Can I use old (unused) oil filter? | FerrariChat

Can I use old (unused) oil filter?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kdf398, Jul 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have a '79 308 and I am changing the oil and filter. I have a UFI filter (the good one) but I think it has been in my garage for over 1 year. Can I still use it or has it passed its expiration date?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If the sealing gasket is still in good shape (pliable, no cracks), I think it would be OK.

3. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David

Just a reminder to all with "new old stock" UFI oil filters on the shelf to check the number before using! Hopefully, by this time,the probmatical filters are no longer being used.

"(3) NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (NHTSA) PUBLISHES RECALL AFFECTING THE FERRARI NORTH AMERICA OIL FILTER 111782

(3) NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (NHTSA) PUBLISHES RECALL AFFECTING FERRARI NORTH AMERICA OIL FILTER 111782

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has published a recall affecting the Ferrari North America Oil Filter 111782.

Some replacement oil filters (Ferrari Part No. 111782) were made in a different manner from the original version. As a result, the oil filter may leak engine oil from the seal ring area. In the presence of an ignition source, the engine oil could be ignited, causing a vehicle fire, possibly resulting in personal injury or death. These oil filters can be used on Ferrari model vehicles dating back to the 1960s. The model vehicles these filters can be used on are: Dino 206 GT, Dino 246 GT/GTS, Dino 308 GT4, 208 GTB/GTS turbo, 208 GT4, 208 GTB/GTS turbo intercooler, GTB/GTS turbo, 275 GTB4, 308 GT4, 308 GTB/GTS, 308i GTB/GTS, 328 GTB/GTS, 330 GT, 330 GTC, 365 GT, 365 GT4, 365 GT4BB, 365 GTC (1970), 365 GTC/GTS, 365 GTC4, 365 GTS4, 400I GT/GTA, 4000 GT/GTA, 412 GT/GTA, 512BB, 512i BB, Mondial 3.2, Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet, Mondial 8, Mondial 9 Cabriolet, Mondial 4V, 288 GTO.

Dealers will replace the oil filters with a new style of oil filter having a Ferrari part number of 191993, free of charge. The manufacturer has reported that notification began Oct. 12, 2001. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ferrari at 1-201-816-2600.

The National Highway Safety Administration Identification No. is 01E051. The Announcement can be viewed at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/."

Best wishes

4. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    I use the UFI's on my car, and am aware of the recall. But could SteveM. or David elaborate on the design/manufacturing problem that led to this recall, and the subsequent change in the filters' design?

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

The problem filters were produced from somewhere in mid 2000 until about the middle of 2001 (check threads in the old site archives for details). BTW the filters are date coded on the top in yellow print. I believe it is day/month/year...rather than month/day/year.

The UFI has always used (in the past) a funny shaped o-ring that was round on the sealing surface touching the car, but more flat on the surface contacting the filter. The original design had rare occurances of the seal failing, and leaking oil. Many technicians had various fixes which included flipping the o-ring over, or gluing them in place (or both methods) with silicone sealant. The early 2000 change added some sort of dimensional change to the groove that retained the o-ring. This may have been shallower or something, but the end result were MANY failures to seal, and oil leaking everywhere! Not only a big mess, but a big potential for engine failure! This was handled very poorly by both UFI and Ferrari, with little acknowledgement of a problem...until the recall finally took place.

The new filters have a more conventional type o-ring that is flat on both sides (I think the rubber on the later o-ring was "harder", or less pliable too). Looks just like the one on the Baldwin filter...go figure.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The problem was that the sealing ring would be extruded out of its groove under the (normal) pressure (even if properly installed). In both these photos (courtesy M at TRutlands) the "good" 1st version of 111782 is on the left and the bad 2nd version of 111782 is on the right (they also made some other changes like the spotwelds instead of the swaged tubular rivets) but the problem was that you'd lose the seal and blow all the oil out in a big mess. I don't have a photo, but the newest "fixed" 3rd version of the UFI (now 191993) I believe has gone to a sealing ring design more like the Fram and the Baldwin.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Steve,
    great photos! I wonder if the spot welds might have raised the o-ring up further out of the groove, causing the failures?

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I agree that putting the spotwelds in the seal groove on a sealing surface probably wasn't the greatest idea, but I'd put more of the fault on not enough groove depth, the outer "wall" of the groove not being very vertical, and, as you noted, a "soft-ish" seal compound. All the typical US brand oil filters (even those without standpipes ;)) really have a much better squarish, harder seal in a much deeper supporting groove.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just buy a Baldwin B253. You can find them online for as little as $10 or so. Sometimes I see them on eBay but people way overbid.