355 - Brake (pressure?) regulators - what are they doing? | FerrariChat

355 Brake (pressure?) regulators - what are they doing?

Discussion in '348/355' started by MrJames, Aug 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Hey all, I'm in the midst of cleaning or replacing just about everything that brake fluid in the car touches, since mine was in such bad shape when I got it. Weak brakes due to gunk, cement-like deposits, slime, crystals, green stuff, etc. Anyway, I've got two parts for which I've ordered replacements, but I'm not at all sure what they are truly for. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what exactly these parts do, and how?

First up, part #7 in this diagram is 154309 - Brake Pressure Regulator. Since it taps the line to the right front caliper, and isn't in a position to restrict anything, I don't understand how it can regulate brake pressure.

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/Diagram/Ferrari/F355-B-GTS-Spider-Mo-52---ABS-Bosch-F1/042-Abs-Bosch-Brake-System-Valid-For-Abs-Bosch-And-355-F1-Cars-

The other one is part #8 in this diagram, 172979 - Brake Regulator. Not brake "pressure" regulator, in spite of the fact that this one looks like it could conceivably do that, and despite the fact that there is plainly such a thing as a brake pressure regulator (see above). But just a vague "regulator." I think it goes to both back wheels. (I had to order this one from the UK, so I'll be using a cleaned-out old brake hose to replace it for garage and driveway use until it gets here.)

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/Diagram/Ferrari/F355-B-GTS-Spider-Mo-52---ABS-Bosch-F1/040-Hydraulic-System-For-Abs-Bosch-Valid-For-Abs-Bosch-And-355-F1-Cars-

So what are these things (supposed to be) doing? And how? Thanks in advance!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Part 7 is not a regulator, but a pressure switch. It sends a signal to the Suspension ECU to, I believe, help stop the nose of the car diving during braking. It has been known to make a loud clicking noise when it fails.

I believe the other “regulator” is to reduce the hydraulic pressure at the rear brakes. Most braking is done at the front.

308 GTB and MrJames like this.
  3. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Thank you! Makes perfect sense.

Qavion likes this.
  4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed