Capristo Headers Only | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Capristo Headers Only

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, May 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Sfefvan quick question, I need to switch my muffler back between the 430 Spider and SCUD (as the 430 Spider muffler has a loose baffle plate which spoils the purity of the sound from Capristo Headers due to increased flow).

My question simply is, IF I undo all four of the muffler bolts on the mounting bracket, to switch the muffler cannister, does the bracket underneath the muffler joint have enough support to carry the weight of the exhaust tips, whilst I do this ??

2. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Hi Richard,

I think that it should be fine as you're removing weight by removing the muffler and one of each exhaust pipe is still attached to the catalyser. But I would leave at least one unscrewed bolt from up to down through the muffler joint and bracket holes, on each side to make sure that the exhaust brackets are not moving away from the muffler joint while you're exchanging the mufflers.

The ideal would be to support the catalyser from under the car but then you'll have to remove the diffuser.

3. lilleprins

lilleprins Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    Support the end pipes in the openings with some old blankets or magazines.

//Anders

4. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    #229 F430GT, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    No Precats indeed on the Scud! Cool photos, thanks !

6. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    Considering the car is tracked, that Scuderia header looks like it's in pretty good shape. If Ferrari got the Scuderia to pass emissions without pre-cats, I wonder why they fitted the 430 with them.

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Thanks for the magazines idea, I had to drop the diffuser as well

8. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniPG5J3nos[/ame]

I don't understand how you are not a fan of Fabspeed's products. They got 467 hp at the wheels with headers and sport cats with stock muffler. With test pipes, their new X-pipe exhaust and 100 octane race fuel they got 500 hp at the wheels. Even at 467 hp at the wheels, that is more than the new 458 Italia which puts down 450 hp at the wheels.

9. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I love my stick-shift but the sound and speed of the up shifts on that Scud are terrific. Lovin' it! :)

10. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #235 SfefVan, Jul 23, 2011
    I’m back with some good news ;)

Some members reported that they struggled with the Capristo exhaust brackets, especially the LHS bracket. It was my case too as the LHS bracket springs where well too compressed. The main issue is the metallic tip as described in previous posts.

I reported this problems to Antonio Capristo. As always, he heard these comments and started working on a new version of the exhaust brackets. I just love this guy who is always ready to improve his products ;) Try to report something to Ferrari, no chance to be heard…and no chance to see an improved solution unless it’s security related. Anyway, back to our brackets. Capristo sent me the new version to test them out on my car. So that was my today weekend job.

First, I had to remove the diffuser, muffler and old brackets. I really struggled to get the bolt out as the bolt threads were quite damaged. Not a good sign. Something needs to be improved here as these bolds are exposed to very high temperatures (more to come later on that subject). Even if the entire exhaust is holding by itself, it’s careful to put some supports under the cats as you can see on the picture. I put also come thick towels under the exhaust pipes so that they won’t scratch the paint (good practice even if soon my rear bumper will be changed – accident related).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #236 SfefVan, Jul 23, 2011
  12. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #237 SfefVan, Jul 23, 2011
    I mentioned that the bolds had suffered seriously from the heat. It was a real pain to get them out. To avoid such situation in the future, I covered them entirely with Permatex ante-seize grease. This grease can resist up to 1600 F – 870 C. It will avoid oxidation because even Inox bolt will eventually rust with humidity and lot’s of heat. The picture shows the bolds which go through the spring, one is treated with grease.

13. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #238 SfefVan, Jul 23, 2011
    Putting everything back together was a piece of cake. No more issues on the LHS and the spring are not compressed anymore.

The leveling between the LHS and RHS is perfect. I just had to slightly adjust the LHS to obtain exactly and identical alignment between the LHS and RHS exhaust tips (2 cm gap between the inner pipe and the upper edge). Did you know that stock, both exhaust lines are not aligned in the same way? The result of it can be seen on the LHS heat shield which protects the E-Diff hydraulics. On the LHS, this rounded shield is completely burned as the cat is much closer to it than on the RHS. Grace to the Capristo exhaust brackets, such differences can be absorbed without putting any pressure on the exhaust line and headers. This wasn't possible with the stock exhaust brackets and makes me thinking even more how much the headers can suffer from the pressure.

On the picture you can see that the exhaust is now sitting perfectly well on the exhaust brackets and there is enough play in the springs so that they can efficiently do their work.

Now I'm very happy with this perfect product :)

Stef

14. oebb

oebb Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    Sweden
    Excellent stuff, maybe I too should try contacting them to see if I can get the upgraded parts?

15. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    I would not hesitate to ask them. The improvement is really good. Although, I haven't test drove the car yet and can't yet validate how these new brackets are dealing with the heat, torsion etc. I will let know here the results after several test drives.

16. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #241 SfefVan, Jul 24, 2011
    Another picture which shows how the holes are perfectly aligned with the new brackets without forcing. The brackets (springs) must be adjusted at the right height before screwing the "legs" on the exhaust side in such way that their is no force between the exhaust and the legs but simply sit on them.

17. drzuess

drzuess Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Viraj
    Stef, I am having issues here. The online site does not show any brackets. Where do I get those from? This is all it shows.

http://www.capristoexhaust.us/category-s/129.htm

Also, do I need to take it back to the F shop for a ECU reprogram? DO do I even need to do that?

Thanks.

Viraj.

18. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Hi Viraj, I couldn't find them neither on the US website but the exhaust brackets are briefly mentioned here : http://www.capristo.de/en/exhaustsystems/ferrari/ferrari-430-twinsound.html

The best would be to contact them directly by email : [email protected]

No, there is absolutely no need to reflash the ECU's. The only thing that need to be done is a classical reset by switching off the main switch and leave it overnight. Then do a entire relearn cycle as I described here a couple of posts ago.

Let us know how it goes ;)
    Stef

19. drzuess

drzuess Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Viraj
    Thanks buddy. I will keep you posted. Viraj

20. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Well,

I went back to my stock Scuderia muffler. I really miss the high pitch sound of my x-pipe muffler.

My current setup: stock muffler, stock cats, Capristo headers, capristo silver header insulation.

Car feels very strong (fast), I don't know why, but it feels faster compared to the x-pipe muffler.

Next modification, Capristo Scuderia exhaust brackets. My X-pipe muffler cracked in 7 different places, all of them support pieces of the custom exhaust, so there is really a lot of movement on the exhaust due to the mounts being over the transmission, bad design from Ferrari if you ask me, because engine and tranny have different vibration patterns.

So, I need to contact someone, somewhere to get Capristo to send me the brackets. They are a little hard to reach, I'm still waiting (3 months) for the insulation for my Scuderia test pipes (not installed as they are too loud combined with the x-pipe muffler).

Great post Stef, thanks for the follow up with the Capristo Muffler Brackets.

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Have you tried http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/ http://www.capristo-usa.com/ and/or [email protected] ?

22. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    After checking this topic with Capristo, they explained me that they use self-locking nuts. That's why it is difficult to remove these nuts afterwards and the bolts of course can not be reused. Capristo installed such self-locking nuts since some clients complained of vibration noises coming from screws that have loosened.

23. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Hmmmm self locking nuts usually have a nylon ring which melts (which is not the case here) however these hex bolts and 13mm nuts are EXTREMELY difficult to remove and I don't think that is particularly smart. However, with everyday I know the Capristo headers are the right solution to choose ..... even if it costs 8K Usd .......

24. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #249 SfefVan, Jul 27, 2011
    Richard, the nuts are slightly deformed at one end to make them bind as you install them so that they resist loosening. That's why you don't see any nylon ring which anyway wouldn't be suitable for exhausts. They are indeed difficult to remove.

I will order some copper plated steel studs and nuts with build-in washers so that they will resist better high temperature corrosion.

25. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #250 SfefVan, Jul 27, 2011
    Richard, I attached two pictures of the Capristo nuts and bolts used to lock the exhaust brackets on the exhaust. As you can see, the nuts are clearly self-locking nuts. This didn't came to my mind first but then I looked more carefully since you got the same problem. So finaly nothing is wrong here. They are even copper plated and thus heat resistant.

With the right extended wenches and some grease, the hex bolts and self locking nuts can be removed but you need to apply a lot of torque on them. That's how I got them out.

You just need to use new bolts once you removed these self locking nuts or "rethread" the existing bolts with a non-self locking M8 nut (worked for me).

The new copper plated nuts I will order as posted above will be used to replace those which are OEM and holding the muffler (2 on each side).