Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by finnerty, May 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #126 arizonaitalian, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Sadly this is the latest one I have from 8 days ago...supposedly its getting unloaded at Pit Stop Auto Detailing in Scottsdale later today. The team there will be doing a paint correction, putting clear film on the front and then doing a ceramic coating. My ETA for seeing/driving the car remains "late October"...sigh...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thank goodness...I was already thinking about how I would put electrical tape over it or something :eek:

(oh wait...I can just rub some of the sticky goo off of a nearby part and smear that over the light...problem solved! Well done Maserati!)

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So, on my 2013, the passenger air bag off light flashes for just a few seconds at start up and then goes away.

4. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    @arizonaitalian and @finnerty how are your GT’s doing? Do you still have them? Any issues?

I’m looking at new cars now and looking at the BMW X3 and X5 as well as the Maserati Grecale or a used GranTurismo.

I found this 2017 Maserati GranTurismo Sport with 7,957 miles, clean Carfax, and 3 owners. I thought that seemed like a lot. I do think this is a beautiful car, but I have the same concern as you all had about the sticky parts (especially when I can buy a brand new car that won’t have sticky buttons). I do really love this blue/black combo.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    The Maserati Gran Turismo is such an amazing car; Pininfarina design / Ferrari F136 engine and usable rear seats. We bought ours new in Oct 2010 and still have it, even after my wife received her Portofino M last year. Sticky buttons are very easy to clean and give you an excuse to sit in your car in the garage. We did have a fairly expensive oil leak at the 10 year service, but everything else has just been tires and batteries.

We have an X5 as well, but there is just no comparison.

Attached Files:

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Very nice! I see you also have a black Z3. I have a black 2019 Z4 right now. It seems we have very similar taste in cars!

rob5819 likes this.
  7. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Just hit 20 years with my 2003 E85 Z4. I spent the last week teaching my nephew how to drive a manual transmission (he is obsessed now):

Stephanie likes this.
  8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #133 arizonaitalian, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
    I only kept that car for about a year. Being honest, I didn't love it. The looks were a 10. The sound was good. The interior was lux. Its a great cruiser (I guess GT - as the name suggests). But it wasn't for me - so my take isn't so much about the car, as it is also about what I want in a sports car. I greatly preferred the earlier 2-seat Maserati Gransport Spyder that I had. Much smaller package, more sports car like handling. The GT was just too big and heavy for me and the slush box auto just cemented that dynamic. I haven't driven a Z4, but you might feel the same way coming from that. Try to get an extended test drive in the Maser...its chalk and cheese with an small sport Ute (X3/X5) you are also considering of course...

So...despite how it didn't thrill me, for an "around town" lux GT cruiser, at the $50-60k you can get a good one for, its a great fit. Gotta add, I think they are "in general" light maint vs. some other Italians and I had zero issues with mine in the short year I had it (nor did I expect any if I held it longer). Its a fun car to own, even if its only for a while. You can always get "another bimmer" and blend in with the hoards of them in a place like where you live. The Maser will stand out from the BMW crowd, that's for sure. And you can always trade out to something else later on...

Stephanie likes this.
  9. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I appreciate your feedback!! Happy 4th of July weekend! :)

10. Skywalker1983

Skywalker1983 Rookie

Aug 10, 2023
    Full Name:
    Luca Grieco
    Dear all,

I am looking for a Grancabrio with <30k miles and I have heard about the rooftop mechanism scratching the soft roof when down for long trips. Has anyone experienced such an issue ? Was it related only to specific years and fixed afterward?

11. David993s

David993s Karting

Jul 4, 2008
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    David
    I just started visiting this forum as I've been looking at a couple of Gran Turismo's as a stable mate to my 360. I think preferably a 2011 to 2014 is my age range. Looking for a coupe only, and preferably a subtle color such as black, white, gray. Interior color open. Reasonable mileage is OK but up-to-date documented service is required.

Looked at a 2011 at the authorized Maserati dealer in Indianapolis, but it had gawd-awful wheels and a bad case of the stickies. The second one I looked at was a white 2014 at a place called Carmel Motors in Indianapolis. I should have read their reviews before making the trip (1.5 hrs each way). They described the car as excellent, but it had several cosmetic issues and the warning lights on the dash were lit up like a Christmas tree.....CEL, battery, TPMS, the little wrench, etc. And it was a Gran Turismo Sport and was clearly down on power as it was noticeably less responsive than the '11 we drove. Needless to say, I passed.

I've found another in Chicago that I could be interested in, but again it's a bit of a drive 4 hrs each way. I just wouldn't buy one sight-unseen.

All leads and advice are much appreciated.
    Cheers.

12. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I’ve had my 2018 GranTurismo since 8/5 and have been using it as a daily and I’m enjoying it. :)

thecarreaper and Ferrari 360 CS like this.