BMW M3 Jack of all trades master of none! | FerrariChat

BMW M3 Jack of all trades master of none!

Discussion in 'Other German' started by boba fett, Oct 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    I am a big fan of the BMW M3 its probably the best all-round sports car you can buy, Probably.

I've had most of them except the E30 M3 (because the steering wheel is on the wrong side for blighty) and really like the E46 M3 and E92 M3, the later I missed, and recently acquired another, and its really nice to be back in one.

Here is the new one to me, its one of the rarer M cars being a Frozen black edition.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Be interested to hear who else is a fan, and what M Car they like the most.

davem, Texas Forever and 19633500GT like this.
  2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I also agree the M3 platform is one of the best bang for the buck cars you can buy.

During the summer I daily drive an E36 M3 Coupe (black/black manual). It's my second E36 (second 1999 too) and I love how it's fast 'enough' and I am not going to kill myself on these backroads (vs. taking out a hyper or super car).

I also have a '88, diamond schwartz on black leather.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Picked up a F80 6spd and feel it is the best all around vehicle. Can use it for a sprint in the mountain, or haul items around the valley. Planning on keeping the car for 10 years due to it versatility.

4. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Recently acquired an E92 M3. Another desirable model added to the stable. Price is still decent for now.

Regards

5. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Nice one, what did you get, any pictures?

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hear the e30 is magic and drove a frieds e36 which sis till a small lithe car, after that imo they increasingly lost the plot.. Have a nice runing e46 M3, and while it has plenty of power and the motor is magic its already a little large and suffers from the german inability to do great suspension, you've got hardish ride with still lots of body lean and somewhat dull steering. The opposite of my new Guila. The later cars are worse in this regard each generation heavier and more isloated, but the motors get better and better, the v8 is a special magic. Ive also seen track prepped e46 wipe the field, so the underlaying car has all the right bits.

I think my issue with the e46 onwards is they gfit heavier and heavier and became a jack of all trades, but a master of none. That all being said I've owned my e46 since new in 05 and have no intention of parting with it, it does things other modern cars do not. Would be inetresting to try a M2 Cs.

Texas Forever and 19633500GT like this.
  7. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Boba,

I don't have nice pictures but it's almost similar to yours but in white, and with a carbon fiber roof. The PO had an Akropovic exhaust installed. But before buying it, I was looking at a black E46 M3 and like it very much. It was sold before I could decide, sigh. Hence, I bought the E92 considering that the gear shift is more smoother and quicker than the SMG II. I think the car is bigger and also faster than my 550 Maranello too :D.

Regards

8. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Hi nice, you have a Frozen white? They all had a carbon roof by the way. I have got an Akra exhaust as well which sounds lovely. They are such a good car and a perfect package really.

9. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Boba,

Your car looks very aggressive and nice. I think the Akra really matches the car's V8 motor. A fast 4-seater automobile, nothing much to complain though, haha.

Regards

10. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  11. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Lovely - Worth a few bob now as well!

19633500GT likes this.
  12. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I’ve owned all models of the M3 other than the oldest and most recent including some track cars and adding in some M5s and a Z4M. I have to say that the M2C 6MT could be my favorite one yet!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VAF84, Boomhauer, boba fett and 4 others like this.
  13. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    A lot of love for the M division here - perfect modern daily blaster to dive around B roads in the UK. I owned an E46 M3/SMG for 4 years that whilst brutal and exciting in the power delivery did not compel me to keep it. I Now own a low mileage E93 M3 that has had a fair few upgrades (SSprint Exhaust, Eventuri plenum, HiFlow Cats, Apex Wheels, ECU/DCT Remap S2+, Race bearings, 8 Pot Brakes, Milltek Bushes, OEM EDC) over the last 4 years.

Absolutely love the car, what a complete sports package. No intention of selling it, if anything it'll be getting a 4.6L stroker kit next (adverse to blowers on this block). The gearbox in my view is one of the very finest and once you let it breathe easy, the engine is super, super special.

Recently added a F80 M4 Comp to the family..........very, very different. Have also driven a number of M2s which actually remind me of the E46 but are of little interest to me.

View attachment 3236209

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3236205 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84, boba fett, LjT and 1 other person like this.
  14. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    We like the M4 a lot too :)

LjT, Texas Forever and Carl A like this.
  15. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A lot of love for proper BMW's from me as well. Personally E46 M3 is about peak BMW for me. Especially CSL (so long it's manual converted). The intake noise from the carbon intake on that incredible engine...my god. What I love about that era of cars is that they are fast enough to wake you up but don't need such extreme speed that you're breaking all sorts of limits just to get some excitement going...open up a modern M4 now for a couple of seconds and you're in license losing territory proper.

boba fett, Carl A and Texas Forever like this.
  17. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I’m a big fan of the M3. I have an E36 and an E92. Unfortunately I don’t get to drive the E36 much but when I do I thoroughly enjoy it. The way the engine delivers the humble 240hp always makes me wonder why I don’t drive it more.

The E92 is my daily and I never get tired of that V8. I’m almost always in M mode after the engine is warmed up since the top setting on the DCT is so addicting with the rev matched down shifts. When I bought the E92 I always assumed I would keep it a few years and then move on to the next thing, but right now I’m having a hard time figuring out what could replace it as a DD. That V8 in a tunnel or overpass is just too perfect for me.

boba fett, Carl A, LjT and 2 others like this.
  18. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
  19. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name: