Brawn: F1 could go all electric | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Brawn: F1 could go all electric

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I understand your point, however IMO that is true for a small percentage of the market. A person who drives a Corolla or a Clio doesn't care much about individuality.

Once we can't drive inside the cities without being in a EV (the signs are all there - see Diesel!) or autonomous vehicle (managed by an AI grid), humans will have find new ways of individuality.

If the majority of cars get autonomous, the use efficiency will improve substantially (less idle time - our cars are used maybe 5% of the time only), so the need for automobiles will be MUCH lower. Market will shrink immensely.
    Also the number of roads where we can drive in a spirited manner will be reduced in the opposite way the autonomous vehicle start to be the norm.

I think we are really in the verge of a huge disruption that goes much deeper than our current doubts if an Hybrid vehicle is more or less cost efficient. We are speaking of a complete new industry almost. And maybe the key features on a car won't be performance or style anymore. Its disturbing.

Think about it...we can't even drive loud cars at the track anymore :(

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The only one I want is a millennium falcon, otherwise, I’ll get by with my Ferrari’s and the rest

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and Makuono like this.
  3. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    When aircraft needed more power,range and reliability they went with turbines. Bring on turbines in F1 and forget about electrics that cant make 100 miles when its cold outside.

TurboFreak650 and daytona355 like this.
  4. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh well, when that happens, I will live in the world of vintage racing. And I will continue to drive my vintage cars as long as I can legally.

NEP, william, Makuono and 1 other person like this.
  5. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    By the time the ICE engine is abandoned by F1, most of those doom-mongers complaining about an electric future and the 'old days' will be dead. F1 only needs to focus on remaining relevant to a newer, younger audience to whom electric cars are the norm.

So far they are doing a terrible job but they have time to fix that.

william likes this.
  6. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    All-electric will never come to F1. I do find it amusing the FE thinks they will exist in 2039, or whatever. I think Brawn was hinting that in 5 years/10 years, IF there was an interest, F1 COULD go all-electric, as FE would no longer exist as an entity.

Frankly, I believe electric cars are nothing more than a fad, as they were 100 years ago. Simply can not replace the functionality of the ICE for the vast majority of ICE users. The real future is Hydrogen. But, that's a discussion for another decade (or 5).

Makuono, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, if you were my doctor I’d already have given up sunbeam! Hehehe

Electric cars the norm? Yeah, right, when’s that then? Cos for it to happen, there has to be a massive overhaul of the power grids in the UK, let alone the US where your grid is very much a lower power version than the UKs higher voltage affair. The hairy women will have to let us all build nuclear stations to produce the electric, and of course, the cost of electric will need to get frozen, but then, how will governments replace the tax revenue they get from petrol and diesel (in the UK, several 100% of the net cost of the fuel).

Then of course, manufacturers have to produce cars as good as 3 and 5 series BMWs or C and E class mercs for the masses at similar cost to the petrol and diesel versions today, and with battery tech still behind where it needs to be for range and long term performance, that’s not going to happen with the money they need to invest in research and development........ so unless future kids are going to drive G-Wizz or Nissan leafs, then I’d say the future is still petrol dominated for s long time yet.

Imagine those poor college jocks, no more turning up in their dads old bandit trans am or Camaro SS to impress the cheerleaders, they’ll be in some crappy looking Prius or Chevy Volt - coooollll, NOT. HEHEHEHE.

Still, hope it happens, as I’ll be there chasing those lovely young ladies in my ferrari or lamborghini, burning some carbon based go go juice while the jocks are working out whether to charge their iPhone or their car from the one socket in the garage! Awesome, sweet cheerleaders for Sid, everyone wins

stavura, Bas and NEP like this.
  8. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Never before did I read so much crap in one single thread.
    This place is called FERRARICHAT, I wonder what some ICE-haters do on a website like this.

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I know, it’s a bit like the holier than thou ones that come on as harbingers of doom whenever we are discussing someone getting caught speeding that want to tell us how bad speed is, how they would never go above the limit and how dangerous we all are in fast cars.

Newsflash chaps, ferrari chat is full of fast drivers, ferrari fans and people commonly known as ‘petrolheads’ who love the ICE (when created by Ferrari of course). We aren’t all that interested in electric cars unless they sit on a slot car track and have Ferrari badges on them.

On that note, our local Scalectrix dealer has a sale on at the moment, and one of the cars for sale is a Hamilton Mercedes, along with a Nico version. I was tempted to buy the elton one just so I could purposely give him a bloody massive shunt off the end of my layout into a wall! Hehe

stavura, Bas and NEP like this.
  10. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Same here!
    We used to be the Polistil Racetrack guys, back in the gorgeous 70's. The whole neighbourhood came over to play! Those were the days.
    As a matter of fact, these little racecars of that bygone era are the only electric cars I will have liked, tolerated and respected.

Ross Brawn, you once were a great man. By defending or even proposing F1 to be electric driven should result in you being banned for life in the town of Maranello.
    Enzo turns in his Grave!

Attached Files:

NEP likes this.
  11. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Good luck with that because you will be charged to enter towns/cities if you burn increasingly expensive 'go go juice' and will have ever dwindling options to refuel, as stations close and the jocks with 500 mile+ range electrics laugh at the old guy pushing his dinosaur down the street.The short term future will be rocky for both ICE engines and electrics, but beyond that ICE engines will be weekend joyrides only.

If you don't think Brawn and the new owners are contemplating that change and its impact on F1, I have some grade A swamp land for sale...

william likes this.
  12. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    ginge82, would you please explain to the dinosaurs here, where you're gonna find electricity for 1,5 billion cars?

1.Solar energy? Have you heard about the environmental impact of building and recycling of solar panels and batteries?
    2.Wind energy? Have you heard about the environmental impact of building and recycling of batteries?
    3.Coal centrals? Have you heard about the environmental impact of coal?
    4.Nuclear energy? Definitely the cleanest, apart of the radio-active waist. (Maybe it's an idea to dump it on your swamp?:D)

daytona355, stavura and NEP like this.
  13. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    I have indeed heard of the environmental impact on the production of solar facilities/wind/tidal and nuclear and I have also read that it pales in comparison to that of oil and gas. That is why that technology is the future and the mass extraction and burning of toxic fossil fuels isn't.

Swamp still for sale...

william and Jaguar36 like this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Who wants to go 8nto towns and cities with their speed cameras etc? Anyhow, I don’t care how much it costs to run the cars, if I did, I certainly wouldn’t have Ferrari’s and Bentleys etc...... jeez.... killjoy or what?

Ross Brawn wants to destroy f1, let him, he goes down in my estimations every time he opens his mouth these days

NEP likes this.
  15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’ll buy one and throw environmentalist nutcases in with the alligators bud.... how much? Oh, and I’ll have jetboat races too! Fun

16. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    F1 will go all electric and much sooner than we expect. There are no ICE powered video games or computers or smart phones. The changes in younger generations' interest in the automobile is a sad fact. And the future F1 won't be teams and manufacturers racing each other, it will be audiences racing against F1 robots who can be programed to drive in the style of famous past champions or current movie heroes. It will not be cars racing, it will be video gaming. And it will cost less and bring in more profit. As for street cars, the EV vs ICE movement isn't about the technology, its about politics.

william likes this.
  17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Perhaps. However they’re will always be a group that want fire breathing cylinders. If F1 changes so be it. There will be something else. Too many wealthy and powerful are petrol heads to let it die.

NEP and daytona355 like this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    NEP, stavura, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    A CV turbine that burned hydrogen to supply electricity and emitted water vapor would be pretty cool, IMO. With a motor for each wheel and torque vectoring, it could wipe out any ICE car.

A 2x2 electric motorcycle could also be amazing.

I'm just not all doom and gloom about it.

william likes this.
  20. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    F1 not going all-electric says Todt

SEPTEMBER 6, 2018

Jean Todt has played down suggestions F1 could switch to an all-electric formula in the future.

Recently, Liberty Media sporting boss Ross Brawn said there is "nothing to stop" the pinnacle of motor racing following the lead of Formula E.

But FIA president Todt said that notion is "nonsense".

"That will not happen," said the Frenchman.

"We're talking about two completely different racing series. Formula E cars cannot develop the same speed as in formula one. It's one of the reasons the races are in the cities -- it would not be interesting to see them at Monza for example.

"However, Formula E is developing well," Todt continued. "The race distance can now be covered by one car. This shows that motor racing can not only be a show, but also a laboratory.

"But spending time comparing Formula E and formula one is just boring," he said.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    As somebody who does not go to cities, you can have your electric cars and charge what you want because it wont affect me. But electric cars do actually make sense for cities. (Its a win win, I wont go anyway so wont be run over by some silent car, and as I live in the country you wont be able to get to me, so no more idiot hoorays wondering the lanes and complaining about the fact that there are cows and they smell etc etc!!) For everybody else...it will be ICE, probably with hydrogen. ICE is a very very long way from being dead. Not to mention the fact that people, at least in the UK are waking up to the fact that electric cars are not as environmentally friendly as advertised; little details of the environmental impact of digging up and processing lithium, and disposing of it at end of life. As with increasing cost of fossil fuels...hmmm are you not forgetting about something....I wonder what the aviation/shipping and trucking industry will use?? I'm sure you will be happy on an electric Dreamliner when that comes along...in who's lifetime????

You forgot wood pellets. Which according to the UK Gov are carbon neutral. Couple of little issues with that,: 1)the calculation does not include the fuel used to transport it from source to point of use, in most cases from some forest in the US, via truck/ship/truck to the UK. 2) Its carbon neutral on the basis that the original tree is replaced, so its only actually carbon neutral over a 25 year period...i.e. how long it takes the tree to grow back. Hmm a whole generation....not so carbon neutral after all!!!!

Problem is that there is a place for all this. But the popular press and politicians are all by and large idiots and react driven by misinformation and partial truths (electric cars) through social media! And who makes the most noise on social media......?

Its like the diesel issue. That has been know about for years...somebody correct me but wasn't this first widely reported in the New Scientist or similar back in the 70s/80s? So why only now do something about it, after first promoting it? idiots.

NEP and daytona355 like this.
  22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The fact is that renewable energies have hardly been tapped at all, and there is a huge potential there.
    Apart from some hydro-electric power stations, rivers are mostly uneploited as sources of energy.
    The biggest reserve of renewable energy are the oceans, with the tides and the currents that are totally unexploited at the moment.
    There is also solar energy that gets lip services, but is also hardly exploited.
    As for Wind power, and thermal energy from the ground, most countries ignore them.
    And, by definition, you will never run out of renewable energy, and they don't pollute either!!

Actually, there is little incentive for research on renewable energy because the governments are still firmly riding on the back of fossil fuels.
    They have no interest in helping promoting and legislating in favour of renewable energies because they get big hand-outs from the oil and gaz companies.
    If the renewable energies were only to receive a quarter of tax break that the big oïl companies are receiving, it could be a game changer.
    But oïl companies and gaz producers alike have made sure the legislative and the executive in many countries are in their Pocket.
    That's why renewable energies get a row deal, and how very little progress is made.
    Every achievement in renewable energy is welcome by guffafs in the media and derision from the politicians.

There is in fact, huge amount of money to be made worldwide in switching from fossil fuels to renewable energy, if only the project were to receive government support, instead of a constant rebuke. The convesrion to renewable energy would open the doors to massive industries, and its effect on the economy of industrialised countries would be similar to the industrial revolution, according to some economists. That should please the capitalists even more than the ecologists, but the message don't seem to get through.

23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Have you seen the average electric power enthusiast? They used to sleep in tents on Greenham common making a bloody nuisance of themselves, then they snuck about on boats trying to sabotage warships and fishing vessels, and now they harangue people like me when I drive my cars around. I wouldn’t mind, but they move out the way when you swerve to knock em over..... hardly fair. If you want to have a row with me, at least don’t run away when I offer to have the argument

Bas and Makuono like this.
  24. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Tidal is the big missed opportunity at the moment. Wind and Solar are sexy to the politicians as it makes good front page/news coverage as there is something to see. Shame they are not reliable...whereas tidal is reliable and can be predicted for decades if not centuries. So we are now spending fortunes figuring out how to store energy from renewable systems that aren't predictable. There are some great tidal projects about, but they don't get the attention and hence funding they deserve. The Uk gov also missed a big trick in not investing in the Cardiff tidal lagoon, simple technology and provides energy every day of the year! But then we are dealing with civil servants and politicians who tend not to be the brightest crayons in the pack! (Some are but the are a minority!)

william likes this.
  25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    They don't make vegan solar panels yet? :D

daytona355 likes this.