Brawn: F1 could go all electric | FerrariChat

Brawn: F1 could go all electric

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Makuono, JimEakin and Tackleberry like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

This or flying cars lol. Full electric is next. It is only a matter of how long before F1 goes that way and then goes away as we know it now.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Bring back The Buzzin' Hornets!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, and they can have something really cool like a boost function operated by the fans.......................oh wait............!

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am sure the luxury brands you quote will quite easily convert to hybrid and then full electric; the writting is on the wall.

I cannot see why GTs, sports cars and racing cars cannot be electric.

Most of the big companies are gearing for it. The energy saving technology will make huge steps under market pressure, I think.

The upturn is that electric power has MASSIVE torque, and that will be like a blessing for the "hot-shoes" out there. They will be running 1/4 miles all day long !

The downturn will be the lack of noise, but that could be easily addressed. Probably you will be alble to choose your car noise like the ringtone on your cellphone!

Jaguar36 likes this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The normal complication arises lol - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137961/f1-needs-fe-permission-to-go-fully-electric--agag

Alejandro Agag says Formula 1 would need Formula E's permission if it wanted to go fully electric in the next decade.

F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn has claimed that there is "nothing to stop" the championship switching to fully electric power in future seasons.

"If in five years' time or 10 years' time or whenever there is a need, desire, wish to have a different type of power unit in Formula 1, we'll do it," Brawn told the F1 Fan Voice community website.

But FE CEO and founder Agag said such a move would not be possible due to his championship's agreement with the FIA.

"Ross said that Formula 1 could go electric in 10 years - and basically, they can't," Agag told Autosport.

"Formula E has an exclusive licence with the FIA for 25 seasons, and we've only done four.

"So the earliest Formula 1 could go electric is 2039, if we don't renew our agreement with the FIA then, but I don't see any reason why we shouldn't renew for longer.

"We have exclusivity until at least 2039 - so no electric F1 until then at least.

"If they want to talk to me then of course that's a different question - I'm always open to talk to people.

"But without talking to me there is no way they can do anything fully electric."

When asked if he interpreted Brawn's comments as F1 being threatened by FE, Agag replied: "I don't think they should be.

"I don't know if they do, they may do, but that's probably mistaken. I think we are very different and we are totally compatible.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"There is no competition whatsoever, they are [two] completely compatible series. I have great admiration for Ross Brawn, but in this case he just got the maths wrong."

Brawn also referred to FE as "very junior" in terms of its appeal and number of fans compared to F1, but Agag explained that he did not view such comments as disrespectful.

"We are very big admirers of Formula 1," he said. "We are big fans and we never change that line.

"[But] it's interesting that these comments come now because Formula E has been growing so fast.

"I think that makes quite a lot of sense - after seeing how Formula E is growing I can understand that some people in Formula 1 are thinking to go full electric.

"Even Bernie [Ecclestone] himself said a few months ago that Formula 1 should go full electric.

"But what [I understand from] those comments is that basically there may be the possibility of Formula 1 going full electric, but clearly that's not possible without talking to us because we have exclusivity with the FIA.

"They could do it outside of the FIA, but then they couldn't call it Formula 1, because Formula 1 is a name that belongs to the FIA, so the whole thing is pretty sealed."

Bas likes this.
  7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    So any of Todt’s friends can come about and get exclusivity rights for anything even slightly different than current F1s and nobody can do anything about it other than paying whatever asked or keep the same cars forever???

Bas likes this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  9. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow who ever set that up couldn't see where the industry is headed? 25 seasons? Wow no foresight at all.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think all forms of car racing will be banned before that. The end for car racing as a sport is coming.

I give it 15 more years tops.

Makuono and william like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think the interest will dry up in decades to come before motor racing is banned as dangerous, or anti-social.

I see les enthusiast in the coming generations, rather spoilt for entertainment anyway.

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    F1 all electric?

THE END

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    x1000

Nembo1777 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you invented car racing today it would be outlawed.

Car racing only survives by corporate support. Get enough people to put pressure on corporate support and you find it disappears.

I see more pressure on car makers and sponsors in the future to stop this "waste of resources" and "risk to humans".

You can't justify car racing when everyone is riding around in autonomous computer controlled vehicles. Anyone who doesn't see this as our future is blind.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    So Ross is all-in with Liberty's "how can we **** this up?" business plan.....

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  16. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Racing began when the second car rolled off the line
    As for engine sounds I'd choose that screaming goat noise

daytona355 likes this.
  17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have to be honest about Liberty as I'm somewhat ambiguous: IMHO they have done some bad (banning grid girls) but also a lot of good: Trying to get more races into the US (Miami, West coast), commercial free broadcast on US TV and I'm guessing were involved in the new aero regulations, which I expect to be great. I don't blame Liberty for the horrendous Halo (which I will never get used to) but leave that blame 100% in the FIA's corner.

So for the time being I'm with Liberty or at least more pro than con. The loss of the grid girls is a big one but if they get me a second US GP I can live with it.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree that the USA should have, at least, 2 GPs a year, even if it's at the expense of some God-forsaken places in Asia.
    I also agree that F1 need a commercial organisation to steer it, and not a bunch of pseudo-idealist politicians in Paris.
    I am suspicious, howerver, of the total number of GPs Liberty wants to introduce; 23 per year, really ?

19. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Since they are rapidly undermining the sport and destroying it, they have to fit as many races in as they can right now to make their money back before they completely and utterly destroy it, and no one wants to watch it anymore

20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Rugby is now more dangerous than F1. Many injuries each season.

Bas likes this.
  21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

So Formula E has come in useful afterall :D

daytona355 likes this.
  22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehehe, never thought I’d be grateful to fE, you guys keep that electric tech, we’ll stick with petrol and racing.... you keep your jacked up milk floats

Bas likes this.
  23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    F1 won't go electric. F1 will simply die because the ICE will be banned. With F1 gone, FE will simply be declared the new F1. Audiences will play along with the race on mobile devices. Bot Wars will be incorporated and the drivers will be removed from the car and put on control stations. There will be sections of the track where they fly, traverse water, go through obstacle courses, and provide the fans the chance to Karaoke race.

daytona355 and grnwood10 like this.
  24. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Its undeniable that electric/fuel cell tech will have a major impact on the automotive industry and subsequently on car racing.

However, I believe the most impact will come from the autonomous vehicles trend. If this is confirmed in the coming years - I don't see why not, it will take a MAJOR toll on most brands, since consumers won't need/want to own vehicles anymore since these will become transportation appliances only.

If we are using an autonomous/shared vehicle, we won't mind so much about the brand anymore. Car makers will become transportation service providers. Just.

Less vehicle sales, less allure, less market attraction. Huge disruption, hence IMO the way we see the sport today will consequently change.

Amazing times we are living.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I still think that autonomous vehicles can be manufactured by different brands and some be seen as status symbol because they are better built, offering more comfort, being more spacious, etc... Just like people don't want to dress the same, wear the same Watch, I presume a need for individuality will survive in transportation too.