355 - Cam phase sensor malfunction | Page 17 | FerrariChat

355 Cam phase sensor malfunction

Discussion in '348/355' started by taz355, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Miro when i tested the spark in bank 1 and 2 now all plugs are installed.
    All bank 1 now works and bank 2 has two working and 2 not working. This is why i did not think its the plugs

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Maybe while you are waiting for the new pins/sockets, you can look at other sensors and things? The manual is actually quite interesting. e.g. I didn't know that during start, because timing hasn't been fully established, the ECU squirts fuel into all cylinders simultaneously. No surprise then, that you get unburnt fuel being sent down the exhaust pipe during start.

Sorry, I've forgotten, when did the problem start? Were you idling? Accelerating? You said that you could get the engine to idle if you blipped the throttle periodically. What happens if you keep your foot on the throttle permanently (a little) from start, ignoring for the time being the fact that doing this will put your idle out of whack?

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It doesnt start any more but could be flooded i guess

Started when driving and the bank shut down. Would stay running but was very ruff. I have had a single cylinder go out before and even two and it did not runthat rufff so i assumed the whole bank shut down.

When tested at home it showed all bank 1 was down

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Since the problem is getting worse and the car is not running long enough to pick up faults, I was just wondering if a poorly regulating Idle Air Regulator might be contributing to the no start problem.Does the Idle Air Regulator buzz with the ignition in ON?

Yes, I know the 5.2 car only has 1 regulator feeding both sides, but... this problem is weird :p

I see the regulator gets power from the green wire (pin 5) on that plug you're working on. The green wire also powers the cam phase sensor, the MAF and the cat thermocouple ECUs. I think you checked the power on this before, but there may be some kind of intermittent problem there.

(EDIT: the green wire gets power from the injector control relay "M" in the passenger footwell. Maybe you could try reseating/percussing that?)

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    This might be a useful diagnostic tip in the future. If you can hear your 5.2 idle air regulator buzzing with the key in ON/RUN prior to start, it's a good sign that your injectors have power (as well as the cam phase sensor, MAF and cat thermocouple ECUs). The fuel pump is also (partly) controlled by the power from relay "M".

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    1+ month and 17 pages later...lets just replace all the parts already. Its the summer driving season!

Qavion likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    These cars don't generally run rough when the loose a bank. They loose power, have slow response, idle speed drops, but being a flat crank, they run smooth like any other 4 cylinder would.

Running rough would be more symptomatic of intermittent misfires on one several different cylinders. The problem is that there has been conflicting info posted. First it was a cam sensor error, then bank 1 no spark with a scope trace that seemed to verify. Then a complete no start. Now bank 1 has spark and two odd cylinders on bank 2 are out, but still a no start. As for being flooded, you pulled the plugs. Were they wet? How about no fuel?

Yes, but remember 1/2 of the post were about whether the plugs are grounded, if it matters, and whether a closed current path is needed to create a spark. Physics 101 say no. The difference being "create" as opposed to "sustain". :)

But no, not replace parts, replace car.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    $2000+ -worth of new parts... 17 pages of faultfinding. Grant will go nuts if the problem was only a dodgy relay, water in the fuel or something equally mundane.

Not sure who you're trying to convince there, John :p We all have our fixed opinions... and whether it's an earthing strap or, perhaps, a bonding strap which is keeping the engine in running order is yet to be proven (Reciprocating masses have a tendency to build up static electricity which may interfere with electronic components).

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Not trying to convince anyone. Opinions are like ____(fill in the blank)____, everybody has one. I don't disagree with Miro that no ground is necessary to complete the current loop in a wasted spark ignition. That wasn't the point of that argument. The point was simple. The plugs are grounded.

The other issue was whether a closed loop is necessary to have a spark. It is not. That is a physical fact, not an opinion. A spark will form between two isolated, charged bodies if the potential difference between them is high enough. Said another way, take two sufficiently charged, isolated bodies and as you bring them close together a spark will occur between them. I presented an example of a magneto discharging to a cam shaft with no connection between them. There are plenty of other everyday example.

If you think about the wasted spark ignition in a 355, do you really believe both plugs initiate a spark at the exact same time? One plug must fire first. It may be a microsecond or even a nanosecond before the other, but the gap in one plug breaks down first without a completed loop. Only after the second plug gap breaks down is the loop completed. Sure, from a macroscopic view this doesn't make a difference for a 355 ignition, but it is what happens. There are numerous reason why one fires first. One of the most obvious is that the composition, temperature and pressure are different in the paired cylinders which translates to different dielectric break down.

Of course, none of this relates to Grant's problem, but it's fun. :)

taz355 likes this.
  10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sorry to pick on Grant but how many pages until Grant's car makes stink? I say 20 pages. I will keep adding useless posts until we get there.

taz355 likes this.
  11. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Maybe its time for a tech. Not such a bad suggestion.:eek:;)

12. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    One factor that needs to be considered in all of this is the human factor. When I was working in the dealership and I or someone else was stumped, the natural reaction was to go to your fellow tech and pick their brain. The only difference here is we are not there with Grant to actually do hands-on help. Of all of the hard to diagnose electrical problems that I can remember, the common denominator with all of them was a missed step in the flow chart. It is human nature to skip ahead and look into other systems before properly finishing the diagnosis with the first. For example, the tech says "I checked the ground AT the ECM and its good." BUT how was it checked? He says with a test light to power. After doing a voltage drop across the ground for the ECM its found to be questionable. Then the truth comes out. The whole reason the ground was never physically checked at the source with a DVOM was because it was located in a really hard to reach area down at the bell housing. After struggling to get the bolt out (that was double nutted) and cleaned up, the car starts. The tech just shakes his head out of frustration, because why did the test light light up? Well, because the ECM is not a test light, instead its a bunch of transistors and resistors etc, and a "Good" ground is one that has been tested for a voltage drop with a DVOM. Thats it. We are all human and will constantly keep chasing our tails on things like this. Sometimes I will just walk away from it for a day or two, and come back and start fresh forgetting about the previous diagnosis. It works more often than not. :)

taz355 and Pangea like this.
  13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Great points!

This exact issue came up with our very own Stooge Ernie's 348. Engine make stink with air spark and fuel. I was at his house and blew in some starter fluid. The car fired right up. I instantly proclaimed a fuel problem. To my surprise the ground strap to the motor was poor. It was test light "there" but poor. Like magic establishing a good ground fixed it. The starter fluid just made up for a weak spark.

taz355 and jjtjr like this.
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

I hear you about the ground. But, recall that Grant did look at the trigger signal for the coil on a scope and it showed that the trigger was indeed being grounded. Since it is grounded through the ECU I think there is a very good chance this isn't a grounding problem. But a couple of probes with a VM wouldn't hurt.

There is just too much going on here for internet diagnosis. Maybe Grant got a load of bad gas? Who knows. At this point I'd want the car in my garage before I offered further insight. But yes, I'd go back and start over. I would want to see the scope signal for all 4 triggers, cam and crank sensor, injector pulses. If that showed noting I'd probably look at fuel pressure and compression. It's still fuel, compression, spark, and it should run.

Just another reason I prefer the 95. Much easier to diagnose a problem when each bank runs independently.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    True! about the only good thing with Ferrari 2 ecu cars but then we must have that dumb poorly engineered prone to failure SDECU system in case people are not bright enough to realize they are running on 1 bank.

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes i have all ready done this once.
    This was why i figured i go back to the beginning.

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So i removed all plugs both sides from plug 41090 which is the plug which supplies power to the coils. At least half of the connections were quite loose. Likely still making a connection but still loose.
    After removing all sides, both male and female niw when i push the pins from one side you can see the other side move in an out with 0 slippage.

This did not help but needed to be eliminated.
    Also checked continuity of bank 1 coil on all 3 pins and was good
    Checked continuity on bank 2 coil and all three p8ns were good
    Checked continuity on cam phase sensor all is good.

Pluggd in leonardo and the codes now read both down stream o2 sensors were old, and were reading beyond parameters or something like that.
    Also no more cam phase sensor intermittent malfunction.
    Now i got a crank sensor malfunction.

Cleared codes and tried starting but battery is getting low, no codes showed up yet.

Checked bank 2 with timing light and 5 and 8 still no spark but 6 and 7 are sparking but very haphazardly not like bank 1 which seems consistent.

With the Leonardo i could check the injectors and i tested them all and they all are working.
    I also just got the leonardo so not totally sure how to use it but it has a parameter function and i selected crank sensor, tim8ng on bank 1 and tim8ng on bank 2.
    Then i tried starting and the crank showed nith8ng but the two banks each shiwed a different tji number. What ever that means.

I will write down those numbers tomorrow when i try it with a charged battery.

See you all tomorrow afternoon

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't know about Leonardo but generally you can not check the crank sensor, other than for continuity, unless the car is running. A bad crank sensor would cause a no start. Check the impedance between the two crank sensor terminates at the ECU. It should be around 1k ohm +/- .

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    TJI ? or is that a late night typo?

What if the crank sensor has really weak coupling with the crank and is sending pulses at a random rate/strength that is only triggering ignition periodically. Was your tacho erratic or did your F1 warning light come on during your drive? Can you interrogate your F1 TCU with your Leonardo to see if there are any stored messages related to rpms?

taz355 likes this.
  20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tji is the nomenclature used in the manual and it was giving different amounts for each bank so i think something must be working.

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    A

Thats kind of what i was thinking but whi knows.
    I am going to start with the manual on what needs to work for the car to start and idle.
    Things i will be confirming are idle control valves and wiring
    And all other ignition related components. Not just the spark.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    My local Ferrari tech had some diagnostic sheets that he was using when trying to figure out what was wrong with my new engine harness last year. I assumed he got online access to them with his annual subscription to the SD1 tool. I'll see if I can dig them up. Basically, they showed typical values (resistance, volts, etc) of the engine harness components.Unfortunaely, some are with the engine running.

I don't know if this is a good thing. With a cold engine, the car may be operating in open loop mode, so, as your notes above say, the O2 sensor value will be given a value of "1" in that TJ equation. All the other values will be derived from the same sensors (MAF, crank, voltage, throttle position and coolant temperature).

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I thought maybe the battery was bad so i took put my battery to my shop to test. The battery comming out was 700CCR and when tested it had maybe high 500s. I also tested it at a batter shop and it was close to the same as we got.

What prompted me to try this was my Leonardo said the battery voltage at the main ecu was only about 11.5 vs my testerplugged into the cig lighter said 12.5.
    Every screenon the Leo says ensure battery voltage is a minimum of 12.5 before testing.
    When cranking the voltage in the cig lighter only drops to about 11 but the ecu drops from 11.5 to 10.5 almost immediately then down to 9.6 or so after about 2 seconds maybe.
    Normaly the car starts right away within a half second but anyway i bought a new battery but my parts girl brought the wrong one so I will have to keep you posted.
    Has anyone tested a battery that tests good and actually as I think John may have said drops that fast under load and is no good?

Also has anyone any experience with a leo or gallileo that when cranking engine still shows 11 plus volts at the ecu?

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Were you relying on the Galileo for ECU volts, Grant, or testing at ECU pin 26? I can't believe you were losing half a volt with a few extra feet of wiring. The cigarette lighter uses a different plug and fuse in the footwell relay panel. If you're running out of options, maybe you could check plug "I" on the fuse panel for loose pins and check the fuse holder pins. Unfortunately, that involves pulling more of your car to pieces.

Anyway, simple stuff first... Battery.

taz355 likes this.