Cali T...underrated! | FerrariChat

Cali T...underrated!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by HardTen, Jul 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I’ve owned and driven more than one F car over the years, but IMHO the Cali T is an amazingly underrated car. Everything about the car is exemplary from the sound to the comfort, the performance, the top down experience, and the overall F car experience. Just an amazing car!

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Me as well, agree with everything you just said

3. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I never owned a Cali T, but I owned two Calis (2010 and 2012). Amazing cars!

gregwang and 695 like this.
  4. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    and before the Pandemic they were a tremendous bang for the buck but pricing has corrected since

whatheheck likes this.
  5. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

I have the CaliT and a 599. My take is that the first gen Cali received its derogatory opinion due to the first gen being overall during first years of production simply quite a disaster (at least until the final years of production and the heavily improved 30), which meant that the infame of the name California afflicted the later T throughout its whole production years. Derided for what the first gen was, while few actually realized that the T was actually an entirely different vehicle. This has been a blessing for those of us who bought low mile CaliT’s at bargain prices prior to the Pandemic. I don’t think that its just the post pandemic used car price increases that have buoyed the used CaliT prices, rather that like this post, the Cali is losing its negative image, mainly because older gen 1 cars have now been sorted with upgrades and are becoming finally 100% reliable (and cheap) cars they weren’t while new. The stigma around the Cali name took 15 years to cure, and the CaliT was unjustly afflicted by it. The CaliT is a tremendous car, and I don’t feel I’m missing any of the Ferrari DNA when I drive it. No longer a bargain, but I have mine and it isn’t going anywhere. Last I looked my 7k miles car is 30-50k more than I paid for it. Sticker new was 265k on my car, and getting it at half that with 6k miles was in my eyes an unbelievable gift. I am still scratching my head why Ferrari purists reviled this car.

HardTen and whatheheck like this.
  6. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Curious, and I’m not being argumentative or slighting your post in any way, what are you basing the negative stigma of the first gen Calis on? I had a 2010 and a 2012. Nothing negative coming from me. Great cars. Also, the most successful model in Ferrari history after the launch. I think there are a ton of current owners who would agree with me as well. Other than some sticky buttons, my cars were bulletproof, never one issue.

gregwang and 695 like this.
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The Cali T will age very well. I’ve always liked them a great deal.

8. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

#8 Inadeje, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    The initial production models have well documented issues. I was careful to specify that reality in my post. What were the problems? Well, the list was so long…wallowing suspension, cracked headers, DCT sensors, transmission, roof failures, dead batteries after a few days, engine failures, etc. One only has to interrogate google. The spirit of my post was to underline why that stigma marred the California name, somewhat unjustly where the CaliT was concerned. Again, this is just my opinion, and as a CaliT owner I studied the model profoundly prior to purchase. As many know, the first gen 30 resolved many of the known issues, including a modified transmission with even different ratios.

9. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks. I never knew there was a stigma that affected Cali T sales. I never bought one because it kinda felt like it lost its sole from the original Cali. But, that was just me personally and I am not making any blanket statements here. Just didn’t feel the love after driving it. Funny how they sell the heck out of the original Cali, but then the original Cali is the reason the Cali T didn’t sell.

gregwang likes this.
  10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The styling was polarizing when the original Cali was released ... people thought the rear end was too large, the stacked exhaust tips were mocked, the crazy rear taillight wiring on the US cars due to laws against having brake lights on a moving part of the car (rear lid swings back when the top is being operated) ... and people thought the car was too "soft" to be a "true Ferrari" and felt it was underpowered off the line. At the time, the F430 was being replaced by the 458, so of course they dialed back the California some. But it was intended to be a GT. First car with the DCT gearbox, and it has some teething issues with the wiring for the internal speed sensor. But the reality is, people were quick to hate it as soon as they saw it, even before the car arrived at dealerships. It was mocked as a lady's car -- mostly by people who've never even driven one, let alone owned any Ferrari. It didn't help that Paris Hilton bought one ;)

We all know what happened, it became a huge seller. In 2013, Ferrari really improved the car with the California 30, losing 60 pounds, adding 30 horsepower and re-gearing the DCT so it is much more alive and responsive off the line. They also upgraded the DCT wiring so it was more reliable than the original. The Cali 30 is a great car, I owned one for three years and drove both a 2012 and a 2013 when I was in the market. The 2013 was an easy decision coming out of an F430.

The Cali T, aside from the different sound with the turbos, just made everything even better ... the car is very fast, handling is great, the exhaust with the HS Speciale mufflers is satisfying (although the NA 30 still sounds better), the rear and front styling of the car is improved and more inline with the F12. Mine has 22k miles now and has been pretty much bulletproof (had it 2+ years). I drive it everywhere. I'm sure the Portofino is a great car, and the Portofino M looks even better, but I can't justify the expense to go from the T to a Portofino, and while the styling of the Portofino has grown on me, I still prefer the California T's looks.

I've flirted with a 458/488 and they are marvelous cars and so much fun to drive, but when I get back in the Cali T, the car is so much more usable I've resisted the temptation to make the move. I just know I won't drive it was often as I drive the Cali T, and if it's not raining (or snowing), that's exactly what I am driving.

whatheheck and SLViper1 like this.
  11. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is much closer to what really happened, not sure about header and engine failures, DCT and top issues on some cars, tends to get amplified on forums, plenty of original Cali's with 10s of thousands of trouble free miles, free maintenance etc. Cali 30 Improved, Cali T is an awesome machine and excellent GT!

John Geiger and whatheheck like this.
  12. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    The problem with the Cali T is its name. Ferrari should have never launched it with that name IMO. Too much stigma with the previous Cali.

It is a fantastic car. Halfway the price of a Portofino but not half the car. Bar a few things I’d say it’s on par or the same …for me anyway.

Its a fantastic GT drive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.
  13. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    From someone who has driven the Port the T and the Original.

14. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    whatheheck, SLViper1 and russellmcg like this.
  15. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I have had my Cali T for 18 months and still smile every time I drive it- hell, I smile when I see it in the driveway. Looks, performance and panache, plus it fits a friend, 2 golf bags and gear for a weekend getaway. The choice was Cali T or 911 Turbo Cab, I chose right. My only regret is that in this market I just won't pay MSRP or more for a 2 year old Portofino.

HardTen and rob5819 like this.