Capristo Headers Only | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Capristo Headers Only

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, May 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    yep only 6 weeks old and I have by no means hammered it !

2. HLC430

HLC430 Rookie

May 17, 2009
    NE Tennessee
    Where can the Capristo exhaust bracket be sourced in the United States?

Thanks
    HLC430

3. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
  4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Sfefvan you were starting to get me worried regarding the noise, it is truly amazingly awesome, it sounds completely different in a way in which you wouldn't believe headers only could change, this is now my dream Ferrari, sounding like a low flying fighter jet is my first thought which comes to mind. Now as you have remove the whole exhaust (or my dealer did) it probably cost close to 8k USD all done but it is probably the best 8K I have ever spent.

5. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Hey hey Richard, I'm very glad you like the new noise. I'm aware that this is vital to you but I knew you wouldn't be disappointed. Such noise is impossible to express in words, impossible to capture in a video neither. You have to hear it for real! You're right, it sounds like a fighter jet! I've done so many miles since because I crazy enjoy it! Such noise isn't comparable to anything, very unique, very brutal and with the large amount a extra torque now available at only 3650 rpm, it's really kicks now in my back when I'm accelarating hard. Indeed, it's really worth the investment because nothing else will improve the car so much in terms of sound/performance. The 4-2-1 principle of these Capristo headers is really amazingly efficient.

6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #206 RichardCH, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
    Now I'm annoyed it rained on my way to work and on my way home today so not above 6K rpm!

7. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Richard, what about the heat reduction in the engine bay with your new headers and heat shields ?

I will install a couple of temperature strips in the headers area to monitor this.

8. lilleprins

lilleprins Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    +1

9. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    SfefVan, thank you for the amazing post! Did you use the Capristo 4.3 racing exhaust with the Capristo headers? By chance, did you review any dyno strips with only the Capristo exhaust (i.e. Factory headers)?

10. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    I'm running Capristo headers (with air rails), stock cats and a custom X-pipe muffler.

Is it normal for the Capristo headers to get red hot (higher intensity red than the stock cats)?

My stock Scuderia headers did not glow red as I recall.

My Capristo headers have the Capristo insulation (Silver jacket) but I can see the red hot through the small openings around.

My car is running a little lean, based on the fuel/air ratio from the dyno after I put the headers, and I would like to avoid having the ECU upgraded to custom tune.

So far, 1,500 miles on these headers and x-pipe exhaust. Love the music, especially at light load around 4,000 rpm.

11. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    You're welcome Bundy. I installed only the Capristo headers because I consider that the stock cats and stock muffler are excellent products. I would consider changing my stock cats for the Capristo new 200 cpi cats only if mine were failing. So, all dynos have been done first 100% stock, then with only the new Capristo headers.

12. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thank you again, SfefVan! Appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to share your experiences with us. I realize it's a tremendous amount of work on your end.

13. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    The stock headers on the F430/Scud are entirely insulated in such way that it's impossible to see them glowing even if they do inside. I think it is normal that your Capristo headers are getting red hot but I would be a bit more worried why your car is running lean. Did you find out why? Have you remapped the ECU's?

14. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    It is quite obvious that now with the new headers, the car goes through a higher volume of air in the induction faze rather than with the standard item.
    Normally the ecu can alter slightly the ignition timing and fuel distribution but if your car is still running lean, then you definitely need to have it remapped.
    It will only ensure that your car will run within the correct parameters and at the same time produce maximum power.
    Only one question, did you perform an ECU calibration after you installed the headers?
    By right, you should have disconnected the master battery switch before performing the installation of the headers and once all work is completed, only then switch it back on and then perform the ECU calibration.
    This ensures that the ECU relearns all the new values with the new set up.

15. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Yes, I followed the complete recalibration of the ECU (I'm running stock 09 Scuderia ECU) and it got better.

Before resetting the ECU I lost around 40+ whp. After resetting power got back to normal, but the AFR is in the high 14s where it use to be in the low 14s. I think it has to do with my x-pipe muffler that has a free flow design that works better than the stock muffler (and saves 27 lbs too).

Most likely I will have to tune the car. EVOMSit has made a few tunes for the Scuderia and F430 with decent results.

16. drzuess

drzuess Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Viraj
    Stef,

Capristo headers is all I order or do I need to order anything else. This is what comes in the package.

A complete kit will consist of left and right headers, with heat shield covers.

Thanks.

PS: How many hours labor should I be paying to have them installed?

17. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Stef,

Did the nut (or stud+nut) got loose, or was the stock header affected in anyway (bend, broken bracket) ?

These header nuts don't use that much torque, and I can't use Blue Loctite on them either as the red hot heat makes Blue Loctite ineffective.

18. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Definitely.
    Do the ECU remap.
    I got the DMS software in the UK on a F430 spider and I loved the results.
    So much more low down torque.
    The car accelerates much cleaner for 2000rpm whereas before I had to wait until 4000+ rpm to get some action.
    You won't regret it!

19. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Please remind that you should order also the Capristo exhaust brackets with the new headers. The only thing I can think of is new exhaust gaskets that your dealer or online parts can sell. A shop with decent trained staff should do the headers+brackets change in max half a day.

20. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    It was indeed a nut that got loose, enough to let escape the exhaust. That was finally the origin of the typical non-catalyzed exhaust smell I could smell during cold start-ups. You're right, these nuts are tighten with only 30 Nm. I remember that the header nuts must be checked each major service and Ferrari knows that they can get loose with all the backwards pressure that goes on the stock headers. I hope this won't happen anymore with the new Capristo brackets.

21. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Harry, did you to a before and after Dyno? It would be interesting to see the difference once the remap has been done.

22. drzuess

drzuess Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Viraj
    Thanks Stef.

23. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Hi Stef,

No, i didn't.

I have used them before on my M6, and was very pleased with the results therefore i didn't hesitate to do it again.
    They came to my house and did the installation there.
    What has definitely changed, without a shadow of a doubt, is that I have lots more low down torque from around 2K rpm and the top is a bit stronger.
    From what I know, I think they arrange installations abroad, once they can combine 2-3 jobs in the same country.

I dealt with Rob, who is the computer wizard.
    Drop him an email if you have any questions, he is a really nice guy.
    :)

24. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    I went back to my stock Scuderia muffer to do more testing. Wow the car is quiet, so quiet it feels like a Mercedes.

Current setup: Capristo Headers, stock cats, stock (and heavy) Scuderia mufflers. My x-pipe muffler sounds a lot better, I regret the change, but will run the car like this for a while.

Clarification: The stock Scuderia headers don't have pre-cats, only the F430 has catalytic converter built into the headers, plus the main ones that both cars use. F430 headers and worn-out pre-cats can kill a motor.

25. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    That's very interesting info about the Scud headers not having precats! It would be great if you could take some inside pictures of your stock Scud headers in the same way I did with my F430 stock headers (to be complete in this thread).

Great feedback, thanks ;)