Capristo sound stage Vote.. You deccciiddee | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Capristo sound stage Vote.. You deccciiddee

Discussion in '348/355' started by Harrydino, May 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I had the stage 3 and loved it. Wasn't overly loud before the valve opens but when the valve opens the angels screeeeeeeeam... :)

2. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Stage 3 def winning!! Ill be making my decision Wednesday! Youuu decideeee

3. F355 Spyder

F355 Spyder Rookie

Sep 15, 2012
    Toronto,Ontario
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine is only 6 months old.
    I personally wish it was louder.
    Loud pipes save lives is the old saying from my motorcycle days.
    In town I am not pushing the car so it's no problem.
    My next exhaust project will be to install hyper flow cats.
    You will love the capristo 3 on a 355!

4. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    I'm certainly swaying towards the 3

5. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    I have the Stage 2 on mine and love it, but would trade for a Stage 3. I wouldn't pay additional money to switch however.

(the change from Tubi to Capristo was the best mod ever! :))

6. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just wish there was a 4.

7. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Stage 3 is dominating this vote

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They're all the same on bypass, the stage is just the sound level when running with the valve closed. I had a level 2 on my GTB and it was similar to stock in normal driving, maybe a bit louder but not too bad and much louder on bypass (as they all are). I traded it for a set of challenge rims as I don't see much point to being loud for the sake of being loud. It did save a little weight.

For $4k I'd just build my own with a couple hundred dollars worth of (thin wall) SS pipe and a dual inlet/outlet muffler.

9. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    You actually need a triple inlet/dual outlet muffler unless you want to install custom/360 headers without the bypass pipe. And don't forget $1k for a welder! :)

10. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I was thinking straight pipe for the bypass (similar to the Capristo). Dual inlet/outlet for the primary out of one set of tails and then straight pipe out of the valve to the other set.

11. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Just got back from 1300 mile trip with my GTS, I have a 1. High way cruising is still reasonable. With the top off, the 1 is loud enough. What I REALLY want is a 1 that converts to a 3 with a button.

12. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Charlie Hawkins likes this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Anyone know the weight of the Capristo systems?

Ken

14. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Sounds awesome where did you go on ur trip?

Not sure on the weight, I know there def lighter

15. brettb

brettb Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Can anyone confirm that the capristo on bypass is just a straight pipe, or is there some magic baby primary muffler that gives it that sound?

Because if it is just a straight pipe, getting that sound from a custom made (and cheaper) muffler is much more cost effective!

I have read before that the primary and bypass Gasses should never be mixed (this is also why the capristo is highly rated) because older Tubis and the OEM mufflers apparently mix the gases of the two in the muffler on bypass and this creates back pressure that creates more problems for an already heat stressed (because of cats) OEM header.

Effectively, bobzdars hit the nail on the head in my book.

If the Cappy does not have any hidden magic in their primary section?

16. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You'd have to cut it open to be sure. Somebody can just put their hand on one set of the tailpipes and let you know if gas comes out of one set or both at idle and you'll know if there are 2 separate paths. I believe I did this at one time but I have no recollection of the results, sorry.

I do know that they use thinner gauge metal than the stock stuff which can definitely have an impact on the sound, especially if it's essentially a straight pipe on bypass. At some point I'm going to put together a track setup with just a muffler on the primary side and straight through on bypass. I have a feeling the length of the pipes could be a factor as well. I plan to use pieces that are clamped together instead of welded - at least at first - so I can change routing/length to see what happens. I also may leave the bypass clamped so I can swap in/out a muffler(s) on that path for street driving without having to swap the whole system, we'll see.

17. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I never ran a borescope down mine, but I think it does have something to form that sound. is is a chamber, magic tube size, I don't know. But I ran a challenge exhaust on my 99 355F1 for a short while and it sounded nothing like the capristo on bypass. The challenge exhaust was just four tubes with sort of a bump out on the non bypass tubes.

18. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. I've decided to go for a stage 3 generation 1! Hopefully have it fittin in 3 weeks :)

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I just installed a three six months ago and there's another benefit to the three with two bypass valves and that. Is that it does not seem to burn the stock headers out as quickly. Some say it doesn't at all, but I am not convinced yet. I also find its louder at idle than stock but not much louder when driving until bypasses start to open.

20. zoowho2

zoowho2 Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2012
    Arizona, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Loud pipe Harley riders?

Some think a Ferrari sounds like a jap car

Some love the sound of any revving motor

Some don't think at all

21. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you....I love the sound of Ferraris....but I HATE the Harley. Sounds like a giant mistuned fart.

22. nostra

nostra Rookie

Oct 30, 2012
    Munich / Germany
    Full Name:
    Max
    I have a stage 3 since some months and I begin to hate it. It drones from 1500-3000 rpm like hell. With open flaps it is not driveable and even with closed ones it is way to loud to drive it in a city whit not getting the police attention.

I will try to exchange it against 2 or 1...

23. Charlie Hawkins

Feb 1, 2019
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charlie Hawkins
    @nostra , An off topic question if you will? I see you are in Germany. Are the prices on F355 Spiders and 360 Spiders higher in Europe than in the USA?
    If so how much higher (or lower)?