call me stupid, again | Page 3 | FerrariChat

call me stupid, again

Discussion in '308/328' started by st@ven, Aug 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yes I checked the regulation.

it actually pretty stupid: for first allowance of any new model on the road they do require two spearate systems. However for the anual inspection the only thing needed is a working handbrake. So my setup seems legal....

2. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #52 st@ven, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    made some progress on the door.

last week I made the inner part and yesterday I glued the door-parts together.
    I started with the hinges and after giving it quite some thought on how to position I made a smal carboard mockup. It actually turned out pretty handy. I put the lock in and the door is actually closing quite nicely.
    As i'm going to use ther oem glass surround now must figure out how to attach this in the door.
    Anyway, the weight of it so far, including hinges, lock and some reinforcement for the hinges is 2,9 kg. I will make the glas out of polycarbonate so that will not add much. In the window I will add a sliding pcs. Unfortunately the oem part for the glass surround is heavy, 1,8 kg(!!) So in the end the door will be over 5kg when ready. Sorry guys:(:(

this week I finally choose the right hydraulic handbrake set too. It's lockeble, which is handy, and it comes with the intergrated bias valve. It will arrive next week. The only parts I need will now are some brakeline and than I can finish this brake project.

Also this week I finally ordered the rollcage. After looking for over a year to the best possble solution i ordered it from OMP in Italy. It's a bolt in type and comes with FIA homologation.

Finally, just for fun I replaced the wipersystem for a single-arm type. In rest the wiper is straight over the frontscreen. Not any gain with this setup of coarse this but it looks quite racy:):):)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    so little replies guys. Is this thread simply boring or what?

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I like it, keep up the good work!

Not sure where everyone else is...Superbowl or something....LOL!

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Not at all! Hope to see the result at the 308 trip! :)

6. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    It's great work Steven! What is the paint going to look like? Looking forward to see it soon on one of the meetings here! (in Zeeland in april maybe?)

7. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    No offence but I better start a thread in the techsection...

8. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Not boring at all - I find it VERY interesting, but I know very little by comparison, so I dont have much to contribute.

Dont think its boring in the least!!!

PDG

9. SteveG75

SteveG75 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Just busy working on my 308. Lots of little things to fix before I feel comfortable driving it.

10. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not at all, your kicking a$$! Really enjoying your work!

11. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #61 st@ven, May 11, 2011
  12. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #62 bert308, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
    What sizes did you get, 8´´ front 9´´ rear? And what tires? I ordered compomotives and they assured me they had the proper sizes for a 308, as they had sold them before, but the rears had/have a -25 mm offset (that is 25 mm negative, standard is about +12 and that is already a low value). So I started the GTO conversion :) But yours seem to fit fine.

13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #63 st@ven, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    indeed Bert, 8'' front and 9'' rear. Tyres are Bridgestones in 235/45/17 for the front and 255/40/17 for the rear. Fits like a glove:)

14. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    it's been a long time but lots have happened.

During the very first try out on a soaking wet Spa Franchorchamps I hit the concrete wall just 100 yards after Eau Rouge.

both front and rear of the car were severly damaged, not to speak of me ego:)

Anyway, the prospect of working on the car for another two years did not appeal to me so i decided to have the car fixed. Only three mopnths after the crash i got it home again with new GRP bodyparts (almost all) around. Quality of this job was according racing standards: pretty poor but, as the love for the car was down to an all time low it took me about a year to get back a little of the love again.

Now it back completely and i'm working to get it ready again. First (second:(:() tryout is scheduled for end of July.

15. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    OH, wow, sad to hear about the off track excursion.

Perhaps the story, though, is a great one of resilience and "if at first you do not succeed, try, try again!"

16. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I admit that I've never taken any of my "classics" out on the track for exactly that reason - I have so much time, blood, sweat and tears into them that I just can't hang them out there with the risk of damaging them. And I'd really like to take them to Laguna Seca or Sears Point, but the walls are so unforgiving....

I'm sorry for the damage but I am glad to see that you got the car completed and took it out for its intended mission!

17. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Wow, the end of July is very quick given all the modifications! The test drive will be a very nice moment.

18. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

You are so right Brian, the possiblility of wasting a 308 in a track incident is scaring beyond normal terms.

For me it actually was the same. I used to track my "as new" 328 regularly but at a certain moment i realized that i would never forgive myselfe when this car was damaged. For this very reason i decided to try to find and modify an old neglected car. Eventually i did and the build and modification of the car became a project of it own. (see also my old thread "call me stupid" for the first fase of the project: getting it back on the road again)

Looking back building the trackcar costed more than my 328 and so from that angle too the damage was equally dramatic.....
    I learnt my lesson and will probably never run the car to its full potential fearing another outage but tracking a 308 is for me the ultimate kick.

19. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    I know how you feel - mine was turn 10 at Watkins Glen - again in the wet. Ultimate cause - A loose nut behind the wheel..... Try and find a dry day for your next trial. And remember when you're out there -no one from F1 will be in the grand stands looking for a new driver.... Just have fun.

20. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #70 st@ven, Aug 15, 2014
    Well two years passed by. I sorted out all the little things and As of last week the car is to the paintshop.

I will keep you posted on the results. But one promise: she will be sweet!!

21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Oh man...how cool! Can't wait for more from you on this project. Where did you source grp panels with normal lines (as opposed to GR4 flares)?

Ciao!

22. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    I was told by the wife that the 308 would never see the track ...OR ELSE! So I bought a Formula Ford too.

23. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    I love it!
    Where i can find a similar set up?

24. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    It is still possible to get them. On ebay.com is a shop that took over all stock. Can't renkever the name But of you Searcy on Ferrari 308 + turbo you'll Find It

Nick randozzo or somethibg similar. He is always on ebay with his shop

25. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Tks you
    I will pm you about ameritec if you do not mind.
    I am Really curious