Carbon Fibre Addons | FerrariChat

Carbon Fibre Addons

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dvb247, Nov 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Will expensive CF addons be viewed as outdated/crude/chavy 10 years from now?

Example,
    Will my stock alloy sill plates be ultra desirable rather than the "upgraded" £1k CF addon?

I'm only talking used supercars here because to buy a Ferrari 488 you are forced in to buying £30k minimum CF/upgrades to process your order!!

I understand there is a weight saving (not noticable on the road or track albeit!!) and I currently like the CF weave look, but in years to come will we look back and think, WTF, why did we all waist all that money, or will it be more like vinyl records, it will come back in vogue given enough time?

2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Based on my experience, an asset. Good friend recently purchased a pristine low miles 430 spider. Carbon fiber option was definitely a factor in his decision to purchase. Doubt the carbon fiber added any significant value but resulted in a marketable 430 in a soft market.

3. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I think CF may be viewed as out dated if another materials is found that is superior/better than CF.
    As technology changes and is put into products and is sold as a better products we as the consumer want the ‘new’ product unless you like vintage.
    My two cents

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

I'm 360 Canuck and Nuvolari like this.
  4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

My experience with carbon fiber has been a decision maker for the last 2 Ferrari’s I’ve owned. I passed on a bunch without it. In my opinion it looks great inside the car even though it provides no function. Once you own a car with it (imho) it’s hard to buy one without. Best , Kirk.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Real <structural> carbon fiber is a truly wonderful material.

Fake <decorative> carbon fiber is not worth the money.

Viperjoe likes this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My 458 had all the OEM CF that was available. The 488 I ordered will have none, except for the Racing seat shells. My tastes have changed and I struggled with the structural vs. cosmetic application of CF. Bottom line is buy what you like. How long CF remains in vogue is anyone’s guess. Maybe it will become passé, maybe it will remain popular forever.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The amount of $ they tack on for CF trim pieces is criminal. While you don't have to order it, they will hard press you to tick the boxes and spend $50-$70K for trim pieces. The rear diffuser for $11K is just a recipe for replacement parts. I know at least 5 guys that damaged them on the drive home from the dealer!

They don't add value, but people seem to look for the trim on the used market.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Given that your question is specifically related to how carbon fiber will viewed in the future, I would emphasize the it is the dominant and defining material in today's high-end exotics and super cars (for both function and aesthetics). Like the look of carbon fiber or not (I happen to like it), I am certain that it will be highly preferred on current cars when they are bought and sold in the future. I'm also very confident that other materials will replace carbon fiber in the future, which will only elevate it's necessity in the eyes of buyers in the future when considering an older car. Simply put - carbon fiber is so significant today that it will be prized and expected by future buyers of today's cars. The material is a snapshot in today's design era.

syata likes this.
  9. luffy

luffy Rookie

Apr 22, 2006
    I have a theory that carbon is the highest margin component that manufacturers can offer. It easy to work with and its use is widespread. I can (and have) made carbon components myself using a basic vaccum mold and oven. Compared to the process of casting aluminum parts, I get the feeling its probably costing them less.