Bought a Fender using Buyee: Have I been scammed? | FerrariChat

Bought a Fender using Buyee: Have I been scammed?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 348Jeff, Jun 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just need some advice on whether I am being scammed or not :-(

A couple of weeks ago I bought a front fender for my 348 using the Buyee proxy bidding service for yahoo auctions in Japan ( ?Buyee? "Buyee" ???????????????????????? ).

Before I bid on the item I used their simple estimation tool to estimate the shipping cost to UK which came out at around 10000 yen which seemed ok.

All went well at first, the fender was a buy it now so chose that option. Buyee sent me an invoice for the purchase cost, their fees etc which I paid immediately.

Item arrives at their warehouse a few days later and they tell me that the fender needs repackaging to send it internationally so I agree whereby they send me a further invoice which i again pay immediately.

Next I get an email saying that the parcel is now oversized so cant send it by normal methods so the new cost of sending the parcel is 71,892 yen!!!! (approx £525/ $700) which is about 3 times the cost of the fender.

I've told them I'm not prepared to pay that much and have asked them to repackage it (I measured the fender on the car and its approx 14300mm long but after tgheir repackaging has now become 1600mm wich is over the 1500mm maximum). Theyve refused to do this so we are now at an impasse. Thinking of just putting in a paypal claim but ideally would like the fender if they stop messing about.

Any ideas on what to do? Anyone any experience of shipping items from Japan? Ive had car seats, wheels and all sorts of large and heavy stuff sent before by another company and the cost was nowwhere near what they are asking.

For reference they say the parcel is:

Weight: 4,720g
    -Size: 740× 250 ×1600mm ( height + width + length)

2. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #2 348Jeff, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Doesn't sound good.

Not sure what your best option is at this point.

4. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I received the following this morning after giving them an ultimatum

So I expect another invoice to arrive for repacking. Depending on the amount and the new charge for shipping Ill either swallow it or go straight to paypal claim.

Really don't recommend this company :-(

5. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #5 166&456, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    You have not been scammed. A fender is a large item relative to its weight, so computer-generated estimates are bound to be too low. Better requested a binding shipping quote before bidding - too late now.
    It is also a fragile item so to be sure the risk isn't on them for damage in transport, they probably realised they needed to frame or box it which made it oversize. Now you have the choice, take the risk or pay up... difficult. I have heard of this before with windshields etc.
    Hope you can resolve the bind.

6. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've told them to go ahead and repack it.

Just for the record I've imported items to UK in the past such as car seats, sets of wheels etc and a car seat which is not only larger but many times the weight was only about £100 to UK

7. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    They've replied this morning saying theyve repacked it and the new delivery price is 22,854 yen (£174) which is much more like it.

I've paid it - lets see what happens next...