Cali T battery light | FerrariChat

Cali T battery light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by James cln, Nov 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Well my 2015 Cali T has a red battery cel - also says Alternator failure . Check w obd and no faults ! Checked out battery ( new 4 mos old ) , alternator , starter - everything checks fine. Car runs fine battery stays charged . Not sure what could be problem - instrument cluster? Help - thanks , james in San Antonio Texas

2. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline

3. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    No one has responded- can anyone help me w this problem CEL ? Thanks

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    First off, have you posted in the California section? I have a 360 so I'm not sure if this is a common thing.
    Second, the battery light is not a CEL (Check Engine Light), so you probably won't see any codes related to it.
    Third, do you keep your car on a battery tender? Ferraris are famous for eating their battery due to their constant standby current...immobilizers, computers, etc. and the alternators are not always well equipped to handle the demands of all of it.
    Fourth, what kind of battery did you put in?

5. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Thanks , new interstate same as OEM , charging is good

6. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Wahhh , still have CeL - alternator failure but car runs great ! Alternator putting out voltage properly, new oem battery tests fine . Dealer just says alternator needs to be pulled- 8 hrs . Alternator is charging FINE !! Driving putting out 13-14 volts . Must have to do w dash sensor that shows fault ?? Don’t know what to do .

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    While that's not too bad for the DC voltage, have you also measured the AC voltage at the battery (with the engine at say ~2K RPM and the low beam headlights "on")? Should be quite low, near 0V.

8. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Huh ? Doesn’t the alternator have a diode rectifier circuit that filters out ac , Steve ? Maybe you’re saying if there is ac voltage that means problem with diodes? I will try it . Thanks

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Correct. Your DC result is good enough that the alternator warning light on an older car would not show anything bad going on, but maybe they added some smarts into your modern car's system, and it is detecting an amount of AC that it doesn't like (or the smarts themselves have failed). If you measure that a large AC component is present, that would justify the Dealer's recommendation to replace or rebuild it. If not, I suspect the smarts have gone stupid ;)

10. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hi Steve , you are a genius!! Nobody, including AD could tell me what the problem is . Yep am seeing 30 Volts Ac at battery. Rebuilder here says they can’t get diode pac :-(( . Also this thing requires pulling suspension parts just to get it out . Any way I might put an external diode or rectifier in line where battery is?? Or if the ac doesn’t hurt anything - how could I turn off dumb light ?? Thanks so much, Steve , james

11. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, that's a clue that things aren't OK ;)

No, no way to do it externally -- you'll have to rebuild/replace the alternator. On an old car, with just a point ignition and no ECUs, you could probably just live with it, but your modern car is filled with ECUs and big over-voltage spikes are not good for them -- some risk that they can get blown up.

Complexity is great -- until it doesn't work!

13. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Wow , yep I figured that Steve. I have been driving it til now and me thinks I have been fortunate I didn’t burn something up.I have to drive her to the guy who will r&r alternator . Do you happen to know on the 4 leads to the hot side of battery, which one could I dis connect to dis connect the naughty alternator and run for a short time on battery? Thanks so much , james

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, I don't have any Cali t wiring information.

15. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Wahhh , just had Ferrari dealer install brand new alternator 1500 bucks and guess what - still have alternator light !! Can’t be reset !! Now what ?? :-((
    Ps charging fine :-(

16. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hi Steve - you won’t believe this :Wahhh , just had Ferrari dealer install brand new alternator 1500 bucks and guess what - still have alternator light !! Can’t be reset !! Now what ?? :-((
    Ps charging fine :-(

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't help you with that (but I find "can't be reset" to really mean "we don't have the capability, or knowledge, to reset" ;)).

By "charging fine" do you mean both the DC and AC voltages are now as expected for a properly working alternator?

18. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Yep

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  20. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    well I have in another shop that has computer that should reset but it won’t. BTW I checked ac voltage on my new GMC Denali truck idling w lights on - guess what? 30 volts ac ! Wow ! Now put in new alternator and Stll have same cel - don’t know what to do -they are suggesting new ignition ECU :-(

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you sure the multimeter isn't autoscaling and reporting 30 mV AC (not 30 V AC)? Otherwise, I'd suspect that your multimeter is wacko if you get the same very bad AC results on multiple vehicles.

22. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hmm ok

23. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    So now what ?? I have a shop now telling me they Think it is the main ECU ? Don’t know what to do .