Brake issue on 458, Scuderia and F8, need help | FerrariChat

Brake issue on 458, Scuderia and F8, need help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Enzo Belair, Jan 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am having issues with the brakes on my F8, I had the same issue on my 430 Scuderia and have a friend who is having the same issue on his 458. When applying the brakes there is no grip and stopping, you just slow down, you do not come to a fast and complete stop. additionally you cannot engage the ABS there is just not enough boost in the brakes. When this came up on my Scuderia we changed the brake servo, but now I have the same issue on my F8, as do two other F8's as well as my friends 458 (BTW the issue on my car as well as the other cars with the same issue was from day one, it did not develop over time). My car is still at the dealer as they do not seam to understand no matter how many times I take them on a test drive and prove the issue.

My new thought is to use buy a brake pressure gauge and hook it up to the bleeder valve on the caliper. If i hook up the gauge will this illustrate the problem? if so does anyone know what PSI reading it should show.

Desperate for help.

2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Pads may be glazed.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #3 f355spider, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    There is an active recall for brake servo/booster on 458 and 488s
    Ferrari recalls large swath of 458 and 488 models for potential brake failure (autoblog.com)
    The booster failure on the Scuderia and 16M is well known, but no recall yet. I know four owners of Scuderias and 16Ms have either intermittent or outright failure with no power boost to the brakes...so poor braking performance, even if you stomp on the brakes. You slow, but not in the rapid fashion you expect. Replacing the booster/servo fixed it, but since there is no upgraded part, failure could happen again.

Could be the F8 uses the same booster as in the 458/488? Or a similar enough to have the same issue and Ferrari isn't aware of a problem yet?

Maybe reporting your issue can garner some attention?
    Report a Vehicle Safety Problem, Equipment Issue | NHTSA

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Last year someone had a similar issue. It was,a leaky master I think. It's an F8 so it's under warranty. Take it to a deamer and get it fixed. Don't let them tell you it's normal. If they do, as the shop manager to go out with you if he dares. Car should be able to perform an emergency stop on cold pads.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    they are telling me its normal, I know of 8 other cars with the same problem at this time ranging from 2009 to 2022, I am working with FNA and my dealer, its such a fu*^ing waste of time! they don't listen...

6. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    BTW this is my second (2nd, two cars) NEW Ferrari's with this issue, and I am going through the same BS with Ferrari that I did with the first car, my Scuderia, such a monumental waste of time. The fact that they are Ferrari, own a race team, work with Brembo to make brakes that stop cars so fast you get dizzy, is what is just making me so mad! my BMW 5 series stops in 1/2 the distance of my new F8, WTF!

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    First have the pads been properly bedded. I have fixed many of these cars and just as many have been resolved with proper bedding as replacement of the boosters.
    458, 488, F8 all take the same booster and master assembly.
    I saw these cars having issues back in as early as 2012 in the Scuderia and even went with a client to the track and we actually came up with a way to reproduce his concern.
    If your pads have been bedded in properly then you likely have a failed booster.
    Out of curiosity I would like to know what the moisture content is of the brake fluid. For years we received vehicles from the factory with 5% or more moisture content in the brakes at PDI and flushed them under warranty. Whether this is related to the premature failure of the master and booster assembly I do not know.

f355spider likes this.