washer/dryers now. But I'm going for the top load.

I may even stick to the ones that still have an agitator in them. They seem to be the most reliable.

19. italiangerman

italiangerman Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    Dammit! Now I know why all my clothes smell funny in the one home I have but not the other. Bought it (townhouse) new 5 years ago along with the expensive W/D and the clothes started going bad about 2 years ago. Never put it together til I saw this thread as one just keeps on taking care of business and, then of course, there is track time and getting ready for the track!! Thanks.
    Brian