355 - Cam phase sensor malfunction | Page 18 | FerrariChat

355 Cam phase sensor malfunction

Discussion in '348/355' started by taz355, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    We aren't thinking that a weak battery will cause a car to only run on one bank of cylinders, are we? Right after start (even on 4 cylinders) the voltage should jump up to 13+ Volts. I have seen EFI cars run on 8 volts before the ECM finally gave up.

Pangea likes this.
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes so have I but i have seen my 355f1 stall at 9.5 volts and i think others who had alternator problems and started monitoring it have had the same.
    The car really is not starting but more like turning over and firing once in a while maybe every two engine rotations or so.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So I tried a very powerful battery tonight and the voltage only dropped to 10.5 on the computer and the car actually ran for about 15 seconds on 1 bank.
    Definately not the battery as the connector at the battery monitoring battery voltage while turning the engine never dropped below 11.8
    The leo stated an faulty revolution sensor so I ordered one.

My question to the group was has anyone had a failed crank sensor on an obd2 once the car is running let the car stay running, or would it exhibit the same symptons i had way back on page one.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am starting to think it is a ground.
    Will be checking that out as well.

The technical service stuff i have also says to check the two grounds first before even diagnosing. This and the battery voltage being 12.5 minimum seem to be very important as its mentioned plenty.

Can anyone confirm where these two grounds are on a 99 f1

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No I am not thinking this as an absolute but more of a contributing problem to a intermitent component.

As you said before I am thinking a poor ground could be caus8ng this type of a voltage drop or something along those lines.
    My very powerfull battery i think may have prooved this because the car has now ran for a bit and has not done that in over two weeks.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #432 Qavion, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    I had a vague recollection of a faulty crank sensor causing an intermittent problem with something. I couldn't recall if it was a no start or a partial/full loss of power during running.

Was it Beetle? He's had a few problems with these sensors.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/96-us-spec-355-no-spark.560576/#post-145582097

I think there was an incident prior to this.

Logic and overwhelming resistance from the experts convinced me that it couldn't be the crank sensor, but with your ever-changing spark symptoms I think I would have changed it anyway :p

That link above also shows some grounds. As far as I know, the ECU wiring harness only has one ground that looks like the one in the photograph. But there is also one between the engine and the chassis somewhere.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #433 Qavion, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Spiderscott had a rev limiter type effect from his faulty crank sensor:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-355-wont-rev-past-3k-rpm.571690/#post-145876909

I also thought of a faulty knock sensor, but then your spark problem changed banks.

I see on page 1, John also experienced the rev-limiter type effect.

Also on page 1:

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My problem was due to an internally broken wire. Apparently at exactly 4000 RPM vibration or electronic noise due to the break would make bank 1 (my car is a 2.7) misfires like a rev limited. Back off and it ran perfectly.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    What do you think John would a faulty ground cause voltage to be reduced tothe coils

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Voltage to the coilpacks is via the ignition lock, footwell fuse/relay panel... and plug 41090 (near the ECU) which you have checked/repaired. The earth for that voltage is provided by the ECU transistors which trigger the pulses to the primary coils. The entire functioning of the ECU and sensors seems to be dependent on that single earth "70047". I don't think the ECU case screws were meant to be relied on.

Grant's Engine Management Wiring Diagram

The only black (earth type) wire I haven't been able to trace is the one on pin 7 on plug 41090 (near the ECU). It may or may not be part of the alarm system.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was just curious because again the technical repair stuff i got mentions checking 2 grounds and the only ground i know about is from the alternator.
    I think i will review parts diagrams and see if i can find all external grounds to chassis.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, but I don't think that your problem.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Grant, just put your ohmmeter between the engine block and the chassis (bare metal). If it's more than 200milliohms (0.2 ohms), not including the resistance of your ohmmeter leads, your earths need attention. I don't know if I remember correctly, but you may need to take off your underbody fairing panels to see the engine-to-chassis earth. I saw the technician clean the earth during my major (so the panels will already have been removed).

On my 5.2 car, the ECU harness earth is under the cam sensor. I believe that's the one you have already found.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Where does the 0.2 ohms come from? I have never seen that quoted. Is that a known industry thing? I'm not challenging. I'm clueless!

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am not sure ifollow that the ecu ground is under he cam sensor?

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It was part of a factory engine management system fault finding sheet which my technician had. I believe it is something you are able to access when you have an SD1 tool licence. As mentioned earlier, my new engine harness wouldn't work. One of the faultfinding steps was to check the resistance of the earths. Dispite looking ok and the lug bolts feeling tight, mine were 2 or 3 times the spec, so the earths were cleaned and tightened a little more.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Standby, Grant... I'll take a picture... but the earth stud a few inches below the cam sensor is actually the main earth for the whole ECU harness.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #444 Qavion, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is earth "70047" on the wiring diagram. i.e the only earth. All the black and brown earth wires are spliced to this in one way or another. I've added some extra thick wires on your diagram to show the connections.

20. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Wow 45 pages. That's preety cool!!!!

taz355 and Qavion like this.
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It's not the destination, it's the journey... :D

.... except we haven't moved very far from the garage yet.

Beetle likes this.
  22. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hahahaha good come back Ian
    I think it's spelt !tushay! I'm sure I will be corrected nowing my spelling prowess hahahaha.

23. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    +1 The most common by far fix for troubling electrical problems is poor grounds, the other being lack of continuity of a circuit like in John's case with broken conductors in a circuit. One method I do when I'm questioning the continuity of a circuit besides first using a dvom to check the total ohms of the circuit is to "piggyback" the circuit. So lets say its the ECM ground. I remove the terminal from the ECM plug and install a new one on one end of a coil of wire, and then connect the other to the "-" post of the battery. If the problem goes away, your issue lies somewhere in that ground circuit. In GM's case, they used to like to hide splices in their harnesses and not list them in the wiring diagrams and then put them where it was physically impossible to reach with the powertrain installed. So the only other option was to rerun the new wire taped to the harness to the destination. (Ground stud).

taz355 likes this.
  24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You can not disconnect the coil ground from the ECU and reconnect it to the battery ground post. The coil on only grounded momentarily to generate the spark. Most of the cycle the coil ground is open. Grant's original scope trace showed that the coil was being correctly grounded when called for. The part of the signal after the ground opens again it what looked bad.

25. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Exactly. If the circuit in question was the one (ground signal from the ECU to the coil) then removing the terminal from the ECU connector and temporarily installing a new wire from the ECU to the coil would take the suspicion from that one circuit. What the root of my suggestion is that electrical circuits can be misleading when looking at them on a scope. Poor terminal contact or a corroded splice can cause a small arc across the bad contact and what you see on the scope is that arc, which is a breakdown of that circuit trying to complete itself from one side to the other. A poor ground can show the exact same thing.
    Many moons ago at GMTC one instructor attempted to show us a scope pattern on a circuit that was rigged by the students, and no matter where in the circuit we (the students) put the problem, the scope pattern did not change. Only when we fixed the circuit did the pattern change. I'm no electrical scientist for sure, I only try to set up a strategy based diagnosis to keep moving in a forward direction. In a few posts back, I wrote about the human factor because I cannot tell you how many times I was banging my head against the wall only to find in the end it was something I missed because I wasn't thorough enough with my elimination process. I am sometimes my worst enemy. :(

taz355 likes this.