Borrani wire wheels on 308? | FerrariChat

Borrani wire wheels on 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by bobs308, Feb 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    #1 bobs308, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 1978 308 GTS has Borrani wire wheels. The previous owner told me there were only 2 shipped from the factory that year with wire wheels. The previous owner bought the car in 1985. We were high school friends; played with cars for 40 years and I bought the car from him just before he died of cancer 4 years ago. I know the wheels were on the car in 1985, but is there any way to document they were installed at the factory or maybe from the dealer in Phoenix where the car may have been purchased new? They are 14" wheels and still have the Borrani stickers on them.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Lubbock, TX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Get the window sticker, or run the car through the Classiche program at your nearest Ferrari dealer.

I've never heard of a 308 with factory-mounted wire wheels and would be extremely sceptical as a buyer without factory docs. There's nothing easier to swap than wheels, and your information doesn't come from the original buyer.

(In fact, I don't think I've seen a 206/246 with wire wheels... )

3. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    elvis's gt4 has em

4. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    #4 Argento839, Feb 17, 2008
    This Yngwie Malmsteen owned 1983 308 QV has them as well. Yngwie blew the engine and sold it "as is" to a fellow f-chatter. The engine is currently being rebuilt with high compression pistons. Yngwie had the interior including the dash and a-pillars done in connolly. It looks awesome.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Contact the Classiche Department at Ferrari in NJ. I emailed them to find out about my "2 tone" interior and they confirmed it via email that it was original. For a fee they sent documentation confirming exterior color, interior color, dashboard color, carpets, and the month/year and name of the dealer it was delivered to. If do not know if they would have the specs. on your alloy wheels but they are probably the only source of credible information unless you can locate the window sticker.

Best regards,
    Dino

6. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    The car, gorgeous. The interior, lovely. The wheels, EWWW!!! Why someone would opt for Borrani's over the QV 16's, I guess we'll never find out. They'd be too ashamed to admit to it! :D

7. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    Since my car has always had the wire wheels for the 23 years I've played with it, alloy wheels would look strange on it to me. I guess I'm old enough to think wire wheels are required on a true classic automobile. No window sticker, so I'll try the Classiche program. Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions.

Randy

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've always associated wire wheels with British and Italian cars of an era - 1940s through the 1960s, when cars had chrome bumpers and old school round headlights. With the Ferrari 'Daytona', I think we saw a transition to 'muscular' and aerodynamic over 'pretty'. By the time the Boxer/308 came along, Ferrari were using the 'penta-star' alloy design on pretty much everything, race and road, IIRC.

If you find out those wires are not original, you might see if you like the car even better with the iconic Cromodoras. Every time I clean them up, I'm reminded that the OEM wheels on my 328 are almost as famous as the car. The only wheels that come close are the Fuchs alloys on the early Porsche 911s.

Good luck either way.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #9 2NA, Feb 18, 2008
    They're just wheels, feel free to switch'em back after you buy the car.

10. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    But a 308 isn't (quite) a "true classic automobile" (yet). Even if it were, it just dont look right IMO. I would say that maybe it might look good on a 250 or even maybe a Daytona, but it just looks plain wrong on a 308. Thats just my opinion though, to each his/her own. :D

11. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Randy, I have always really liked the wires on 308s but they are very controversial. People either love them or hate them.

12. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Aren't they knock off Boranis? Then it is much more then simply swapping rims for the 16's, it's the entire upright and hub that is changed. I did the Clasiche request online and it was free, it just took a long time for them to email all the certificate and info. You need chasis number, motor number and tranny number. I would be surprised if it was from the factory. The few I've seen in person were conversions...

13. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Not sure why it took a long time for them to send you your certificate, with mine it was only a few days. BTW, the free on line Heritage Certicate will not tell whether the wheels were original. It just tells exterior/interior color, production date, model, vin #. To get additional information you have to contact the Classiche rep., in the USA its Lucy Petrone. She can contact them in Italy where they will check the file for your car and see whether they have any information about your wheels...that is free. If they have the information you need and you want written documentation there is a fee, I believe of around $250.00. From the date they got my check it took about 10 days to get my written documentation.

Best regards,
    Dino

14. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    I can see wire wheels on a 308 are a "love them or hate them" situation. Since I grew up with British cars I love the wire wheel look. Yes, I know a 1978 308 is not a true classic (yet?), I was just being a smart a**. The wheels are stamped "Ruote Borrani Milano," "14 X 6 1/2 - RW 4327 Record," and have a small round sticker on the hub with Borroni printed on it. There is a hub bolted to the rotors to mount the wheels. Like I said, I know the wheels (5) have been on there since at least 1985 when my friend bought it. Also, knowing my friends BS ability I could believe they were a dealer or first owner installed item. Since there is little possibility the car will be sold in my life time, the question of added/lesser value is not important to me, just curiosity. I have enjoyed reading all your comments because the other 308 owner here in the lonely Texas Panhandle only drives his a few hundred miles a year and doesn't have much to say about it. Can anyone please give me an e mail address or phone number to contact for information?
    Thanks, Randy

15. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hi Randy,

For information about your car trying emailing Lucy Petrone, the US Classiche Rep, her email is [email protected] .
    I hope you find the informaiton you are looking for.
    Best regards,
    Dino

16. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    Thank you Dino for the info. I'll post what I find out.

Best regards,

Randy

17. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    I requested information on my wire wheels from Lucy Petrone:

"Dear Mr. Edwards,

I inquired with the factory concerning your request. While they are unable to give me specific detail pertaining to your car, they do tell me no 308GTB/GTS was every factory built with Borrani wheels. There is no way these wheels are original from the factory but they could have been installed at the dealer or importer.

I have no additional information available at this time."

So, that answers that question. I am either surprised or saddened by the answer and still love the look on my car. I also like the alloy wheels on the other 308's. Enough said.

Thanks to all,

Randy

18. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hi Randy,

Sorry if it was not the answer you hoped to hear. But at least you have uncovered the truth about the "originality" of the wheels. If you enjoy your car with wire wheels than thats what matters.

Best regards,
    Dino

19. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I think the wires are awesome. They're expensive too.. Randy, you must have the coolest 308 on the Llano Estacado! :)

20. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    Thank you Dino. As you can imagine Ferraris are few and far between out here on the lone prairie. Every cowboy in a pick up truck wants to race me and some of those trucks are fast! It’s funny when I take it to a car show. People won’t get very close to it. It’s like there is an invisible bubble about foot and a half around it. They pull heir kids away from it fast. When my daughter drives my Corvette to a show and we set it next to the Ferrari, I love to watch the expression people have on their face when they realize the same guy owns both of them. I can see their lips move: “S*****t!” Yes, I get a kick out of both cars. I just wish by friend, Bob was here to see it. Maybe he is watching.

Randy

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Randy,

First of all welcome to the site, and I am saddened to hear of your long time friend's passing.

Secondly, as others have alluded REAL knock off Borranis would have required hub mods to install and could well have been Dealer installed at cutomer request. Many mods were done that way in the seventies and recall the car was only recently available in the US a the time.

So despite FNA's response there is no doubt in my mind that parts support to modify the hubs would have come from Ferrari, and would be required. So what you are now looking for is a dealership invoice for the parts, to support the claim of "Original" at the time of purchase...

HTH

Do you have the books? The Warranty Coupon Book for required service is a soft cover of tear out coupons.
    The first page will have hand written entries of the VIN number, the selling dealer, and the original owner. This will be invaluable in your search for additional documentation. Sadly many of the dealers are no longer in business, but if you can get lucky and track it to either coast at the time of importation, Ron Tonkin is still on the West Coast and Algar is rumored to have much of Chinetti's old papers, from New York.

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is really it...those wheels are worth about $2,500 EACH IIRC, so I wouldn't be so quick to cast stones at them......

You could easily recoup that money and buy 16" QV's but driving a Ferrari is a matter of personal expression and taste, and as you have seen from the pictures other late 70's cars ran that fitment.

As an aside the Cromodora, Campagnolo, or Speedline cast 5 spoke wheels for 1976-1979 308GTBs would have been a 14" x 7-1/2 fitment, at all four corners.

Note the wording of the FNA response........I think they are embarressed sometimes to admit how little of the 5 digit VIN cars they retained. They made careful "Build Sheets" of the 4 digit VIN cars, #0XXXX, then for a number of lean years they did not have accurate records of the options provided on the 5 digit cars, IMO.

They can tell me the colors, etc. of my three 1976-77's but little else.

"It had a horsie on it's azz, when it left here." :D :D :D

23. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    After rereading the posts I see I should have said “thanks to Dino and Parker839” for the kind comments. Thanks to BigTex for the welcome and the condolences; I have been reading 308 related posts for several months and have learned a lot. Thanks to you also for the wheel appraisal. Believe me, I cast no stones at any person’s choice of (legal) personal expression of their passion. Even if the wheels were worth twice that I wouldn’t sell them because they are part of Bob’s Ferrari. He and I talked cars just about every Saturday morning for many years; he was my brother by another mother. I miss those chats a lot and this little discussion has been great fun for me. Unfortunately I have only the owners manual and none of the warranty information. I don’t know if he bought it from the dealer in Phoenix or an individual there so I will have to see what I can find out. I have seen this before, but still don’t know what it means: IICR? Love the "Horsie" comment.

Randy

24. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hi Randy,

Sorry about the loss of your friend, Bob. Hopefully, the 308 with those special wheels will remind you of good times and car chats with Bob. If you are looking to find out the name of the dealer that the car was originally delivered to I'm sure you can get that from Lucy Petrone at Classiche. The documentation that I received from them contained the name of the dealer the car was delivered to along with the month and year it was delivered to the dealer. I'm not sure if that will be of much help in tracking down any other information about your car. Also I believe IIRC is If I Recall Correctly.

Best regards,
    Dino

25. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards