Black leather getting shiny | FerrariChat

Black leather getting shiny

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by billwann, May 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Hello all , I just got a 458 with black leather carbon seats and the seats are a nice matte black except the side bolsters which are kind of shiny . what can I use to make the shininess go away and look matte again like it should .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    steamer or ammo nyc leather cleaner

3. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Swissvax leather milk works really well and leaves a matte, non greasy look. For the time being if you do not have any cleaners take a damp microfiber and wipe the seats down. Follow up with a dry one if you’d like. This should help a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What causes the leather to go shiny? Too much product used on the leather, or is it wear?

5. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I have found that multiple leather conditioner applications without periodic use of a cleaner will produce an overly shiny condition.

6. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Just happens with use and not cleaning. I see a lot of cars where the steering wheels are shiny and it is because of the oils in your hands. On the seats you’re not naked (well I won’t judge if you are) but touching the bolsters getting in or out, not cleaning and letting a bunch of crap just build up over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulK likes this.
  7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Lexol should do the trick

Sent from my Galaxy

8. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    I've used a small clothing steamer (steam with no pressure) about 4-6 inches away from the leather. Wipe as you go with a good microfiber. The shiny begins when the product you are using no longer makes it's way into the leather and instead builds layers on itself... Good for a wood finishing but bad for leather. Might need 2 passes. Most of the cleaners are produced to clean off the leater top coat not remove the prior product.

When you go to apply a top quality conditioner and there are many good choices I have covered the windows with large trash bags and put the car into the sun for the day after the application to heat it up a bit. Not much different from breaking in a baseball glove as a kid when after oiling you would tuck a ball into the pocket and then put it between the dash and windshield of the family car for a day or 2 ....

: https://www.amazon.com/PurSteam-Powerful-Wrinkles-Sterilize-UltraFast-Heat/dp/B00MG2OOHK/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_rm?keywords=handheld+steam+cleaner&pd_rd_i=B00MG2OOHK&pd_rd_r=7e46a6df-3e8e-43f1-9bec-fd08e8c02272&pd_rd_w=XnR55&pd_rd_wg=aJ090&pf_rd_p=0bc35c17-1e0d-4808-b361-20ab11b00973&pf_rd_r=84ZJH0Y1AWGX1QDCVDZW&qid=1560101209&s=gateway