News

Cabin blower motor

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Dazanz, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Hello
    The fan that is below the vents in the dash board that is located behind the centre mounted gauges has become noisey. I believe I will need to remove it and replace the bushes or instal a new motor.
    Can someone give me advice on the easiest way to get to this motor. And where I can get a replacement if required
    Thank you
    Daren

2. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Sorry car is a 1976 365 GT4 2+2

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Would be nice if there was a modern more efficient more powerful motor available.

4. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Yes I would be. Not sure if I need to remove the top of the dash board or pull out the centre console to be able to remove that fan and motor unit. It just had slightly noisey bushes but after a big drive today it sounds like the blades are scrapping a little bit so I suspect the bushes are completely worn out

5. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    If the control of this blower is the button immediately to the left of the autoradio location, the blower in question is the fan for the air conditionner and it is located inside a complete unit, item 31 on the page below:

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/365-gtc4-coachwork/cooling-heating/heaters-blowers-30364

In addition to the fan, this unit also contains the evaporator.

If you look from below the steering wheel, you can see a part of this unit located in front of the centre console. There are no dismounting instructions for this unit in the 365GTC4 repair manual or in the 400i workshop manual.

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I seem to recall that in the Boxer and the 308 forums this has been covered extensively. Also it seems to me that "Spaal" has some suitable motors. I hope this helps. Jq.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So it sounds like you're going to pretty much have to disassemble the entire dash and maybe even console to remove the fan.

8. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Yes I Carnt find any previous topics on this that relate to a GT4. I have started trying to remove the top of the dash board and then I am hoping to remove the black plastic piece that goes on top of the metal evaporater unit in the hope I can then pop the motor out through the top and not have to pull the whole evaporater unit out.
    Hope I am on the right track

9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Fat chance! I have had the centre console out, and the evaporator/fan unit sits directly behind it. I don't think, IIRC, that removing the dash pad will achieve anything, except, perhaps, to gain access under the dash vents to properly seal them with new foam. I have had the 308 unit out, and the motors are held in by screws that can only be accessed by removing the whole unit. I predict some mission creep. BTW, mine need doing too, and I'm thinking of selling the car rather than doing them.

10. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Yep your right. Centre console needs to come out to remove the whole unit. Oh well did need to replace the foam as it was worn out and lots of the bolts weren't tight enough

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Pictures! (or it never happened)

12. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I agree

13. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I removed the dash pad and the centre console. Was easier than I thought. After removing the evapaorator and dismantling the cabin blower motor, I found that a motor magnet had fallen off but is in otherwise very good condition. So some motor magnet glue and a clean and lube and I hopefully will be driving again very soon.

SCREWDRIVER FOUND
    One very cool thing happened. When I removed the evaporater I found a very dirty but nice screwdriver.
    I wondered if it was left there when the 365 got its body/suspension/engine estoration in 1996 in Britain but apon googling the brand name I found it's a very old Italian brand of tools so I Beleive it was dropped behind the evaporater at the Ferrari factory when it was being built in 1976. (Records suggest the Ferrari has stayed in Britain all its life)
    The USAG brand was established in 1926, when entrepreneur Hermann Amos built the first manufacturing plant in Gemonio, Italy under the name Utensileria Società
    Anonima Gemonio.

Attached Files:

Schumi likes this.
  14. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks for these pictures, congratulations on the find!

USAG has made tool chests with the Ferrari Logo on them.

15. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nice find! And thanks for the pics. Did taking off the dash pad make any difference, or will it slide out the front? Any extra pics? (or better yet, a step by step guide :D)

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Professional Ferrari Technician Owner Consultant

Dec 26, 2001
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  17. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I removed the evaporater unit again today as it was a too noisey. (It was prior to the motor magnet coming loose) I will order a spal blower fan unit and fit in its place with out modifying the evaporater box hopefully and also hope I get a lot more air flow/quieter sound.
    This time I just removed the centre console and glove box and it slide out to the passenger side.(RHD/Hoses may get in the way of a LHD) The dash board did have to be lifted 70 mm to get clearance. I haven't bolted it in 100% yet so raising it up in place was easy.
    There is a step by step guide in la-Ferrari.com. When I have time I'll post a link