Broken Windshield [damn!!!!] | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Broken Windshield [damn!!!!]

Discussion in '308/328' started by pgarossino, Nov 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    pro source glass international has all the original oem Ferrari & alfa romeo cars for awesome prices!!!

2. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Are you saying he now has 308 windshields in stock? I talked with Richard Tankel a few months ago and he didn't have them. Agreed that ProSource is a great place.

Best Regards,
    John M

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Not for 308's anymore! Told me the run that they had were not fitting right so NO more. Told me to check out folks in CA and GA but didn't say who exactly.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    FerrParts may have an original one, used....or a replacement new unit.

5. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Correct!!

When I spoke to him back in Nov 2011, I was told the exact same thing about the bad batch.

6. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Bummer, so where to next?

7. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Ferrparts has them for around $1000 or so shipped, tinted at the top. Or you can get the non-tinted for a bit less. I spoke with them today.

On ProSource, Richard said to me he didn't have any plans to get any more. But like I said in a earlier post, this was a few months ago.

Best Regards,
    John M

8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The Ferrparts glass is 5.87 mm thick. I just heard from them. They said they have sold many with no reported problems.

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I'll tell you, after reading through this thread AND working through our own windshield replacement process, I can tell you that I am looking at alot ( read: everyone I can ) of windshield installs, trim, etc.

I may start a seperate thread, with pictures, and let people guess what car goes with which close up pictures.

Good Thread!

S

10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I fell asleep one night and someone shoved a horseshoe up my kiester. The next day found an unopened factory windshield w/trim in the box from the factory in a shops attic space after they had just done a clean out. I posted a thread on it here. Hope I never have to replace one again.

11. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    From what I have read, FERRPARTS seems to be the viable source for a new windshield. Any alternatives? It's time for me to replace the windshield on my QV. Too many hours on the racetrack.

12. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lost

13. glassguy19

glassguy19 Rookie

Feb 15, 2016
    I have been installing auto glass for over 30 years. I was recently introduced to a company that restores Ferraris. I have never worked on older models until this time. I must say they are way harder than newer models. I am new this Ferrari forum so excuse me if I am not sure of all the exact body styles. The cars they restore are older 308's. ( I believe) they are very labor intense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome glassguy!!

Well, glass seal design has come a LONG way, since the 70s!!
    :D :D :D

Our cars are the "old black mastic", the black anodized mullions are quite large, for the day, and so in current times, it's expensive, labor intensive and easy to make a mistake.

The rear windows, of our 308s, and the earlier Dino 206/246, are concave.

So, it take large cojones to bend them enough to flex the glass and "pop" it in!
    Makes the front glass look easy!

Sigla was the original manufacturer.
    Modern problems are that Pilkington and some of the other makers often don't get the curve exactly right.

There's also a lot of car to car variance, in the hand manufactured Ferraris.

No one said life would be easy!

15. pgarossino

pgarossino Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    An update to this thread after all these years; over the last couple of weeks a couple of new windshield related points are in order:

1. There is no such thing as a Pilkington 3121 windshield for a 308. That 3121 number came from Glass Seekers, was reputed to be a Pilkington number at the time, but the truth of the matter is that Pilkington has only the 3118 windshield which is listed by them to fit 308/328 GTS/GTB and if it doesn't fit your 308 then you get to start the search that a number of us have been through. There is no such windshield part number [3121] at Pilkington, and all rumours of it being the "other" curvature are false.

2. PGI out of Australia went out of business in 2016 :-(. The PGI glass that fit my car is no longer made. There are some aftermarket shops that stocked up on Ferrari glass from PGI when they went into receivership, but once those are used, that is it. Another source bites the dust....bummer.

3. Mike Tuason is in the middle of a windshield search for his 84 QV. Look for his thread here on FChat for the latest. He has been through 4 windshields so far and the search goes on.

Later,
    Paul

16. Matzo88

Matzo88 Rookie

Jul 27, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Joachim
    Hi,

obviously they are available here in Germany.

There is a dealer who offers them since a few months in ebay Germany, actually he has 2 online starting at 375,00 €, 3 days to go and still no bids.

I know it would cost a lot of money to ship it to the U.S., but probably still a good deal...

Regards, Joachim

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...that is, IF (and that's a big IF!) these are originals, or nice copies, and will fit your car...
    As said so many times, and said again above, you can find a lot of windshields advertised as been "identical" or "308/328" windshield...which will not fit the car...some do even have a wrong color for the translucent dark band at the top, but that's not the main problem: the main problem is that their dimensions and/or curvature are not right, and they will not fit the car.
    If my memory serves me well, there were also in the past some windshields remanufactured in Poland (I believe...??) which were of a marked inferior visual quality.
    So "caveat emptor."... a low price should justify a lot of checks.
    Rgds

18. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    there is one on ebay for a $1000.00

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    From what I understand, new original ones were indeed available from Saint-Gobain here in France, two years ago, at prices between 1.300 to 2.200 €; can't find a definite proof that these are still available today, but some people specialized in windshield replacement still claim to have some. As said by all posters above, I would check the manufacturer before putting any money in one.

Rgds

20. Matzo88

Matzo88 Rookie

Jul 27, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Joachim
    ...yes you're absolutely right, but I'm not sure about Poland, I would rather say Turkey.

and it's almost certain that these are not original ones, probably it's worth a mail to ask from which manufacturer they are.

I have sent them a mail so let's wait what (and if) they answer.

Regards, Joachim

21. Matzo88

Matzo88 Rookie

Jul 27, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Joachim
    ...got a quick reply.

The manufacturer of this windshield is "Fuyao Europe" and like he said: fits perfectly w/o any problems (o.k. what else could he say....).
    It's probably worth a try when living in or around Germany, but a risk for overseas customers because of the shipping costs... it's ebay # 162892977172 in auction or ebay # 162869521371 buy it now.

Regards, Joachim

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The Mondial windshield is a different piece if glass but bonded the same way. The trim however is of a different section and therefore fitted differently too.
    The 308 has an L section with clips that’s delicate to get out. The Mondi has a flat C section that is bonded onto the glass and can be easily stripped with a long cutter.

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This is the one that’s made in Poland which is the next brand I’m going to try. This will be the fifth windshield.

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Gosh Mike, the fifth one? The first four were all "off"? Not fitting, or wrong curvature?
    I could try some leads here to see if the Saint-Gobains are still available, but the cost to have one shipped to the US, taxes, etc...might be prohibitive.
    Rgds

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Re-originals in the US has the Saint-Gobains on their internet site, at the "Ferrari 308" parts page, for 1.867,32 dollars...are they still really available, I don't know.
    I can't vouch for their conformity to the original, but Saint-Gobain is usually considered as a serious manufacturer (and they did the original windows on most 308s)
    Rgds

308 milano likes this.