Buying new computer | FerrariChat

Buying new computer

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Tspringer, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    My current machine, a AMD T-bird 1.2 Gig with 256 RAM and and some sort of 2.5 year old 64meg video card is giving me so much trouble, Its time to replace.

Unless someone wants to try and help me figure out how to fix it. My browser crashes every 5 min. All sorts of different errors most related to various .DLL files and such. I have no idea what a .DLL is.

Anyhow.... I was thinking of getting a new box at Circuit City. They seem to have some decent deals. What should I look for if I want a good box for business use and such but will also play games. I will also use it with my home network that has 4 other PCs (all PIIIs and such) on it.

I have to buy whatever Im going to get pretty quick. Im trying to load up any and all business expenses in the next month for tax purposes. Gotta play that tax writeoff game like a pro if you want to win...

Thanks!

Fang

2. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Download a program called tuneup utilities 2003 from download.com. Has a free 30 day trial. Run the update and run all the scans twice and let it fix everything.

Make sure the fan on your video card is running.
    Update your video drivers, Install the latest direct X.

Polish and wax the case for a glossy finish.

That should fix it up good as new.

If you do get another one get an orphan or display model from circuit city or where ever. These have had an extensive burn in period, they are dirt cheap and you can get the same good insurance. Buy that and you get brand new one if it breaks.

3. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Do you have a cd burner or another harddrive? What you need is a format. Burn all of your essential files and then format. It will wipe all of your files, and you can just transfer all of your files from the cd over to the hard drive. Reinstall your drivers and you will be good to go.

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    What OS are you running? XP, 2000, NT, 98....???

Before you buy new, it's likely you're machine is not up to date, may have a virus or spyware, and you may have a bunch of installed programs that load when the PC starts slowing it down.

My dad was having similar problems and after I cleand his start up, installed some virus software (free from grisoft.com) and removed a bunch of progams he does not use, he PC booted in about 5-seconds instead of the 60-seconds it had been taking. Took me all of 5-minutes to fix his PC. He had stuff booting with his PC and didn't even know it. Not saying you're like most, but most people install stuff on their PC using the "standard install" and it loads their PC with a bunch of crap they don't need.

It sounds like you may have more issues than that what with all the DLL errors. First, I'd back up any files you deem important (tax stuff, personal stuff, etc on to a CD-Rom). Next, FORMAT your hard drive. This will ERASE everything so make sure you keep what you want. Put in your Windows XP disk (if you don't have XP, get it. It's much more stable than just about anything else). Let the disk install. Go to MS, and update XP with all the patches. Their's a lot so if you're using dial up it will take awhile.

The other option is to call a local shop (NOT BEST BUY OR CIRCUIT CITY - find a local store that sells just computer parts and custome systems) and have them fix it. It will probably cost you all of $150 bucks. Much cheaper than a new system. The AMD1.2 is plenty fast to run just about anything. The only thing you may want to add is more memory. More memory is always better.

And if you decide on new, Dell really does make some good stuff. I actually build my own stuff which is better than anything you'll get from a retailer, but if you'd rather not mess with that, go with Dell.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/11/24/dell.call.centers.ap/index.html

If you can make it a work PC, they're no longer using India for customer support.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A *.dll is a "dynamically linked library". Application programs are very large lthese days, and to slim the typical memory image down, and to allow sharing of code between applicationis, *.dll's are used. Dlls can be updated without bothering the original software package, and have other advantages.

However, it seems that one or more of your files is corrupt, so a good house cleaning is in order (as other colleges mentioned). Unless you are lusting for more speed and power, your current amchine is just fine in the performance department.