calling the watch experts... | FerrariChat

calling the watch experts...

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ralessi, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I am looking for my first watch at the moment and have been browsing the timezone.com sales forum for a week or so now. I found something that was sort of interesting and would like an opinion on it so I don't go blowing money on something that will wind up being a nightmare.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=827259&rid=0

This watch is very interesting to me. Cooler than most as it is old and has some character to it. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that it DOES look like the Blancpain 50 fathoms as this person has said - is it just a 40 year old knockoff? Another thing that scares me is the acrylic face - is this a nightmare waiting to happen?

Also, I might as well ask for suggestions while I am at it. What should I be looking for in a first watch at around this price range (150-300, the lower the better)? I have been checking out the Hamilton Khaki Auto's, and saw a nice one for 220, but it has a white face - I think I would prefer the black although I'm not completely sure. I also like the Titoni Airmaster Pilot the best as of now, but it is 400 and those rarely go for sale on timezone.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    For the price range you're looking in, you won't be getting anything too high quality. That's not to say you can't get a good watch though. I just bought a couple of Wenger Swiss Army watches because I got a smokin' deal on them (wholesale!). They're normally about $400 watches and I've been very happy with them. Nothing wrong with the Hamilton you like either and if you want a black face, keep looking. They're available all over the place. Stick with a brand name you know, rather than something you've never heard of that looks cool. Be sure it's water proof so you can wear it wherever you want. I'd also suggest a bracelet band rather than leather as the bracelets last longer. If you like the looks of that watch you posted a link to, look at the Invictas. They're blatant Rolex knock offs, but they do the job. www.ashford.com used to carry them.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  4. mark22-4

mark22-4 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Hi, can anyone help me, I recently had a Cartier-ferrari chronograph stolen. I bought it new in 1990 it was one of the formula ferrari range. I am looking to replace it with something very similer. It had a stainless case, white chrono face with ferrari logo, gold bezels around the dials and gold stopwatch and adjuster buttons. It had a light tan calfskin strap with stainless clasp with ferrari logo. If anyone has something similer for sale please contact me as I am a keen buyer.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I second that. Swiss army offers a great watch for the money. <$400.

BTW...Tutima is a decent watch but more money however in the 2K range you can easily get into Tags and Omegas.

DL

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Rikky,

The picture of the watch did not come up on the page so I don't know what style your looking for. I do suggest you try this site also. It has helped me in the past when I had a question or was looking for something.

http://www.watchuseek.com

Good luck

7. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm thinking it's time to buy another nice watch. This one needs to be automatic, because I just got a cool watch winder for Fathers day and I need to fill it up. I also typically buy chronographs, because I like the look of a 'complicated' watch. I have a Tag Kirium Chrono and an Omega Speedmaster, plus quite a few 'lesser' watches. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm thinking about an Omega Seamaster just because I've always loved them, but on the other hand I'm not sure I want another Omega. I also want a Panerai Marina, but don't know if I want to cough up that kind of $$$.

8. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Check out the IWC Spitfire. They are reletively hot right now and not as common as a Breitling. Another good choice would be the tried and true Rolex Submariner.

DL

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Jim,

I have the Speedmaster and the Triple date ver. among others. I think Breitling makes some nice watches you might want to consider. As far as the Rolex Sub, DL, that's a little common. Check guys wrists and it's always a Sub or GMT. I like them, just a little over cooked IMO.

BTW- My Breitling Emergency is probably the one most people want to discuss. It's not an automatic but does sit in my winder case just fine.

10. chrislamborghiniatlanta

chrislamborghiniatlanta Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    There is so much cool stuff out there right now in watches. Do you have a Tourneau Time Machine by you? We have one in Atlanta at Lennox Square Mall and they have a very wide variety of high end watches. The Chrono's are the way to go. Also check out this site, www.eastcoastjewelry.com as that is my customers store and he will take excellent care of you both pricing and inventory availability wise.

Chris

11. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #11 jimpo1, Jun 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I looked at the IWC Spitfire, but decided for that money I'd get the Panerai I really want. I haven't really explored the Breitlings, but I'll take a look.

The one I'm looking at today is the Oris TT1 Divers Regulator. Water resistant to 1000 meters! That's Titanic deep. No, I don't dive. I like the separate hour hand though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #12 jimpo1, Jun 24, 2004
  13. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I broke down and bought the Oris Regulator. I even spent less money than I'd planned! I'm extremely happy with the watch, it's very well made, is very light weight since it's titanium, and it's large, 44mm, which I like. I saw the Oris F1 while I was in the shop, and it's damned nice too. I wasn't crazy about the rubber strap, so I just put the spare bracelet on it.

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ok Rikky,

Where are you at on this?

15. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Go Rolex, VINTAGE ;-)

16. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Actually, its not. But who dives 1000 meters? You'd be flat as a pancake.

17. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a Breitling & a Tag Heuer SEL. Honestly, the best watches you can buy for the $$$. Each ran me just under $1,000 b/c I bought them pre-owned.

18. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    As long as the need to know the correct time is not a high priority. Rolex is great watch for durability but the Rugrats watch that my 5 year old got for about 2 bucks with her happy meal keeps better time than my Submariner or GMT Master II

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #20 tonyh, Jul 11, 2004
  20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I just looked at that one yesterday. I like it too. Have you seen the Cousteau?

DL

21. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #22 tonyh, Jul 11, 2004
    Only in the brochure , Dave. is it nice in the metal? Chrono edges it for me between these 2.

The Aquatimer Limited Edition
    "Cousteau Divers", Ref. 3548
    in stainless steel with rubber strap (front)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm w/ Tony, I prefer the chono too.

23. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I like the Cousteau because it does not look so much like the GST.

DL