Broken down! | FerrariChat

Broken down!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by belfry, Aug 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    My 456 started to overheat driving into London last night. I pulled into a petrol station and stopped the car just as the coolant light illuminated.

Coolant was coming from the expansion tank overflow (and possibly from another location under the car but it was dark and hard to be certain). There was still some coolant left in the expansion tank.

When the car was moved for the recovery truck 2 hours later there was a trail of coolant left as we moved the car, so I'm guessing that another hose has failed.

I told the recovery mechanic that the fan had been quite noisy recently and wondered about that. I don't think that the fans are working. He was convinced that the water pump is failing as there is not much return flow into the coolant tank. he also noted that the top coolant hose got very hot very quickly so he diagnosed a water pump issue.

Any thoughts on this issue very welcome.

Many thanks

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Need to find whatever is leaking first and take it from there. Could be a bad pump, could be something more sinister. Could however have just be that hose's time to die.

Get the coolant system leak tight, topped up and bled, then take it from there.

3. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hate it when they leave the snail's trail of coolant. Best of luck getting her back up. Those hoses in the top valley between the heads take a thermal beating.

belfry likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    SRI hoses or something similar are usually a semi-permanent fix with good hose clamps, and that is what it sounds like.

Home - Scuderia Rampante

belfry likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Happen to me, it was a bad water pump. Fixed pretty quickly.

belfry and Qavion like this.
  6. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    The Ferrari independent mechanic has now had the chance to have a look at the car. He notes that the fans are not working and that the heating has stopped blowing hot. he wonders if the second part might be due to an air lock after getting hot recently.

I asked the recovery guy if the fans might be the cause of the issue and should we check the fuses/relays but her seemed convinced that the water pump was the issue.

The Ferrari mechanic will get the fans working then report back.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What happens to a water pump that causes a system to overheat as long as the belt is working and the shaft is turning? If it is not leaking have the impeller blades broken off?

brogenville likes this.
  8. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    it'll be interesting to see what the state of the water pump is. The car has 60,000 miles and previous owner was chief engineer for a Formula One racing team, although that could mean amazing care or neglect!

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If it leaks, the system eventually runs low on coolant and it over heats.
    If the impeller broke off the shaft, there is no more pumping action and the stagnant coolant overheats because it does not make it to the radiator. It blows off the top and spews all over the place.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    90% chance it is the fans not working right. Also have mechanic look at fusebox for burnt and melting at the junction of fan wires to fusebox. This is bad design. All smart people do aftermarket non-ferrari sanctioned repair to max fan efficiency and decrease loads on the fusebox improperly designed from factory to handle those fan loads. What is done is to take the out put of the fan wires and run to a relay so that the fans can run off the battery with proper sized wires. The OEM Ferrari fan wires are then used as a trigger of the relay. This gets the heavy power off the fusebox.

90% chance you got airbubbles to cause the heater issue.

1-get fans working properly super common failure with failure result as you describe.
    2-pressure test system and if passes then:
    3-fill system
    4-bleed system
    5-enjoy

F456M likes this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If even the cabin heating is not working, it sounds like coolant flow issue. i.e. assuming your aircon water recirculation pump and valve was working prior to this problem.
    I guess a main water pump could cause this, but I suppose a leak could introduce air into the system, impeding the flow. Air in the system may stop heat getting to the right bank coolant temperature sensor, thus not triggering the respective fan.

Just looking at this diagram for the aircon system, it looks like the water is supplied to the aircon hot water recirc pump via a T section on one of the radiator hoses:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I wonder if a jammed thermostat could cause these symptoms? The thermostat allows coolant to flow to the radiator.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah.. maybe not. You also said:

I assume the thermostat would be open for there to be heat transfer to the radiator hoses. Is the top hose the outlet of the radiator?

13. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    The fans have blown the 30 amp fuse. They are both ‘drawing too much current’ (whatever that means) so they’ve ordered 2 fan motors and a new fan switch. Let’s see what that does.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    fusebox: burnt and melting of junction of fan wires to fusebox
    pull fusebox out passenger footwell and inspect.

brogenville likes this.
  15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have seen my share of toasty fusebox .....

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Unfortunately, that doesn't really explain why your heater isn't working. You may have a couple of issues. Was the HVAC system operating at all? Was the blower fan working?

Do youknow the assembly number of your car? It will tell me what type of HVAC system is fitted to your car.

There is a fuse (#5) in the passenger footwell called "AC Group" (7.5 amps). I believe this powers the hot water recirc pump for heating and some other HVAC items. Pump failures are also common.

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The waterpump has a small hole so if the engine boil the cooland, the pressure is too big snd it makes the coolant pour out of the pump. From my understanding, this is a safety energency relief for the coolant system. If the fans are not working, the coolant will start to boil quite quickly. The fans must work 110% on these cars!!!

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is a separate pump for the heater, as well, at least on the Maranellos.

F456M likes this.
  19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That is not my understanding. The WP weep hole communicates to the ceramic seal in the pump turbine. When the WP wears out the seal goes bad and the weap hole is warning that you need a new pump. You can start weeping for thousands of miles before failure but failure is coming. The weep hole is like the metal screech tab that tells you your brake pads need changing. You could have 1000+ miles by the time you hear that tab squeal.

The system pressure relief is at the cap and is around 1-1.3 bar or so. The radiator, coolant tank in the 550 case, cap has 2 functions. 1 be a cap. 2 be a pressure relief valve.

brogenville, Qavion and F456M like this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    After a bit of sleuthing, I think the top radiator hose is the one coming from the thermostat (coolant flows when the thermostat is open). Image Unavailable, Please Login

The pump housing seems to have 5 pipes (HVAC hot water recirc pump pipe not shown above).

1) inlet from engine
    2) thermostat outlet to radiator top hose
    3) inlet from radiator (cooled)
    4) pump outlet to engine.

When the engine is cold, the coolant just goes from 1 to 4.
    When the thermostat is open, the pump appears to be sucking cooled coolant from the radiator, not (directly) pushing water through it. The motive force for pushing coolant to the radiator via the thermostat appears to be coolant flowing through the engine.

Experts?

Here's a shot of the back of the water pump housing. I'm not sure what the lower two ports are for.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You're a very knowledgeable fellow.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think we should wait to hear comments from the experts first ... There was some speculation in my message. ;)

23. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    #23 Timmo, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Qavion is correct. At the risk of rewording what he already wrote :

The water pump aspirates coolant from the cylinder heads, through the coolant manifolds. The pressure differential resulting from the pump's aspiration causes coolant to recirculate into the engine block through the lower port at the back of the water pump housing, whether the thermostat is open or closed.

As the thermostat remains closed during the warm up phase, the water pump pulls coolant from the manifolds and coolant will flow back into the engine block through the lower port at the back of the water pump housing, without flowing through the radiator.
    As the warm up phase ends and coolant reaches the desired temperature (90°C I believe, as suggested by the dash gauge) the thermostat opens, coolant now flows through it and through the radiator to stay at 90°C in "normal" driving conditions, flows back into the water pump housing through the large upper inlet port, then back into the engine block again through the lower port of the water pump housing.

What a water pump does in any or most ICEs is to pull coolant, no push it, and in 99% ICEs, the coolant loop is designed so that coolant is pulled out of the engine from the cylinder heads by the water pump, and flows back into the block because of the pressure differential resulting from the pump running.
    On a side note, the 12 port design of the coolant manifolds suggests to me that heat is being transferred from the engine into the coolant in a well-balanced manner between each cylinder - in my experience, not all ICEs have one coolant outlet port per cylinder in the heads.

Qavion likes this.
  24. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    The garage have fitted 2 new fan motors. They checked the fuses and connectors for the 2 fans and there is no melted material. They’ve pressure tested the system and can find no leaks. I mentioned about the amount of coolant that escaped when the car got hot (the warning light only came on 5 seconds before I shut the engine off) and I asked if this could all have come out of the expansion tank. They will look into this but there are not leaks or blown hoses. The talk above about the water pump emergency relief system confused me as I can’t tell if this happened.
    I’ll attach a photo of the coolant loss but I should note that there was some left in the bottom of the expansion tank when everything cooled down.
    Prior to the car getting hot the air on and heating worked fine during the same journey.

Qavion likes this.
  25. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt