Candian 328 | FerrariChat

Candian 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by bertrand328, Feb 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Hello 328 lovers,

a question has bothered me since few time : what are the differences between US and Canadian 328 ?

To my knowledge they are identical except that the canadian have front 5 mph bumper fitted on the front grid and was fitted with metric dials.
    others one ?
    Same options ?

Were the cars imported directly into Canada with these modifications by the factory? Or via the US ?

There is somewhere a Canadian 328 registry ?

Thanks for your help

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari North America is called that because they handle all of North America.

Changes made in factory.

Bumpers are the same. The rear bumper was different on Canadian TR's but not 328.

Not sure when instruments changed over, otherwise I think they are the same car.

3. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    #3 bertrand328, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Canadian Testarossa had their own front and rear bumbers in the parts catalog. Many differences in a CDN and USA TR.

I looked for the 328 and the part number are the same for US and CDN also SA and J.

5. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have seen them on a couple of cars that were originally sold in the Canadian market - red GTS in Calgary and black GTS in Vancouver. I recall they were both later models, '88's. To my eyes, claiming no expertise, the "Canadian market" bumpers appear to be the same as Mondial 3.2 bumpers. My inquiries, such as they were, suggested that neither car had any damage that might have resulted in installing a Mondial bumper of a 328.

6. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    You are right, I should have started checked part number of front bumpers.

And there are several items " lower panel". Then, one of them is specific to the Canada. Part N° 61953300 .

I had noted, probably read here : "( Canadian car ) is fitted with 5 mph bumpers and not with 2,5 mph one use for US"

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Canadian cars have not paid gas guzzler tax or US import duty (soon to go up to 30%) so you will incur additional fees to bring one in. Better hope and pray that FNA will give you a letter saying the car meets DOT and EPA otherwise you will have to change out all the bits. If you have to change bumpers addl $5000 at least, if you can get the parts.

8. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    On a 30 years old car?

9. The Singer

The Singer Karting

Feb 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Please check your facts before posting.

10. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Russ,

My purpose is technical and / or aesthetic

11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I just see my typo error in the title "candian" instead of "Canadian"

Can someone rectify that ? How ?

12. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    So, no more information ?

No canadian owner or historian have any interests ?

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I'm with Brian (Rifledriver) on that one, Bertrand; according to what I know until this day, the Canadian cars came through Ferrari North America and their specifications are the same as the US cars.
    You probably know from your own files that a small, but nevertheless significant (= a dozen or more), number of swiss-market cars (= ZFFCA20S0000xxxxx) were exported from Switzerland to Canada later; I don't know exactly why, but this is a fact.

Rgds

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

That is true for the rear bumpers on TR but 328 they are the same.

15. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Brian,

check the spare parts catalogue 1988. There is a specific front lower panel part number for CDN.

So it must have a difference

16. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Although cars originally sold in Canada would have come in through FNA and had North American market VIN's, there might well have been some differences between US model, e.g., metric speedo / odometer and, as per this thread, different bumpers. Having seen "Canadian bumpers" in photos and "in the flesh" and noting Bertrand's post about a part number, I'm inclined to believe they exist, albeit rarely seen, even in Canada.

FWIW with respect to slight variances between US and Canadian market vehicles, I recall, in the late 90's, the Canadian Department of Transport, in consultation with the auto insurance industry, required Canadian market cars have a higher threshold for airbag deployment than was required for US cars. The rationale was that Canadian seatbelt usage was higher, which reduced need for airbag deployment in lower speed collisions. Increasing the deployment threshold saved auto insurers from the cost of replacement.

17. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Probably because easier to homologate a swiss model with a catalytic converter than standard euro without cat .....

18. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I just find a part of the answer about " Canadian front bumper"

in Cavallino magazine N°55, page 4, Ken McCay of Ferrari North America says :

"... Canadian homologation requirements must be fitted with 5 Mph bumpers and not 2.5 Mph US bumpers. The small boxes ara part of the 5 Mph bumpers system and are structural reinforsement for the bumper. ..... All 3.2 Mondials, US (!!) and Canadian, do have these reinforcement similar to those on Canadian version 328s . "

So, all Canadians 328 SHOULD have those bumper !

hyenahf likes this.
  19. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    unfortunately no progress about this question.
    I am little bit surprised that no one else advise or looking at this

20. Black_flag

Black_flag Rookie

Oct 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Fabio Buresti
    Hi,
    I'm a total noob and can't figure out how to start a thread. I'm looking at buying a 1987 328 GTS and won't be able to drive it frequently - it might sit in the garage without driving/starting for up to 2 months at a time. Is this a major issue? Should I still buy one or will it be too much trouble?
    Thanks

21. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Good morning! To start a new thread, go to the beginning of the 308/328 forum ( or any other model specific area )and in the upper right hand corner there’s a tab that says “start a new thread “

I work away from home and my car sets for a few months at a time. It’s always better to start them once a month and run them up to temp. I usually let mine run minimum of 25 minutes or take it for a drive. Probably not ideal but that’s life for most of us. I disconnect the battery ground while I am away.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, as said by Kim above: if you disconnect the ground connector in the nose of the car, the battery should not empty, and after two months, you should be fine, they usually start without a hiccup.
    I have two 328s which are not "living with me", but in my country home; I have adopted a principle that each car should be run at least every three weeks, for a least 50 miles / 80 kms to be brought to temp, whenever possible. I don't start a car if a 50 miles (80 kms) trip is not possible: no short trips.
    Occasionally, in winter, when the weather is too harsh (snow, salt on the roads, ect...) it might occur than one or the other would stay without running for six weeks, so leaving a car sleeping for two months would not be a problem. However, I think that one trip every two / threee / four weeks, whenever possible, is always highly recommended. These cars feel better when run regularly.

Rgds

23. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

I hope at least that it's a Canadian 328 :)

24. Black_flag

Black_flag Rookie

Oct 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Fabio Buresti
    Thanks everyone.

I prob should have posted this in the general 328 forum - but found the site hard to navigate.

I live in Australia, but your information has been really helpful.

Thanks

25. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    bingo... thats the correct ansnwer.
    has anyone ever seen a canadian first gen audiTT? be afraid, be very afraid like brundlefly says.