Capristo Headers Only | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Capristo Headers Only

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, May 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #251 RichardCH, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    I have been driving my 430 Spider everyday to work this week and finally I am SO HAPPY with the exhaust, it finally sounds like a proper V8 Ferrari should, Capristo headers RULE

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    1 month in, my 430 Spider sounds even more like a fighter jet on take off 24/7 I love it !, do these fit a SCUD ??

3. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Yes Richard, they do fit the Scud. For the Scud, the only difference is that the headers do have air rails.

Same for me, the sound has even improved with the time. Somehow more metallic and medollic especially around 4000 rpm (replacing the horrible droning of the stock headers when the exhaust valves are open). It's loud, really loud and very powerfull. No need to put any muffler here, I got all the sound I could dream off ;) Crazy love it too ;)

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    tx. Sfef, What do I do with the SCUD air rails and of course I can't fit the muffler expansion brackets ?

5. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #255 SfefVan, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Capristo headers are delivered with integrated air rails. As the Scud uses a secondary air pump to blow fresh air in the exhaust at startup, you need these air rails. Your stock header have them.

Capristo has a specific centered exhaust bracket for the Scud. It uses the same principle with the green springs.

I attached a picture of the headers for the Scud where you can see very well the air rails.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #256 RichardCH, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    oh dear here we go AGAIN, do you have a URL link for this Sfef ?

7. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #258 SfefVan, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    BTW, when I got the new headers about 2 months ago, I installed some temperature strips in some strategic areas of the engine bay. Since then I've been driving quite a lot including spirited mountain road driving, city driving, motorway cruising. These strips indicate the absolute maximum temperature reached in each area. Unfortunately, I didn't receive these temperature strips in time to mesure the temperatures before the Capristo headers have been installed. So we can't concretely compare but the reduction of the engine bay temperature has reduced considerably.

Picture 1 : Strip located directly on the headers. Max 166C/331F. This is quite impressive because once I IR gunned the stock headers and got 575C/1067F...If my stock cats had also the heat shields, the temperature on the headers would have been even much lower.

Picture 2 : Strip located on the RHS engine bay panel right above the headers. Max 82C/180F

Picture 3 : Strip located on the lower part of the cross member right in front of the muffler. Max 82C/180F

Picture 4 : Strip located on the gearbox. Max temperature <149C/300F as it never reached the entrance level of this strip.

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I am looking for the headers only again for the SCUD, not the full system

9. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Yes but on this page, you can see the detailed pictures of the headers for the Scud as well as the price just for the headers :

Set of Manifolds incl. heat protectors: 4313,75 Euro

10. RO1

RO1 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Stef, thanks for sharing your experience! after reading this thread I'm going to go ahead and do the same as you and put on capristo headers, thermal insulation, special mounting brackets on my 06 430f1 as my stock manifolds are leaking.

I have a couple of questions hope you can help:-

1. The thermal insulation certainly appears effective in insulating heat from the engine compartment but won't it mean that the heat stays in the exhaust system and maybe cause exhaust overheating issues or other exhaust related problems? (my thinking is maybe too simple as the heat has to go somewhere?)

2. I understand that when i get the capristo brackets installed they totally replace the stock mounting brackets...I read from an earlier post that failure to remove the stock brackets means the capristo brackets won't be able to function as they were designed to...i am not able to be present when the work is done on my car, so my question really is 'how many stock brackets in total should be removed?' I intend to get my mechanic to hand the stock brackets to me once he is done.

Thanks stef!

11. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    You're welcome RO1 and you won't regret the Capristo headers. Their 4-2-1 concept is very efficient.

Regarding your questions :

1: instead of having the heat in the engine bay, most of the heat will go out straight especially with the exhaust valves opened. After more than 2 months driving, I haven't noticed any issues or overheating in other areas. Even the exhaust tips are not hotter than before and my chromed tips did not change color neither. If I want to improve the heat reduction, I would cover the entire exhaust system including the cats with these heat shields. I think our friend Anders has done that on his F430.

2: have a look at this page where I marked in red all the stock parts that need to be removed : http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140622339&postcount=172

You have to count some parts in double like part #41 and all the parts marked on the second picture. Your shop should remove all these parts marked in red and the exhaust should stand only on the Capristo headers. Make sure you get the upgraded part from Capristo (the new "leg" design I've tested for them as shown in my latest posts) : http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140685111&postcount=236

Good luck with this nice upgrade!
    Stef

12. RO1

RO1 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks Stef I will let you know how it went. Now the painful wait for the parts to arrive!

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I keep waiting for Antonio to release a version for the 360!

14. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    I wounding bet on that. Plenty of other brands around I'm sure.

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Not with 4-2-1 design and his brackets, I think.

16. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    True that...if you want 4-2-1 Capristo's the only way to go. Trouble is, watiing for something that might not happen versus having a 4-1 design (losing some performance in an RPM range which not many get to use on a daily basis) and enjoying the symphony right away....

17. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Even Ferrari admit that 4-2-1 produces the best sound

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    True, but I have it on good authority that Antonio is working on a set for the 360. As for losing performance in RPM range not many use, the 4-1 is actually the opposite of that IIRC. 4-1 designs tend to provide more benefit up high at the expense of some torque down lower in the range, which is actually the opposite of what most of us use on a daily basis. I don't know if everyone's 4-1 dyno results bear that out or not, however. The 4-2-1 design tends to provide more low and mid-range performance at the possible expense of some top RPM performance. If my pre-cats start rattling, however, I may not be waiting patiently anymore.

19. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    The best design to go for would be a 4-2-1. That means that the four pipes coming from the ports go into two pipes, then into the one pipe (obviously for a 4 cylinder engine, or one bank of a V8). This design allows for a much smoother flow of the gases.

20. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    As shown on my previously posted dynos, I really don't think that the 4-2-1 sacrifies some top rpm performance. I even gained some extra HP at max rpm;)

21. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Will they offer headers for the 355?

22. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    The design of the headers for the F355 and 360 is now in progress by Capristo. I will let you know ASAP when they will be available ;)

23. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Thank you! :)

24. teopilot

teopilot Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Theo
    I recently changed to capristo headers on my 2005 F430 spider, at around 3000 rpm the male a ratling sound, like something is loose. I suspect the mounting brackets that are attached to the rear of the car are vibrating against the back plate, anybody having same problems?