Car delima | FerrariChat

Car delima

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rjklein, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Ok need some advice:

I have a 360 coupe love the car it has 10,700 miles on it, and it is a Euro. I have had no problems with this car, but I am putting a new clutch in the car. The throught bearing needed to be re-centered, and the clutch was showing 55% so I just decided to have it all done at once.

This is the delima:
    I have a very nice offer on the car

I am thinking about selling the car and getting a 550 or a Porsche GT-2.

Is this the right time to get out of my 360?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Only if a GT2 or 550 will push more of the buttons you want/need pushed than does a 360.

3. 288_GTO

288_GTO Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is almost NEVER cheaper to get out of one car and into a new one. If the offer you got is to good to say no, then you've answered your own question. 550's a much different machine.....not better or worse, just different, big body Ferrari, V12, etc, etc. I'm not a huge Porsche fan, but I'm sure the GT-2 is fine, although I checked out a C4 Cab, pretty nice. I'd stick with the 360 for another 2.5 - 5K and then see how you feel.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Get the 550. You can never go wrong with a Ferrari 12 cylinder machine.

5. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    3 completely different cars - I believe you should pick which car is best for you. If you are looking for the fastest car go for the GT2, the best, most comfortable GT car with gobs of torque (the 550) or the 360 which is pretty fast, great handling, high-revving etc. For that kind of money, I think the F car has a certain something that is missing in a P car. Panache, excitement, sound, flair, exclusivity etc. However, the GT2 will kick either of their as$es - performance wise.

6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Call me if you want my opinion as I am having a similar delima without an offer on mine (I'm looking at the Murcielago). Mine is at Lake Forest getting clutch work (leaking seal) with only 5.1K miles on the clock. Whoever buys YOUR car will have the best sounding 360 compared with the F-1 Ferrari's!!
    I know as I have ridden in it!!

7. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I'd bail on it. If it's a good offer, I think we are getting close to the edge on 360's. Especially if the thing is a Euro with that kind of mileage. I don't think that you get too whacked on the buying and selling of cars as the other person suggested if you are buying and selling right. Taxes and how you handle that, is another issue.

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    If think the offer is fair I'd take it.

The 550 or the GT2 are nice choices to move on to but they are very different cars.

There are some really nice deals to be had on GT-2s at the moment as they have been hard hit with depreciation.

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I don't know what the numbers are here, but if you are not going to make money on the deal, why do it unless you have a real need for change. You probably bought the car cheaper because its a Euro, and you've seen through its potential problems, so you know the car--another good reason to hang onto it.
    Correct me if i am wrong, but apart from age and mileage, the only other thing differentiating your car from a US version is the warranty, which becomes a nonissue as even the US market cars age, and their warranties expire. So, while 360's may depreciate, presumably you already took advantage of the one significant difference between your 360 and others on the market. They will continue to depreciate, though, like virtually every modern car at any price once they lose flavor of the month status.

As to the cars you are considering, i've had 2 550's and currently have a GT-2. The 550 is more nicely made than the 360, but nowhere near as tossable. If you like driving it like a sportscar, rather than a high speed GT, you may be disappointed. Otherwise, the 550 is a great car, and is getting down to rock bottom pricing, i think.

The GT-2 is tossable, and far more of an animal than either ferrari. It is not like a "normal" TT, even though it shares many parts and overall style. I love mine, largely for what it feels like behind the wheel: there is no intrusion of power steering, unlike the ferraris, where it is noticeable; it is insanely rigid and there is no body roll; it corners more like a racing car, but it has no traction control and is not very forgiving. And, it still suffers from turbo lag, even though, compared to older, and other turbos, its not quite as pronounced. But, you must change the exhaust to bring the boost on earlier, making the power delivery a little less "binary." While you do nutty things to increase power and overall performance in the P cars, the GT-2 probably doesn't require too much tweaking. Oh, and did i say that the Porsche interior might be fine for a 45k sportscar, but for one that retails at 188k, it really sucks? If you go the GT-2 route, you could probably buy a "new" 2003 (there are still some sitting around) at a good price, but make sure its outfitted properly; the P aftermarket stuff ain't cheap and alot of the trim bits to deplasticize the interior are on backorder. (Oh, and buy the GT-3 seats; they are pretty amazing). PS: "Delima" is removing lima beans (sometime now confusingly referred to as 'fava beans') from a place where they don't belong. It normally does not give rise to a dilemma. You either delima or you don't.

10. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    whart, "delima", rotflmao!