brake fluid colorant | FerrariChat

brake fluid colorant

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bill brooks, Nov 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    does anyone know of a hydraulic "colorant" that can be added to Dot 4 brake fluid? the blue fluid formerly offered here in the states by ATE was very useful in contrasting the typical yellow stuff now mandated by your government.
    alternately is the blue ATE fluid being "imported" by any unpatriotic soul to the states.

Schatten and vinuneuro like this.
  2. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Can you get it via Canada?

3. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I looked into this, but couldn't find anything I felt comfortable doing without risk of damaging brakes or lowering boiling points. Please post back if you find anything.

Government run amok - what is the reasoning to ban the blue stuff in the first place?!

4. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Supposedly, a fear that children searching for a tasty green, orange, or red anti-freeze beverage in the garage might drink ATE Super Blue by mistake...... or something equally as absurd.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Not at all. By federal law brake fluids are color coded to prevent mixing incompatible fluids. Silicone is blue. ATE was violating a good federal law so that people who don't know how to change fluid could accomplish the task.

ATE is not all that great a product anyway.

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Wasn't aware of that color designation! I haven't seen silicone fluid in decades.
    It was convenient, though, even for those of us who have changed fluid many times.

8. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    That's the reasoning the government provided (see official notice below). But the regulations still don't make any sense. I think all 5 DOT's are available in clear or amber color, so there's already overlap.

Sorry to the OP for getting off-topic. Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Actually, according to Standard No. 116 - Motor Vehicle Brake Fluids, S5.1.14, here are the fluid colors allowed by the government:

S5.1.14 Fluid color. Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated:

DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 non-SBBF - colorless to amber.
    DOT 5 SBBF - purple.
    Hydraulic system mineral oil - green.

10. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    You may still be able to get ATE Blue that is Blue by ordering from europe. I have switched back and forth Blue/Amber but can't remember off hand where I got the Blue from. Last two changes were amber because I had it on hand. Bruce

11. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Just my two cents worth on this ...

When I change my brake fluid I notice that the old fluid tends to be cloudy. As the new fluid begins to flow out the bleeding nipples, it is clear. I never had a problem distinguishing between the old and new fluid.

Steve