Boxer trunk black felt | FerrariChat

Boxer trunk black felt

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ludwig, Jan 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Does anyone have a source for a comparable product to the black felt-like material used as trunk lining? It is also seemingly stretched and formed over the curved fiberglass components with no seams. Has anyone tried to duplicate this- Mine is in overall good condition but I would love to restore it to as new.

I would appreciate any input-thanks.

2. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes I am on the hunt as well...

3. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    I tried reorigionals but they didn’t have it. Said if I mailed in a sample they would try. Never got around to it. But yeah I could use it to.

4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    There is a suede-like product at www.flockit.com, mentioned in an old 365GTC4 forum about the tool kit plastic holder re-fabrication:

http://www.365gtc4.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=629

5. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    interesting but I do think its a felt material not flocking. I am getting more information now. If its a material I can re-manufacture it, if so I will keep everyone posted.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I am also on the lookout for this material for the 512BBi. It is a felt type that is easy to stretch. Luppi in Italy has it on rolls so it exsist. Don't know if he will sell it out of the door but I got a few square meters for my trunk hood when he made the interior for my Dino 246 a couple of years ago.

Best Peter

7. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Great, I would love to find a source.

8. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well guys after some research and a bunch of phone calls I have some news. It looks like the material is 1mm to 1.5mm needle punched polyurethane felt . I have some samples coming in, once I have it confirmed I will let you know. This material comes from a bunch of sources but I have one that seams to be the best here in the states. If this is the material I will send a link so you can purchase.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day all,

If Scott's samples/efforts are not fruitful I would contact Henk at HVL in the Netherlands:

http://www.carinteriors.nl/

If anyone would have the correct material, it would be Henk. I say this, as Henk was selected to restore the complete interior of the prototype Daytona... where a number of the materials were simply NLA. Henk was able to recreate the original materials and the results looked amazing. In fact I believe he is the only company that produces the original "mouse hair" material that is used on Daytona/246/365 dashes, etc.

Cheers,

Sam

10. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I'm not sure where to source it, but I believe the material is wool. It's the same stuff that lines the glove box.

11. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    sounds promising, I look forward to what you find!

12. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Guys I think I found the proper material. Its Woven wool, not spun or pressed. I found material with what appears to be the same woven pattern and thickness. I ordered 3 yards and sent it to the shop that is doing my interior. Upon initial review and tests it seams to stretch and cover in the same manner as the original material. Sometime in the next few weeks they will cover my whole front, once they do so and if the material works I will send out a link.

pshoejberg and CarbBoxer like this.
  13. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    OK- sounds great- I'd like to know the source. When I took mine off I realize that it, in fact, is not all one piece that is stretched but rather a number of pattern cut pieces that are then shaped to the position. I removed the old material then with ++ labor stripped everything down to bare fiberglass. I plan on priming with DP-90 and then a base coat single stage followed by the re-felting. I am planning to use the old removed pieces as templates to cut the new and then apply them. With the correct material, this should be perfect. Look forward to how yours comes out.

14. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Guys here is the contact for the woven wool felt, I will report back once we wrap my car:

2228 black
    54” wide

Kim Snyder
    Aetna Felt Corp
    2401 West Emaus Avenue
    Allentown PA 18103
    Ph: 610-798-0028
    Fax: 610-791-5791
    Email: [email protected]

15. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  16. Nate365

Nate365 Rookie

Oct 9, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Nate Stevens
    Scott, thank you very much for tracking this down, it looks fantastic! The area in the highlight below shows the weave pattern seen on the material on my car - - a subtle but distinctive aspect of this material. Much appreciate the legwork!

My remaining challenge is to identify a second material used for the majority of front trunk pieces for #18743 (everything EXCEPT the spare tire cover, actually). 'Fleece' is what comes to mind but it's very thin and has a backing layer which gives some strength and a surface that can handle adhesive. I'm not sure how the layers are stuck together but that 'sticky' layer has now largely failed, and the whole thing is a mess. I pulled all the panels out and would consider trying to replicate 'original' if the right material still exists, even though it looks like a pain to work with. I'm not familiar with other mid-70s Ferraris so it might have been used on other models - maybe found in period 308s, 365/400 etc?

I could believe this fleece was a cheap retrofit for the wool from some previous restoration, except that it's found throughout the interior too - including all surfaces inside the seatbelt pockets, behind the dash, under the dash, clamped behind other parts.... in all the hardest-to-fit places...so I think it's original. It's black - tho with a slight blue/green tinge in full sunlight - and has a decent feel, but seems fragile and comparatively 'cheap'. The nice wool covers only one part under the dash on my car; the interior of the glove box is a cream color felt (different from later cars, apparently), which is in good shape and doesn't need work.

Anyway thanks again for solving my mystery #1! Anyone have a lead on #2? Regards to all, Nate

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nate the material has the weave you are referring to in your circle over the whole surface, its just not photographed well enough for you to see it. My trunk had the whole area covered with the same material and did not have the fleece material you are referring to.

This weekend I will be visiting the interior shop, if he has the material installed I will be able to report back as to how well it worked. I will take some better photos of the material against the original as well as images of the whole job.

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #18 pshoejberg, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Great investigation work Scott! How much material did you order for the full front? How do I identify the exact product on the homepage (Color, product type etc)?

19. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I ordered 3 yards to be safe, it was around 250.00 USD. The model number is below, I called to order it over the phone and did not do it over the site to be sure I ordered the accurate material:

2228 Black

pshoejberg likes this.
  20. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Got my material in.
    Anyone have any advice on what type of adhesive to use or other tips?
    Maybe before and after pics?

21. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  22. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    PW I hope the felt works out nicely for you, I will not see mine installed for a few weeks. Please post pics after you install.

23. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I will be ordering soon- I saved all of the removed pieces to serve as templates. Stripped down to bare fiberglass and then am about to prime with DP 90. Then spray adhesive for the new felt.

24. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    CarbBoxer, turbo-joe and Michael Call like this.
  25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Looks amazing

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk