Bradan 612 Xpel wrap | FerrariChat

Bradan 612 Xpel wrap

Discussion in '612/599' started by BRADAN, Jul 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Braden I have a very similar car which also has a clear protective film which has oxidized to some degree. The film is only on up to the mid fender wells across the front as well as the mirrors.
    I talked to a couple outfits that said that removing the film could damage the paint. I believe my car has the original paint as I do not see any signs of a repaint. So I am wondering how likely is there to be a problem removing the film without damaging the paint. It does not look terrible so for now I have done nothing.
    I live in Southern CA so is there a shop in my area you would recommend?

3. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Hey sorry I don't have a recommendation for your area.

I never really run into issues with paint pulling off if you steam it and pull the film at the correct position. You do get all the tiny touch up paint people put on right before film. Just bring it to a place that does it on a regular basis and feels confident removing it.

4. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OK, what the hell is the blue foam?

6. TexasTodd

TexasTodd Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
    Foam is an excellent pre-wash. I forgot which company has the foam that seems slightly blue. There is also a company with a slightly red(pink) foam.

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    But should you be applying that in direct sunlight?

8. TexasTodd

TexasTodd Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
    If you are asking about the cleaning with foam, then the typical answer is no.....However, weather conditions are the real determining factor in this. Bradan is in NY and a sunny day could be nice and cool with high humidity. Good conditions for foam and wash of a car outside, even in direct sun.

9. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Hey Randy,

You're practically my neighbor in Somis CA, only a few miles on 118 and Lewis Rd from Camarillo!

I had my 599's front half covered by Ferrari South Bay and they outsourced it to Unique Auto Films,18750 Oxnard St, Suite 404, Tarzana CA; (310) 795-5838. Check out their website. Being a good installer, they're much in demand especially by high end car dealers and can only try to squeeze in walk-in customers on appointments. He gave me a few cards but I seem to have misplaced them in the pile on my work desk.

The owner/installer is a really super nice, young man who recommended applying XPel wrap and cautioned against using 3M wrap per his bad experience of peeling paint when 3M wrap was removed from a few cars! He told me that XPel also "self heals" when exposed to sunlight.

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #11 randkin, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Jose,
    Thanks for the information. I am not sure about what kind of clear wrap I have since I did not have it installed but I would guess it is the 3M product as I think that was the only product available in 2009 when my car first sold. I will check out to see what the owner/installer at Unique has to say about my particular situation. I have heard exactly the same paint pealing problem from several sources which has caused be to do nothing at present. I had my wife's car wrapped with EPel last year and I really like the result.
    Do you have red 599 as I have one driving around Camarillo? Send me a PM if you want to get together for coffee some time.

11. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Hey Randy,
    Yes that's me driving around Camarillo in the red 599. I take it out at least twice a week, especially on Saturdays and/or Sundays most often and run just for fun while keeping the oils flowing and keep the battery from draining.
    The owner/installer at Unique seems to be a straight up, honest fellow who's looking out for his customers' benefit / satisfaction first and not necessarily to just to make a sale. At least that's my first impression of him.
    Just returned from vacation so pls give me sometime to readjust / catch up with stuff and I'll PM you. Sit around, chat about Fcars and sip coffee sounds great! Cheers.