Can someone help with info on Ferrari Telemetry box? | FerrariChat

Can someone help with info on Ferrari Telemetry box?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Tarek307, Nov 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Hello, i recently purchased a 2004 Modena, that car comes equipped with a dealer installed optional Ferrari Telemetry Box (box has ferrari symbol on it) - The box is behind the passenger seat it also has a Camera and Microphone (those are ina sealed plastic bag because evidently the car was never tracked so the system wasn't used *shame* )

So i understand that in the mid 2000's a few manufactures offered this option, it came on the Corvette i've read also.

is there anyone familiar with how to use this thing? is it nice technology? is it worth anything if end up just selling this box? i've tried researching online but ferrari doesn't have much info on it.

Here is a pic of it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sorry don't know much about them, but like any technology, they get outdated very quickly. I recall my local dealer was trying to sell a few sets they had, brand new in the box for $500 or so about 6 or 7 years ago...and even at that time, it was a HUGE discount from list price. But the newer versions apparently had way more features, which made them worth very little. I was interested in buying one just as a display/conversation piece. Never got around to it, but they were in the case in their parts department for a year or two until they sold them all.

I would simply keep it. As a dealer installed option, it would probably have more value staying with your car.

3. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    ya i figured, camera technology is so superior now anyways - thx man

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The system inside the boxes is actually quite powerful (and actually pretty overkill) using Military/Race spec connectors for the wiring harnesses (I.e. very good quality) but hamstrung by very poor software ;(

It runs a genuine Intel class processor running a licensed copy of Embedded Windows! Which is just nuts, no wonder it was so expensive new.

Inside the huge finned heatsink case there is a 2TB Compact Flash card which is used to store the Operating System. It also has stackable cards of which one of them is a hardware video encoder and another is a CAN bus card and another module is the GPS. The video encoder is used by the analogue cameras to encode (in hardware, NOT software) the video before storing it on the compact flash. The only job that massively overspecced cpu has to do is run some poorly written C++ MFC software (Race software?) which looks like it was knocked up by as an experiment over the period of weekend or something and use the CAN to log write some very basic stuff to disk.

The people whom developed this used top of the line expensive heatsync (no wonder when your running and Intel cpu inside!) and could do so much more than it does..

Weak link these days is the software and the encoding card plus the camera's. I was entertaining the idea to junk the software and develop my own which directly interfaces to the Bosch Ignition ecu's and data logs hundreds of parameters including wheel speed sensors, etc. I.e. do it properly so the captured data is as good as real race telemetry. It would very be useful for anayzing your track performance. These days I'd consider adding a USB wifi card and capturing 4K video from those small YI 4K encoding cameras over wifi and sync it with the ecu data...

Could have been brilliant, let down by dreadful software, poor encoding hardware and low resolution cameras. Everything could be fixed with some updates. When I get time I will do an upgrade for it...

f355spider and Tarek307 like this.
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Now I REALLY wish I had bought one :)

6. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Unless you are actively (race) tracking the car, why would anybody want one on a 'street car?'