Cali T roof issues | FerrariChat

Cali T roof issues

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rule12b, Oct 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    So I'm posting this about our 2015 Cali T because the dealer can't look at the car until November. . .

When trying to put the top down, it gives a roof failure warning in mid-evolution. Specifically, it stops when it would normally open the trunk-lid to accept the folding roof. So, you put the roof back to closed, no problem (fortunately).

At the same time, the trunk button for opening the trunk normally no longer responds. It' dead UNLESS, you use the release on the driver's door which will cycle it.

I checked the fuse (f38) in the driver's footwell and it's good. I'm not going to bother checking the relay in the passenger footwell because i have no way to test it. No leaks evident anywhere. Battery is fully conditioned at at full charge. I'm guessing something prevents the car from unlatching the lid to accept the top (which sounds a lot less $$$ to resolve than a faulty mechanical) Anyone else had this experience?

2. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I heard somewhere that a vw dealer might be able to help because the top mechanism is the same one found in a Volkswagen Eos

Sent from my SM-G781V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    There are some Hall motion sensors soldered into the wiring harness for the top, if one of those goes bad, you can get "roof failure" warnings and the top will stop moving. My guess would be either a bad Hall sensor that's stopping the process before the rear deck tilts back, or perhaps a bad microswitch somewhere so the deck believes it cannot go back -- or just a mechanical failure in that part of the process. It should be generating a warning message that the dealer can read, usually "implausible position" or something like that in Italian ;)

It's a complicated assembly, and probably best left in the hands of the dealer. There is a procedure for operating the top manually, I believe it's in the manual and is rather involved (requires two people) but perhaps you can at least put the top down so you can enjoy the car in the interim -- in good weather, of course.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. BobbyBilly

BobbyBilly Rookie

Sep 10, 2021
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Robert Williams
    Try moving the trunk shelf up and firmly back down. It could be slightly out of position and tripping a sensor.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  5. junior_money

junior_money Rookie

May 25, 2022
    Full Name:
    Junior
    Trying to trace the same issue, what ended up being the problem?

6. oldman1982

oldman1982 Rookie

Jun 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Harris M
    my 2010 cali also like this. when roof failure warning randomly pops up, i just jiggle the trunk shelf (the shelf that surround the spare tire) up and down, and push close roof, then warning cleared up itself

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I had this happen as well and I did the same to resolve it. After cycling the little shelf in the trunk up and down a few times, the roof worked again no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Excatly the same issue with my 17 Cali excepted this issue happend after one month and half without driving my car and battery tender was not connected.
    Engine start without problem, tried to open the roof and the trunk did not open (roof alarm).
    At the same time, the trunk button for opening the trunk normally no longer responds. It' dead unless, you use the release on the driver's door which will cycle it.
    I decide to drive the car 30 minutes and tried again, the roof opened normally, and trunk button worked again.
    No problem anymore, battery voltage was probably too low to perform the complete roof opening cycle.

9. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If the car is running voltage should be ok, as the alternator is keeping it around 14V in order to charge the battery.

10. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    #10 lucasines, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    You are rigth, regulator is keeping around 14v to charge the battery, but I have solved this issue by driving a little bit before to stop the engine, start again & open the roof succefully, good to mention.
    Car wasn't running since 1 month and half.
    Volts vs Max Amperes availability.
    Same thing with my Mercedes, if I let the car in the garage for a month, I can start the engine but not use the stop and go electric brake (need amperes) before to drive and charge a little bit more the battery.
    Battery charge priority before to use more electric power

11. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
  12. oldman1982

oldman1982 Rookie

Jun 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Harris M
    happened to me too. i did not charge the car for only 2 days, when i turn engine on i got roof failure, when i want to close roof, it can not complete the action. feels like no power. with bunch of warnings (overheat, pls close roof, bla bla). i drove home, charge fully after 2 days until green, jiggle the trunk shelf, then all normal again. dunno whats wrong. maybe battery and trunk shelf. not sure

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sure amperage needs to be there, but that is more important when it comes to starting the car, than operating the roof. If the car starts, you should have enough to operate the roof.

I had an intermittent hall sensor error, that would only operate when the battery was newly charged. Apparently the sensors are very sensitive. Since the sensor has been changed we have not experienced any roof issues, even if the car is left without the trickle charger for a week.

14. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    After experience with my Cali 30 (39000 km) I get in 2017 a 17 Cali ( still with original battery, lucky ? 37000 Km). Car was left 1 month and half without tender after a 2000 km drive in a week, engine start normally, no error message, except that I have to run a little bit before to open the roof again (if not the trunk doesn't open from trunk button, but it open with left door trunk button). All the roof's sensors are ok. Just to mention my experience.