Cant decide | FerrariChat

Cant decide

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by J0905, Aug 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Huracan spyder or 488

Poll closed Aug 25, 2018.
  1. 488

90.5%
  2. Huracan

9.5%
  1. J0905

J0905 Rookie

Mar 13, 2018
    Hello all!

I'm glad to announce that I am a potential 488 owner, there are some things I would love to know from current and former owners. I'm having a tough decision between a 488 and a Huracan spyder, my only gripe with the 488 is the exhaust note (if there are any exhaust systems that make it sound close to the 488 I would love to see it). Also it seems ferrari has a better community than lamborghini (way more helpful).

Thanks much!

2. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    I recently had the same decision to make. Went with the 488 for many reasons. Much prettier car in my opinion. The torque and engine character is more to my liking. The ownership experience and dealer support is superior. It’s less flashy and I think it will retain more value. The 7 year included maintenance really sealed the deal as well. At the end of the day I really wanted to be part of the Ferrari community as it seems to fit my personality better as well. Very happy with my decision after two months of ownership and am already looking forward to add another.

J0905, LorenzoOO and Shadowfax like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This one's a no brainer. 488.

Re the exhaust just fit a forza valve controller or disconnect the vacuum lines to the valves - problem solved.

Napoli, metaldriver and Viperjoe like this.
  4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have no doubt that the Huracan is a great car; it's a matter of personal taste. IMO, the relatively understated elegance of the 488, in combination with the allure and pure magic of owning a Ferrari simply cannot be overstated. And yes, simply disconnect the exhaust bypass valves and enjoy the symphony.

Shadowfax and MANDALAY like this.
  5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    To preface, I’m not a blind Ferrari fanboy. In fact, I’m not really fond of the 488 in general.

With that said, I’ve put combined 1000 spirited miles on both a 610-4 and a 580-2 spider. The Huracan has been the biggest disappointment of any supercar I’ve driven. The fake crackles and pops of the exhaust are excessive like a modern turbo 4 cylinder, which is a shame since the actual tone and pitch is awesome. Interior is stylish but relatively poor quality compared to Ferrari or Mclaren...lots of cheap feeling plastic.

However, what I really disliked was the steering. Understeers heavily but even worse, the feel felt entirely artificial and not that representative of the road. Ultimately not very confidence inspiring. I believe both my cars had the Lamborghini dynamic steering option. I hear without it, steering is improved. I would highly recommend avoiding that option if you go ahead with the Huracan.

jyupitt and J0905 like this.
  6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I don’t know about you bro , but I couldn’t fit in the Lambo H Spider. The seat would not go back far enough for starters. Looks wise , fit n finish , interior and torque the Ferrari wins hands down. Best , Kirk.

Shadowfax, J0905 and Viperjoe like this.
  7. J0905

J0905 Rookie

Mar 13, 2018
    Thank you very much to everyone who gave amazing info! My biggest turn off with lamborghini was there customer service at the dealership. Way too snobby and uptight unlike ferrari which treated me with the utmost respect.

Viperjoe likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    488 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Not only will the Ferrari retain value better but it’s just a better car.

The only hurscan I would consider is a performante.

Shadowfax and 458-Italia like this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    488 , simple as that

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You're asking a biased crowd. Every reply here will be 488. Not that they're wrong. Ferrari > Lamborghini.

Melvok and Shadowfax like this.
  11. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I drove my friends 610-4 Huracan right after I drove a 458 and the difference is huge. The steering alone in the Huracan left me extremely unsatisfied, the car felt so heavy when turning.
    The pops and bangs are addictive though and a lot of fun, not sure if you get tired of them after a while

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #12 Shadowfax, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    To take a Huracan over a 458 is a bit of a worry. A good mate of mine had one and seemed happy to get it gone. He never mentions it now - like a mistake one is happy to forget.

Melvok likes this.
  13. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Huracan is a great car. I had the 610-4 and the Performante.
    Sound is great is you fit it with race exhaust.
    It is easier to drive at the limit. It has a better technology inside. If you are to talk the spider can be a problem.
    That said I have now a 488 spider and it gives me more emotions than the Huracan. Can’t tell you why but I prefer the 488 emotionally.
    Moreover in March there will be the restyled Huracan with more power and new VERY interesting features. If you decide for the Huracan wait

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    His was 610 -4 with F1 race exhaust. Obviously a good car but it struggled to mix it up with company on our drives and he is a very good driver. I recall him saying it left him second guessing too much at/toward the limit - not confidence inspiring as cars he'd owned previously (Porsches). Insofar as the synthetic backfiring silliness going on all the time went - yep got old too. Sounded kinda corny from the outside imo - glad to overtake it and get rid of the nuisance.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Isn't it a bit odd that you ask US here which car YOU should buy ?

And having a less good experience at some help desk makes a big impression on you ?

Wooooow :eek:

Shouldn't it be the experience of driving both cars first ?

Good luck ...