Broken Windshield [damn!!!!] | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Broken Windshield [damn!!!!]

Discussion in '308/328' started by pgarossino, Nov 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Yes, fifth one the first one was Saint Gobain Sekurit and the curvature is wrong or not enough, the bottom corners of the glass sticks up a little too high so we ordered another Saint Gobain (2nd) except this one, not only has the same issue but it was also crack when it arrived so that’s no good. So now, we ordere the third windshield from Glass Seekers in NY who they claimed that they get their glass from Pilkington in UK and has the “Sigla” name on the glass so one month later it arrive and when trying to fit, the curvature is wrong again in fact it was worst than the Saint Gobain (photo) you can actually put your pinky finger between the gap so now Glass Seekers said they want to try a different vendor in Uk the fourth windshield but this one will not have the “Sigla” only Pilkington and I was think, it’s goingt to be the same problem since it’s made by the same company, well guess what, it did gave us exact same problem. So now GTO Engineering from LA highly recommended the URO Glass from Poland that they have been using on numbers of 308 and 328 and have been very happy with as far as fitment is concerned so, we ordered one from GTO Engineering last week and this would be the 5th windshield, in fact it just arrived yesterday so Wish me luck.

If this fifth windshield still doesn’t work I have two more options, next one would be the PGI Glass from Australia, by the way, everything that Paul (pgarossino) said about PGI Glass is true and the second option is to find a used original Sigla windshield made in Germany. So there’s my story so far, this all started seven months ago and I miss my car :(

2. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    FYI — Last time I shipped a windshield to France I think it ran about $1300. Packing was about $100.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Man, That sucks; who would believe That it could be so hard to simply find a windshield That fits? I'm touching wood for number five, Mike..
    Rgds

4. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! I also hugging and knocking on wood.

5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow! In 30 years of body shop experience I’ve never seen a front glass fit so poorly inless the vehicle had landed on its top LOL
    Which begs the question, how can four Glass companies get it so wrong? as it costs a substantial amount to manufacture these. And who did they think would keep one of these? Something doesn’t add up.. did Ferrari change the front a pillar structure at some point and not notify? Mind boggling.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Hand-built cars.

I've heard stories that pre-360 (which has the aluminum panels stamped and mass produced by Alcoa), the line workers would try out 4-5 panels on a given car until they found one that fit the best. When I was trying to get going in the carbon fiber parts business, one of the constant problems on the pre-98 cars was the inconsistent panel shapes and gaps. If you took a 308 panel and fabricated a mold from it, there was little guarantee that the panel was going to fit other 308s.

308 milano likes this.
  7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks for this! I work 200 hours every other 14 days and I honestly forgot that my 308 is a handbuilt car. Haha! Something to be said for sleep deprivation.

8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not only the 308s are hand built when Pilkington bought Sigla Co. in Germany they also took possession of the mold. Jim from GT Car Parts explained to why this is very common problem for the 308, When Pilkington makes Glass for the 308, they would of course use the original mold and that’s where the problem start, they don’t have a 308 to try on the windshield and make adjustments instead, they’re just relying on the mold and hoping it will fit any or all 308s which is wrong, as mentioned above not all 308 are the same. I’m just now learning that this is a very common problem for the 308. I have heard a few who also went through several windshield before they finally found and that fits.

Also like to add that it’s true that our 308 are hand built that’s why I think our car are way under valued.

9. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    Has anyone tried a custom glass fabricator? They're def not cheap. And not OEM, but probably quicker and cheaper than trial and error with a bunch of windshields.

10. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    #135 greg288, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Did anyone else see the episode of Wheeler Dealers where they had the old Saab with the broken windshield that they couldn't source? They ended going to Kotto Auto Glass in La Habra, Ca. where the owner has 5,000 windshields on premises. He matches the old glass to another windshield for curvature and then proceeds to mark it for size, scores both sides and sets it on fire to allow him to break off the edges.........pretty amazing. He insists on having the actual car present to ensure fit and he definitely has done quite a few as he made it look so easy. I think they ended up going to a Saab show and people were asking where they got the windshield :cool:. As Cuddy K said above, I'm sure it is not cheap nor OEM with the proper tint band and insignia.

Rosey likes this.