C8 Z06 FPC Crate engine for older Ferraris? | FerrariChat

C8 Z06 FPC Crate engine for older Ferraris?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by VAF84, Oct 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Sacrilege, I know. However, hard to resist the idea of a modern FPC power plant with cheaper than Ferrari replacement parts, that revs high, might be more dependable, and already sounds like a 458; for the 355 - F430 model range.

I don’t think a person with a perfectly good powertrain would, but I think there’s a strong possibility of this happening. What do y’all think? Will we see widespread use of this motor in the second hand market? Anything is possible with unlimited cash, but I mean from a reasonable economic standpoint (if factoring having to do multiple majors or a rebuild)?

2. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I think finding a transmission outside of the factory GM unit that will work would probably be the most difficult part.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VAF84 likes this.
  3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    maybe they will sell complete drivetrain package. just imagine this engine in a 360 or 430

VAF84 likes this.
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    my guess is, you'll be able to pick up a slightly used drivetrain not long after production starts. ;)
    if the engine was still in the front ... no bueno :p

Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84 and EastMemphis like this.
  5. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Now there's an idea

VAF84 likes this.
  6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No.

Just a big N and O from me.

I never liked the idea of people swapping engines on older Ferraris back in the day but back then the cars were viewed largely as old race cars and of a specific utility. We have the benefit of hindsight along with higher production numbers and better reliability.

7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

All I'm saying is, give a 360 or F430 a C8 Z06 powertrain swap. Now you your car sounds like a 458, will run care-free for 100k (with relatively cheap fixes from the GM dealer if parts wear out), and hang with modern exotics at speed. Not a bad proposition.

LightGuy likes this.
  8. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    Personally, the 430 sounds better to me than a 458 and the 355 sounds better than all of them. The engine bay of a 430 is a work of art in my opinion. Besides, its not just the engine and the transmission you'd have to replace. If I want to go faster in my f430, I'd more likely put an UGR kit on it and bring it up to 1350 bhp and smoke nearly everything on the road.

VAF84 likes this.
  9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Only question is if chassis can handle extra 200 hp