Boxers are undervalued | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Boxers are undervalued

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Since they had most of their run up pre-pandemic, I would think they would be pretty insulated against anything this side of a Great Depression.

The biggest at risk cars I would think are:
    1. Late model used high production cars - 458, 488, Huracan, etc
    2. Cars that were stagnant before that everyone with “new money” thought were the next big thing- Testatossa, 355, McLaren 650S.....I mean is a 355 REALLY a $300k car?

swift53, Texas Forever and AHudson like this.
  2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    ahhh....No.

swift53, Texas Forever and AHudson like this.
  3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Where is Dave (deihm) and his famous words?

""I know you BB-owners are jealous that whilst Dino values have climbed over the last few years, that BB-values have declined - but posting in this thread (Dino, my clarification) on how great-a-car BB's are will not increase the value of the BB. Its low value versus the Dino is driven by the fact that buyers rate the Dino higher than a BB."

Regards, Alberto

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I had to add "MORE" to your statement. I have bought 2 Boxers and a Euro Dino GTS over the years. I still prefer the BB over the Dino. I have to admit I am a V-12 guy having owned or extensively driven 15 different 12s over 45 years. Still have a great carb Boxer. Sold the Dino a few years back. It was has been stated that Enzo said a true Ferrari should be a V-12. Not sure if that claim is true or not. But it's true from my perspective.

bamaman likes this.
  5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto

All of the above, and many more are massive depreciating assets, or...cars. If anyone bought one thinking they'd appreciate,
    I think a bit starry eyed, yet just look at BaT / others, and some Porsches that even at 20 years are now worth double+.
    Which other car comes close? McL F1, clearly. They were only, what? 600K? 14+mill now.
    Did not have the $ then, nor now so moot point.

It is only special factory cars for 'special' customers the ones with that 'favourite child' status that will always achieve and maintain
    higher values. You know who, and what they are way before anyone else. That is so basic. Limited editions 'anything'/ Ferrari have become same as above mentioned cars.

Just like going to Maranello in the early 60's with an envelope full of $ (not a briefcase).
    but with the required knowledge of 'Il Drake', or at least know the 'dealers', and, most importantly, speak Italian, and be somebody of some standing :)
    Nowadays, all you need is lots of money to build a stable, that's all.

If you buy any car to make $$$, you ought to be in another investment sector, or have plenty of disposable income, toys, how many/ i.e. you have someone (s) pay your bills. :)

Give a child too much for x-mas and he/she will quickly bore of all, 'til next season...
    Passion is the word. A lovely Maserati GT, '04-'05, is a fantastic car worth...nothing, low 30's at best. Delightful car. for the money, nothing even comes close,
    a true GT, gobs of style, old school looks, HP galore. No takers, but this is a truly undervalued one when cared for and pristine. No devaluation now, none, as already there.
    a 430, 458 et al. all have become ho hum. 355, still cool. Look at me ma' I have a Ferrari...So what do you need now?

We (and proud to be one), of the 'old school' think different, another rationale. Carbs, screwdriver, and a string for emergency, fix it anywhere, no laptops. Gas guzzler, of course.
    When all of Italy, in every single town, there was an "Officina Specializzata Weber".
    Everything in Italy had a Weber or, 2 or 3, or 6, or at least a Dellorto or Solex.

Still think 365BB are underpriced, unfairly in relation to Dino, as well as to Daytona, yet there might eventually be some
    appreciative, passionate buyer that just does not care. Maintenance, schmaintenance. If proper PPI, I'd love one,
    certainly do not need one, but I still think a great choice.
    I would love a 365bb, all that carburation, open stacks, so cool, so hip, but that's just me rambling too much.

Regards, Alberto

2dinos and pshoejberg like this.
  6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Steve, 1000% right, a Ferrari IS a V12 or at least a flat 12, no matter, not a 6 or an 8. Yes, Ferrari by Name, or Dino,
    yet not quite. Ferrari was right on the 12 cylinder bit, it was his inspiration even if he swayed even into 2 cylinders...

Regards, Alberto

SCantera likes this.
  7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The Euro Dino I had was a sweet little car. It was restored to high standards by a guy in CA. It popped up in the Ferrari Market Letter and advertised as an FCA Platinum winner. So I flew to CA to see the owner and car. He lived in Burbank not far from the HOLLYWOOD sign. After inspecting the beauty I asked if he would take me for a drive He declined and handed me the keys. Sadly he told me he was losing his eyesight and could not drive anymore. That was his reason for selling. Although restored it had some additional fine-tuning which I addressed. I entered the car for judging at Cavallino and the car was awarded a Gold. Two year later after some additional details the little car won a Platinum. That left me in a conundrum. I had 3 choices. Drive it down to 85 pts, or continue to spend $$ to keep it a Platinum......or sell it. I chose the 3rd since values had doubled since I sold it. The car was offered to me again a few years later but I turned it down. It re-sold and I sent the Cavallino trophies to the new owner. I felt trophies belong with the car and not in my garage.

I was not looking for a Boxer when a special carbed BB popped up on FChat. Fully restored but even better improved by Carobu Engineering. They installed hotter cams and increased the intake. Stock hp is 360. My car dyno'd at 471 hp w/ 399 ft lbs of torque. I could not resist having this special Boxer. The induction roar at heavy throttle is intoxicating. What a beast.

Over my 45 years of Ferrari ownership there have been a very few cars that I think I will never sell. Right now it's my 330 GTC, an 05 QP and this BB. The 330 is my fav. The BB although not an all around car is an experience to drive. And the QP? I bought it brand new, still love it and it's not worth enough to think about selling. People ask me how much the GTC and BB are worth. I answer to me dollar-wise....ZERO.....cause I ain't selling either.

Martyt, 375+, cnpapa24 and 3 others like this.
  8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
  9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    SCantera likes this.
  10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    is that the dino i drove at your place years ago?

11. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

So after a survey population of the young guys in the shop, the recommendation to all of us is that the younger generation aren’t interest and we should get rid of them or face a significant decline in value. My anecdotal opinion is that these cars get significantly more interest and attention over all of the other Ferrari’s in a group setting. Meets, drives, shows hands down these cars are the one’s that people will stop and show the most interest in by a wide margin over the new cars from all age groups. It is a true enthusiasts Ferrari, sensory overload unlike the cars of today, a race car for the street which I agree doesn’t appeal to everyone. It’s a very specific buyer/owner for sure. Doesn’t mean that the market will collapse. Less appealing to own for the masses is a better way to sum it up.

tbakowsky likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I do agree..but with asking various customers in conversation about these vintage cars as they come and go into the shop..they do love to see them..hear them etc.

But when it comes to actually wanting to park one in thier garage and deal with sometimes difficult maintenance, and finding a mechanic local enough who will actually want/be able to service such a car can be a chore in itself..not too many will take that plunge..

4right, samsaprunoff and turbo-joe like this.
  13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Yes. But I think I remember when you drove it there were some remaining issues. Alignment and carb tweaking were needed. It had a bad mid throttle lag. Idle and full throttle were fine. Changing the jets fixed it. The car is now in CA.

14. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That’s why we love you and Paul, and others here!! Wish you guys were further South though!

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thank you! We try our best to keep these jems running..but I fear after guys like us retire..there won't be anybody else to take our place.

I have tried to train the younger guys..but the interest just isn't there. They all just want to plug in and replace parts. It's pretty bad out there. Competent trades people are getting rare as hens teeth. And that goes for all trades. Try to find a good plumber..

430tdf, turbo-joe and flash32 like this.
  16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Tom,

This can be said for those employed outside of the Trades. I am an Engineer and I am seeing it in my profession. Sadly, there are a number of people who enter their chosen field without a true interest in that field. The result are people who simply go through the motions resulting in poor or mediocre work quality. For the most part a lot of new hires demand big $ without any real understanding of what they can offer to actually generate the $ for their firm. Interesting times that I am sure will be even more interesting as time marches on and those with strong work ethics retire off.

Cheers,

Sam

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  18. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#293 4right, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    Interesting information in the BBI sales brochure related to the Zegna seats. First of all, the Zegna seats are the only seats that are referenced in the brochure, giving the impression that they were the standard seats. I always thought of these seats as an optional extra. There is a reference to the elimination of the build up of heat compared to seats completely covered in leather. Providing for a cooler environment through improved air circulation. And lastly, get this, pure virgin wool is resistant to flames in the event that the car catches on fire. Interesting that they make that comment. I always thought of the Zegna seats as a fashionable option, but apparently there were performance characteristics designed into them. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Upgrade was full leather which included the headliner. Cloth was standard, the "entry level boxer " ;)

pshoejberg and of2worlds like this.
  20. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Here's my '79 BB512 in Blu Sera (Evening Blue)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

sixcarbs, audi_328, SCantera and 7 others like this.
  21. FFmaybe

FFmaybe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
  22. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Paul, totally correct, the base car was fabric seat inserts did not call them Zegna at the time if I recall,included fabric headliner and door inserts and slim fabric piece on door pull inside the adjacent leather on door handle. Upgrade to all leather was really minimal, think only maybe couple hundred $$ when I bought my first 512BB car new in 1977.
    John

23. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
  24. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Is that also blu sera, @FFmaybe? @John B 's looked darker than I would expect for blu sera, but the lighting makes a big difference. His almost looks blu scuro in that light.

25. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    That picture of my Blu Sera BB did come out darker than my car looks in real life. The one posted by @FFmaybe looks to me like Blu Chiaro but of course, I defer to him.
    Blu Sera is a darker shade than Blu Chiaro though. Here's a pic that looks closer to the true color of Blu Sera

Image Unavailable, Please Login

71veedub likes this.