BMC air filters for the 550 - worth it? | FerrariChat

BMC air filters for the 550 - worth it?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by TSSCI, Feb 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TSSCI

TSSCI Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thoughts please on upgrading to these air filters on the 550. I've heard good things, but also know that most hype on meaningful horsepower increases with filters like these (which look like the K&N type) is just that - hype - and only measurable at wide-open-throttle. Wide open throttle in a 550 gets you a free 'go to jail' card in short order, so real world driving won't see me with lots of wide open throttle. Anyway, thoughts please, and also a domestic US supplier or two who you've had good experience with. Thanks!

2. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Is your car equipped with a Tubi? When I bought the Tubi for my 575M, it came with 2 free-flow Tubi airfilters. I had considered the BMC's, but dropped the idea when I got the Tubi because it already came with filters.

However, when I was searching for the BMC's, the cheapest place I found them was a NAPerformance: http://store.yahoo.com/nonturbo/ferrari.html The Koenig-Specials Sports Air Filters are BMC's.

3. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    My 550 has tubis and has the OEM paper filter. It didn't come with new filters.

And the "go to jail in short order" comment on wide open throttle, could not be said any better.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    This has been covered myriad times, with dyno sheets proving the increase from independant people like Stephen.

It's good for real horsepower. Spend the $200 and take the 10 minutes to install it. Worst case, send it back or you just wasted a couple of bucks. I did it, and really did feel it from the get go.

If you modify the shape to allow for conical filters, you will REALLY notice a difference to due laminar flow of air.

--Dan

5. TSSCI

TSSCI Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    who responded with their thoughts and leads where to purchase them. I didn't quibble a bit in buying new Porterfield pads that FerrariChat recommended for the Maranello to rid it of the garbage truck squeal at stop lights, so what's another few hundred dollars - what baby wants, baby gets!!

6. 575M-2004

575M-2004 Rookie

Feb 18, 2006
    Is there a difference between the 550 and 575 Filter sizes?

One article I was reading stated the 575M had larger airboxes?

Thanks!

7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Yes
    Totally different, 575 has bigger airboxes, airflow meters and throttle bodies.

8. 575M-2004

575M-2004 Rookie

Feb 18, 2006
    Ah, ok.
    Can anyone confirm the correct BMC 575 part number and ordering link?

I don't really see a place to specify the Car Manuf/Model or the Air Filter part number at the NAPerformance URL above. Anywhere else to purchase if u don't care about lowest price? ;)

Thx!

9. 575M-2004

575M-2004 Rookie

Feb 18, 2006
  10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    #10 stephens, Feb 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The CDA's also make working on the car much easier, as the std airbox is a bit fiddly to get out. (ie labour saver), but making sure of a positive fit to the closed bonnet takes some setting up. I think just flat panel BMC are a great value improvement, and although the CDA's are even better, their increased cost is really only worth it for "extremists" like stephens...

I also think the CDA'a are a bit hard to check/clean, as the casing isn't very service friendly.

I havent tested, but I think the gain on a 575 with BMC would be less than on 550, as the std system is better designed (larger).

On 550, the difference is night and day. (550 use the exact same filter as 355 and 456)

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Lovely!

--Dan

13. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    Got mine today, will let you guys know.

John

14. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Try:

www.factorypro.com

They are in San Rafael, CA, at 415-491-5920

Quoted price for the 208/03 racing version for the 360 was $89.95 each.

He has the whole BMC line.

15. Chuck550

Chuck550 Karting

May 15, 2001
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I've had the BMC filters in my 550 for the past year and am so used to them at this point that the initial increase in performance, although noticeable, doesn't seem like that big of a deal now. Maybe if I put the OEM filters back in I would see a difference...

16. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Would anyone (Stephen, Dan, Chuck, etc..) care to venture a guess (although, one enhanced with personal experience would always be preferable) as to how the BMC filters would compare vs. the Tubi filters as far as increased gains in performance?

I'm getting the Tubi X-pipe and tubi air filters installed this spring (already have the tubi exhaust)...can I really expect any "noticeable" increase in performance from these two additional items?

It's mainly for the enhanced sound I've been lead to expect form the x-pipe (at least, in the higher RPM range). Anyways, I'm probably doing a before and after dyno to measure real HP/TQ increases...will post if anyone is interested.

17. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I think Tubi filters are paper type filters not foam filters. Didn't do any test, but eyeballing Tubi paper filter against K&N foam filter for the 360, Tubis looked more restrictive.

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I can't speak to the filters, but the center pipe will bring you more than noticeable power. Different center pipes have different designs, and will offer different power gains.

--Dan

19. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    If the filter made that big of a difference why wouldn't Ferrari equip all their cars with it? It is just hype. :(

20. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    The same argument could be made against pretty much any aftermarket performance parts...but in regards to 550 air filters...

I am by no means an expert, as others on this board are, however my understanding is that Ferrari, like most other car manufacturers, must balance performance against other factors (such as, reliability, longevity, interaction with other mechanical systems, etc...) when deciding on final specs for individual components within a road car. Unlike race cars, which are meant to be rebuilt or at least heavily re tuned/inspected after each outing, road cars much be able to perform well over the long haul.

In respect to air filters, OEM parts are definitely considered more restrictive to airflow (and therefore, not as performance oriented as some aftermarket manufacturers) probably with an eye towards introducing less pollutants (dust, debris, etc) into the engine intake, which could lead to problems down the road....much like a vacuum cleaner or furnace, I imagine. Less restrictive flow means better air intake, means more HP per same amount of fuel burned, albeit, with more dust and debris introduced into the engine. Since Ferrari has warranties and customer concerns to worry about, a compromise had to be made. That doesn't mean that someone wouldn't be willing to change the parameters of those designs slightly in order to realize some performance gains...its just up to the individual regarding how much risk vs. performance they are willing to accept.

I am sure others here could explain it better or with more technical expertise, but this is the gist of it....

Edit: Besides, Fchatter Stephens above has posted Dyno graphs showing measureable gains from air filters alone in his 550, so its not just a "seat of the pants" improvement. Feel free to search for the dynos, I believe they are listed under "550 exhaust"?

21. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Thank you for your input gentlemen.....