Buying Ferrari from Franchise Dealership vs Indep Dealership | FerrariChat

Buying Ferrari from Franchise Dealership vs Indep Dealership

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Budd311, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Budd311

Budd311 Rookie

Sep 21, 2018
    I am new to Ferrari and looking to make my first purchase into the brand. Question for the group is when buying a Ferrari, in my case a 458, is it advised I go thru a franchise vs indep? I know certain collector and/or older cars do not really fall under the same situation and this is not really a one-size-fits all question and answer. Looking for candid advice as a noobie into the brand.

I will say one franchsie dealer advocated buying from franchise carries a lot of value, espeically for resale/trade in. This is the only opinion I have - but can be considered bias. Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you build up a relationship with your local Ferrari sales guys (I've never met a woman) where you convince them you have the money and you don't have to ask your mommy's permission to buy a car, they can keep you informed about when a good car is coming in. (Ferrari dealers as a rule don't buy used cars. They are typically consignment trade ins on new cars.) But, if the time comes and a good car hits the ground, be prepared to move on it. Don't start waffling around. You either buy the damn thing or you don't.

The main problem with negotiating on a used car at a Ferrari dealer is the sales price is controlled by the customer, many of whom have inflated ideas on the value of their car. However, the closer the new car comes to being on the ground, the more realistic the customer becomes. So, it pays to be patient. But there are limits. A Ferrari dealer can call one of maybe a dozen independents and the cosigned car is gone in an hour.

Independents, however, vary. More and more independents are also cosigning cars, which gets into the same problem as mentioned above, i.e., the owners are unrealistic. Some, however, are working with their own money. They have $X dollars into a "unit," and their business model is to sell each unit for $X + $Y dollars.

But in both cases, YOU need to decide what a car is worth to YOU. You need to do your homework. It helps to have access to the Manheim auction numbers. However, you also need to understand nobody is going to sell you a car for wholesale. They're in this to make a buck, you're not.

Truth be known, for many of us, the search is most of the fun. It is very much like big-game hunting. You keep looking and looking until you bag that very special car. Good luck!

Jaguar36, AClark, randkin and 3 others like this.
  3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    TF covered it. I’ll only add one simple, quick thing;

Yes, you can buy from a Ferrari dealer, or an independent dealer or an individual.

We all do buy from any and all of those. Just be smart and do your due diligence. (It’s a used car...and for the most part even a ferrari dealer is a used car dealer in that sense.)

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    God I hope that isn’t true....depressing and says so much about what these “cars” really are and what those owners are really wanting.

Caeruleus11 and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hi, my name is TF...

6. Budd311

Budd311 Rookie

Sep 21, 2018
    Thank you for the candid and detailed advice. I will admit I am enjoying the 'hunt' aspect of it, as I do with most of my auto-toy purchases. I have narrowed down what I want and now it is all about finding it. One last question is would you suggest a warranty on a 458 as I will most likely be buying from a dealership and adding this to the sale. I am looking at cars under 15K miles, some below 5K, so while I can assume these are low mileage cars, I am not sure if I am buying a warranty is more piece of mind vs something that has a high probability of being useful. Side note, I am a driver and drive/track my cars, so it will not be sitting in the garage. Thank you in advance!

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yes, I would get a Ferrari warranty. Service is a major profit center for dealers, and parts are a major profit center for Ferrari. On the older cars, say over 7 years old, I would go with an independent mechanic and third-party work arounds for problem areas.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LARRYH likes this.
  8. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

I would get a ppi done regardless of where you are buying from at an independent location. Or if buying out of state, make sure the selling dealer will be responsible for any thing that will fail a state safety inspection.

Budd311 and Texas Forever like this.
  9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Personally I prefer a franchised dealer, simply because it builds a relationship for future allocations. Also, they can throw in things such as extended warranties or free maintenance if those are things that you would care for.

I see very little benefit to buying from an independent. You gain all the downsides of buying from a dealership (higher prices, dealer doc fees etc.) with very little of the upsides. I actually prefer a private individual over an independent dealership.

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017

What he said ^^^

Budd311 likes this.