Bleeding 355 brakes | FerrariChat

Bleeding 355 brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tiara4300, Dec 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    After replacing my motor from timing belt service, its time to bleed the brakes. I have pressure in the pedal but no fluid coming out at the rear calipers. Is there a procedure or trick to bleed the ABS pump ? Any help is greatly appreciated,

2. andrewmr

andrewmr Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2005
    Bucks County, PA.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Turn the key on to allow the abs to work.....

3. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    If memory serves me(old man here...), if after mid 1997, the brakes cannot properly be bled with out the use of my SD-1(a v2.0 may do this, depending on the software and model, I just haven't used our SD-2 in several years)..
    However, I do remember when this became a question...I seem to remember that it is a mid year model run issue, either 97 or 98, but not later...
    "Normal bleeding" will always leave a crappy pedal....the ABS's pumping valves MUST be cycled in order that all stray gas is purged...
    TO THE BEST OF MY MEMORY....fwiw...

4. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    As I understand it, in order to do a 100% job you do need the SD to "cycle" the ABS valves - some fluid is going to be within the system and will not get flushed through without the valves being allowed to open and close. So, if you really want to do a thorough job you need to be able to "talk" to the system.

That said, you should be able to do a pretty satisfactory job of bleeding your brakes without the SD. If there's no flow from the rear caliper I'd say you've got a dodgy bleed nipple or else (less likely) you don't have any pressure going to the caliper at all due to a blockage somewhere else.

Good luck!

5. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I just did it on my 95 after installing Stoptech brakes and had the same problem. Turn on the key so the ABS is on and the fluid will come out of the bleeders

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Bingo!! We learned this little trick bleeding brakes on a friend's 355 up at Watkins Glen a few years ago. We couldn't get the brakes to bleed, was driving us crazy, when someone walked by and said "turn the key on." We did, and brakes bled just fine.

7. Arturin

Arturin Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    Spain
    #7 Arturin, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    I was about to change my brake lines for goodridge Stainless and I was thinking about this. I was thinking about bleeding the system with the car started so the ABS, vaccum and all those things are working. I´ve always done it that way in all my modern and 90`s cars and its worked fine. I guess the F-car wouldn´t be much different.

By the way, doesn´t the ABS distributor block have some bleeding nipples on it?

8. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    NO. Running the pump with the key on seems to work. I'll be testing the car out next week and know for certain. Thanks for all ofthe help guys.

9. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    How to know if there is air caught in the ABS pump (Teves)?

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The Teves system sometimes need a different way of bleeding the brakes than the Bosch system.