Car Parts turned into nic-nacks | FerrariChat

Car Parts turned into nic-nacks

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Crallscars, Sep 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    #1 Crallscars, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That looks cool. :)

3. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Then you need is a set of bar stools made out of some long crankshafts
    Doug

4. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Yea, that would work, just need 4 rods & pistons and your favorite shape piece of glass, wine bottles optional.

Doug

5. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    very cool

6. Snapper323

Snapper323 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2005
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    L. Lee
  7. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    it's from a rover V8

8. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Looks like an alloy/aluminum block, odd looking rods

9. kovachian

kovachian Karting

Jun 27, 2006
    central Indiana
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #11 kovachian, Sep 7, 2006
    JRE likes this.
  10. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Looks like he can rest easier knowing it is parked safely away from car theives and shopping carts

11. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    And the best part is that it will "never" need a major service.

12. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    It's a Rover V8 as fitted to dozens of cars.....the Range Rover being an example, bet you wouldnt have difficulty in locating one in a salvage / scrap yard

13. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    We don't see too many Rovers here in the states, Probably easier here finding a 454 chevrolet or 460 ford block in a machine shop for cheap

And a big block, you might be able to store Magnums on the cylinders!

14. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Dont ever do a belt change in you f-car and you can have one too

15. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #17 bert308, Sep 7, 2006
    US iron= twice as heavy, no nice surface finish. But isn't the Rover V8 based-on/licensed-from a sixties Buick engine?
    This I have in my old Alfasud, the engine that is:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    If I dont do regular maintenance, including tha belts, I will be able to use the whole car as a table. I can see where it could easily be more expensive to repair than replace. Besides, after this one gets sorted out, I want to try a different Ferrari

Doug

17. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    That don't look like any Buick I have ever seen

18. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine
    History
    The Rover V8 began life as the Buick 215, an all-aluminium engine introduced for the 1961 model year. The compact engine was extremely lightweight, at just 144 kg (318 lb), and capable of high power outputs: the strongest Buick version of this engine rated 200 hp (149 kW), and the very similar Oldsmobile "Jetfire" turbocharged version made 215 hp (160 kW) (both numbers SAE gross). The aluminium engine was very expensive to produce, however, and it suffered considerable problems with oil and coolant sealing, as well as with radiator clogging from use of antifreeze incompatible with aluminium. As a result, GM ceased production of the all-aluminium engine after 1963, although Buick retained a similar iron engine as well as a V6 that would prove to have a very long and successful life.

In January 1964 Rover gave American operations head J. Bruce McWilliams permission to investigate the possible purchase of an American V8 engine for Rover cars. McWilliams realised that the lightweight Buick engine would be ideal for smaller British cars (indeed, it weighed less than many straight-4 engines it would replace). McWilliams and William Martin-Hurst began an aggressive campaign to convince GM to sell the tooling, which they finally agreed to do in January 1965. Retiring Buick engineer Joe Turley also moved to the UK to act as a consultant.

The demise of the MG Rover Group in 2005 led to a halt in production of the famed Rover V8 after 40 years. However, Land Rover desired for production of the engine to continue, and they arranged for production to restart in Weston-super-Mare under MCT, an engineering and manufacturing company. Although Land Rover has switched to the Jaguar AJ-V8 engine for new applications, MCT will continue limited production of the engine for the indeterminate future, supplying engines for aftermarket and replacement use.

19. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Actually, when Rover bought the rights to the Buick 215 they also bought the production machinery. If you examine the block you'll find a blanking plate bolted to where the mechanical fuel pump should go (Rover used an electric pump) and the camshaft still has the lobe up front for actuating a mechanical fuel pump as if it's still going into an old Buick. This is the case on the few engines I've examined at least.

It's a nice little engine. At one point, years ago, I had plans on installing one in a motorcycle.

Cool table. I was in a guy's appartment in Manhattan, back in the eighties, who had a Ferrari 250 V12 engine with a piece of glass on top sitting in the living room. I'll bet when the prices went through the roof the engine wound up back in a car.

Wil

20. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I was in an office in Reno Nevada where a man had a taken his exoctic car, it was long ago could have been anything, that he had wrecked and had it crushed it into a cube, placed a nice piece of glass on it for a table in his office. Made an interesting table, you could still recognise some of the parts

Doug

21. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Most of the Buick engines I have seen are large displacement by comparison. Although I am old enough to remember a lot of their smaller ones from back in the early sixties.
    Was it Buick that had the 4 cylinder engine that was 1/2 of an eight cylinder, even used a 8 cylinder distributer cap with 4 of the spark plug connectors blanked off?

Doug

22. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Can't say I've seen that one. Anything with less than 8 cylinders usually starts getting less interesting to me unless it's a real performer.

Of course trying to make an eight cylinder out of two fours, like the Triumph Stag engine, can be less interesting than one good four banger if you happen to own a Stag.

I've got a slightly bent Maserati straight 6 billet crankshaft and lots more Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati reject parts if anyone is looking for a potential art object.

Wil

23. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie