Building a slightly tweeked 2v drysump motor | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Building a slightly tweeked 2v drysump motor

Discussion in '308/328' started by duck.co.za, Nov 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Moving right along. Nice work Dave.

2. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #102 duck.co.za, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Made the cam pulleys and some tensioner bearing outers a while back . Had the outers hard anodised and the pulley inners a set in red and a set in silver .
    Used the SKF bearing on the tensioner bearings with the split center race although now I see there is an upgraded bearing with a one piece center race .
    The cam pulleys use the std/old belt nothing fansy !!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #103 duck.co.za, Nov 8, 2010
    Take a look at the oil filter housings ?? On the wet sump motor the oil comes from the cooler into the filter housing through the filter and into the main center gallery . So the oil is pumped through the oil cooler on the pressure side ?
    On the drysump instead of going out the side of the block to the cooler it is pumped up the extra gallery to the filter housig , where it is filtered and feed to the same center main galley .
    So the oil in the drysump motor is cooled on the scavenge side as per what Sean said .
    In the last pic you can see on the drysump block the outlet is not drilled , that would go to the cooler on a wetsump motor .

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Great stuff Dave. Really really fantastic. Those cam gears are just excellent

5. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #105 duck.co.za, Feb 7, 2011
  6. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That looks fantastic. Great stuff.

7. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks John and thanks for the info re jetting

8. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    You ARE moving fast!

Looks great Dave.

9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    +a lot!

10. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #110 duck.co.za, Feb 18, 2011
  11. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    I had a local hydraulic hose shop make new oil lines and fuel lines, using SS braid armored hose. Most areas have shops like this, and they can make anything you want, at reasonable prices.

12. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Hey, when did this get all button up?? :eek:

Dave, looks like you will be wining this round on who gets it in the car first. :)

13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Dave, you are going to have a bit of difficulty installing the engine with the a/c mounts in place. I tried doing so and was unfortunately unable to get it in. Also, have you done a leak test on the motor yet? I am incredibly glad I did one on mine prior to installing as I had a leaky exhaust valve in the mix. Looking like jewelry there! (nice jewelry, not the trashy stuff btw)

14. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Chris looks like your motors coming on to ! As for the XDI wiring , that looks like a big job ?
    John aircon mount is just sitting there loose , just ticking all the boxes that I have everything . Seeing that I never took this part of the car/motor apart ( bought it bits !! remember )
    Dennis , been thinking about that I must checkif there's someone in the area that can do it .
    Just found that one of the threads on my oil cooler is not great !!!! So maybe I'll change that line to Aeroquip and see how it goes ??
    Airbox cover and box got a new coat of crackle black today , must still do the oil tank ?

15. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Thanks Dave.

The TEC3r wiring is keeping me up at nights. And i haven't even started splicing anything.

My thinking is, if i keep looking and analyzing pictures i might just figure it out. :)

16. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some more progress . Just maybe we fire it up tomorrow ??
    Oh well sorry guys seems I need to pay ??? But no one tells me that ??? So I can't upload the pic's of the motor in the car !!!!!

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    See what happens when I am away for a bit, it's all buttoned up and ready to go all of a sudden.
    Looks great Dave! Now go pay your subscription so we can see that puppy in the car. Make sure your fire-extinguisher is charged and turn the key. My fingers are firmly crossed, good luck!

18. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Jack

Just wish I had had a courteous reminder . Pic's are on "the other forum" .

19. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #119 chrismorse, Apr 1, 2011
  20. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Neat work . Tell us more about the thermostat ? Sounds like a good plan . What size bores does it have ? What size Aeroquip did you use ?
    The bore of the std pipe is big and I was careful not to use a smaller bore .

21. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    +1 on it being Neat Work. I might have to (unabashadely) copy using the black / silver fittings on ss lines for my next rebuild. Right now I have normal blue / red fittings on my ss fuel lines, but man, those are sharp - you could almost pass them off as a moden OEM setup.

22. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    It is all -12, cooler fittings, lines and hose. The thermostat opens at 180 degrees F and has -12 fittings. The elbow with a nut allows the oil line to come off of the filter housing without "clocking" problems.

The biggest challenge was to get the hose lengths right so that the thermostat and lines weren't rubbing or hitting anything.

It takes about 6 miles of steady 50mph driving to get the temp up to about 160, in 60 degree ambient air - a huge improvement. a bit longer to get to 180.

I have tracked the car and notice no real difference in oiltemp with the fan on or off. so it only really is of use if the car is hot and stationary.

It is difficult to make a comparison of the two coolers relative effectiveness because i also made a lot of other changes to the car abut that time. IIRC, the cooler wa about $150 -- way cheaper than the half size replacement ferrari cooler then available cooler from GT car parts.

I had to fabricate a few small metal brackets to bount the cooler and trim the fiberglass cooler shroud a bit to fit the slightly taller cooler. The mocal cooler was a bit narrower than the stock cooler, so i installed a bit of foam to keeep all of the air going through the cooler.
    The system has been completely reliable and leak free.

chris

23. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #123 duck.co.za, Apr 2, 2011
    The pipe I replaced was - 12 ( So we agree on that one ) . What I found interesting was I stole the banjo fitting off one of my 360 motors for the return to the oil tank ( had to weld the aeroquip male thread onto it ). Ferrari got very clever and it's not a std banjo bolt as I know it ( as in on the carbs ) . It's the banjo housing with an alenkey bolt in the base and then a cover on the otherside . There's nothing that goes right through hindering the oil flow . If you look closely in the pic's you can see it on the oil tank and it does not have it's end cover on yet .

24. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Very nice Dave! BTW, your jets are on their way.

25. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Big thanks John , appreciate that .