Big brakes, what rotors are ok? F355 | FerrariChat

Big brakes, what rotors are ok? F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Oct 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Hey all,

Need advice on the rotors. I bought a big brake conversion from a Porsche (calipers).

Need to know if anyone knows what size rotor is applicable with challenge wheels, that will fit appropriately.
    I went through an old thread on this from here but the answer was no in there.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think I have the same kit as you, and it was the stock 550 front rotors
    If it fits the stock wheels, it should fit The Challenge wheels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jon Von Bon likes this.
  3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Eric 355 did that setup when he had a 355.
    A search should show what he did

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  5. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    There are some front big brake kit, but for example AP Racing does not make a rear kit.

Stoptech is probably the best solution to upgrade front and rear

The max size for the rotor possible is 355mm and it fits the Challenge wheels

6. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have a massive front rotor set up from stop tech at 14” drilled and slotted . The Calipers are brembo with an expansion block. On the rear they are brembo 355mm brembo with drilled rotors. I oscillate between Challenge wheels and stock wheel setups. I find the challenge wheel a noticeable performance upgrade but I like the stock look.

The big brake kit is a necessary mod and replaces the “girly man” brakes that the car comes with. Massive difference in performance with these.

EDIT: Make sure that you get rear rotors to accommodate the emergency brake. That is a must. I don’t like mods that adjust the cars functionality.

7. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    For the guys that upgraded brakes, did you also modify the stock Teves ABS system?

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have Stoptech Trophy front and rear. You don't need to change master cylinder,
    Stoptech picks the caliper piston to take that in account.

9. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    From what I hear from everyone, it's not an issue.

10. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    That does not help..I already have the red porsche big brake kit..

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Challenge cars has a sport calibrated abc ecu I think part number was 176516 vs the stock 148838, better check I could be chlorinating again

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I do like the look of the big brakes but mine allready lock up the wheels so not sure why you need bigger ones other than the cool factor

13. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Virtually any brakes can "lock up" the tires (or engage abs) when cold, the issue with is with heat and fade over continued use. Do a few laps on a track and you'll understand. Fade, overheating, boiling your fluid are not fun after a long straight.

14. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Mine doesn’t “lock up”. But it feels so much more robust.

My stock brakes would get “wooden” when really pressing the system for long periods of time, just knowing the hyper braking power is there gives you confidence to press the car more without braking because you know the safety of “bear claw” braking is available at anytime to reel you back in. Plus the cool factor in how it looks is worth the price of admission by itself.

3 piston set ups for the 355 will require more pressure power support ie master cylinder upgrade etc... but if you stick to the 2piston front and back, your good to go with the stock support setup. The BBK is a must for the 355 enthusiast who is keeping the car and who wants to get the most out of it.

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yeah more pistons will require more pressure

Have some big lambo 8 pistons that Im thinking of going to with 19 wheels, I think I can butter their hips and slide them in

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Err, not necessarily.

take 4 pistons with a combined area of x and then compare it to 8 pistons also with a combined area of x.
    The pressure on the brake pedal (or caliper piston) will be the same.

But most often, more pistons equals more piston area and thereby LESS pressure applies the same retardation forces.

17. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Correct, you might need the upgraded master cylinder to give more VOLUME to get the same pressure.

18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Pressure loss due to swell in the hyd play a factor al
    Yeah we missed a setup on a hot rod with these big brakes, just touching the pedal went full brake, went with a bigger bore master and modulation is perfect now

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So...Will these rotors work:
    https://ceika-store.com/products/coert55?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsp_5jsuf3gIVUQOGCh3SvQX4EAQYAyABEgJahPD_BwE

With these calipers and adapters?

https://www.paragon-products.com/Porsche-Big-Red-Caliper-p/10.0567.004.htm
    https://www.paragon-products.com/Racers-Edge-Porsche-Suspension-p/re_mc-6000.htm

Or will they be offset 50mm due to not being the Big Black calipers?

That all comes in decently cheaper than the stoptech kit to where it might make sense to do, just want to make sure it all works (and what needs adjusting) before I start ordering parts.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I think those brackets may need a shim or something similar, cant remember

The thread posted a while back had what it takes

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah, I remember them needing a few washers to move the caliper out, I'll have to go do some digging. There may have also been a better bracket that worked without adjustment.

22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I forgot who made a few brackets I have 2 of them here I can measure something if you need it. I believe they were for big red calipers

23. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My impression was that if you increased the number of pots in the caliper, you would need to change the master cylinder.
    My Brembo set up is 2 pot per corner but the pots are much much bigger and the Calipers are huge compared to the originals. It seemed to take the master cylinder more time to "pressurize" also when installing. My dads 550 has a three pot Brembo set up. When I'm back in town, i will check out the master and see if it was upgraded and report back.

24. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Maybe there is another calculation on clamping force, but I've always thought the volume was roughly the same with callipers with more pistons.
    Example, 2 3in pistons have the same area as 4 2in pistons. or 8 1.3in pistons

25. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Its all about how much pressure the master can put into the calipers. Put it in too fast you loose modulation just goes to full brake mode. Stock masters useally are the sweet spot