Can a Fiberglass dash be re-shaped? | FerrariChat

Can a Fiberglass dash be re-shaped?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JIMBO, Oct 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I have a 512TR dash pad (out of the car) that has a warped edge over the radio pocket. The leather is very good. This vehicle was first owned by an Arab Sheik in Miami and was left outside. Can the fiberglass be heated and gently returned to original position if I carefully remove the leather covering? I have a heat gun and a digital thermometer (140-150 degrees seems optimum from YouTube videos on re-shaping fiberglass hot rod hoods) and some minor degree of automotive skill. Is this something I should attempt myself or is it best left to professionals? I want to sell the dash pad, which is otherwise perfect. Better to repair and sell or sell as is?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You can surely repair the fiberglass easy. Instead of heating the fiberglass, Better to remove leather and cut the fiberglass and reshape with fiberglass cloth and resin.(fiberglass repair kit). You can make a simple mold if needed out of cardboard, hot glue, cover with wax paper. When FG is just about set up(not rock hard) you remove the cardboard etc. Or you can reshape with FG and use bondo to get final shape. FG is needed for some strength. When bonding new FG to old FG, sand the area to be bonded on old FG for clean surface.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You might get lucky with an iron (you know the things used to make shirts look good on the hanger.....)

4. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have experience repairing fiberglass boats, if after the leather is removed the fiberglass is still warped I think that it would be better to cut off the piece that is warped and cut it at such an angle to correct the warping and then reattach the piece. By properly preparing the surface, filleting the joints and using a good epoxy resin (like West System) the repair would be permanent. I don't think heating the piece under load would permanently correct the issue.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Normally there is a padding underneath the leather or vinyl.

Agree that cutting the deformed sections out (or segmenting them as they do to wood to steam bend it) is the way forward.

The padding is what lets the final trim surface "look smooth".
    Trim Shop should be able to handle it!!