News

Cadmium plating

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by russh, Jun 19, 2020.

1. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi, I am looking for someone in the Bay Area that does cadmium plating for a restoration that I am working on. I found one place in Sacramento, but they don't really plate small parts since they only use a large tank. The place that I used many years ago, Industrial Plating Company in San Carlos is long gone.

2. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    David
    Cadmium plating is no longer legal at least in California. The gold chromate conversion is claimed to be hazardous and cancer causing. Most guys yellow zinc plate parts now If they want that appearance

3. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi David,
    Thank you for your response. I have become aware of this. But, I wanted to see if there are any plating companies around in the Bay Area. I know that it is still available in Sacramento, and is used in the airline industry. I have started to look into clear and yellow zinc plating.

4. cls

cls Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My experience was, CAD platers will deal with a few known customers (my mechanic on my 356 got things CAD plated,) but otherwise the platers only have larger industrial customers. It doesn't seem like it's illegal, just restricted.

5. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    David
    I guess banned might be a better word. Exemptions would typically apply to aerospace or military contractors. I used to be a manger at a large commercial products manufacturer in San Francisco and we had our own barrel playing line that was shut down due to regulation changes. We went from chromate conversion to a silicate conversion then to no cadmium and implementation and change over to zinc plating.

6. 2dinos

2dinos Formula 3

Jan 13, 2007
    Industrial Plating was great!
    Now I use:
    Sanford Metal Plating in MP - > 650.327.5172
    EPS Plating in Hayward -> 510.786.1881

EPS did my my Dino calipers 20 years ago, and they still look great and they're still there. Sanford has done many parts for me with great results. They have a nice Mil-spec lubricious coating I've had good luck with. EPS has done some plating which they shipped back to me after I dropped off to save me the drive. Very cool.

7. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Thank you very much. I was starting to look into EPS Plating in Hayward. I contacted them recently and they were in the process of restarting back up after they had to close down.

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    After lots of research for a new plater, local place stopped because according to them and a few other places I talked to in aerospace plating.. CA has banned cadmium plating for automotive..go figure.

Using a place up in WA.. they can also do conversion coatings on magnesium.
    Queen City plating.
    https://queencityplating.com

9. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Thank you for the information, I will follow up with them to see what their requirements are for small items.