Carfax and Ferrari - is this normal? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Carfax and Ferrari - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rory breaker, Oct 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    This is completely normal. I completely understand why we as interested buyers desire that information, but in fact you're asking the dealer to provide the private business details of transactions they did with another customer. That just doesn't fly.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

Hi Rory, totally get now the apprehension. Very odd history indeed!! If it were me, and my heart was set on the car and price..I would still do a full PPI and damage/accident inspection anyway. A dealer seeing you commit to this may be much more forthcoming knowing you are serious.

I get they can't divulge personal information, but service history and point of sales aren't exactly somebody's address or Social security number!

As for Ferrari dealer non-responsiveness, you can chalk this up to unfortunately many tire kickers and lookie-loos that often have had dealers jump through hoops only to never having the intent to ever purchase. They end up doing a lot of work to fulfill I guess the 'purchase' dream of Ferrari?

I remember this clown here on this forum that spent all his time tire kicking, and never really ever intended to buy a car. He would make the dealer bend over backwards to provide info on a car, and once satisfied would offer a ridiculously low price. Of course the dealer would balk at the offer, he then would go on Yelp and write bad reviews on the dealership.

Crazy, but it happens all the time.

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I figure a Carfax is a starting point, it can provide/reveal red flags or provide nothing of value :)
    Somewhere there should be history on this car, you just have to find it.

paulchua likes this.
  4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Your joking right? You want service records below 2300 miles? That really shouldn't concern you at all

5. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Thanks to so many of you who have been really really helpful.

Ill state, again, that my concern isnt about not having service records or Carfax being be all end all. The fact that a car has no history, no initial registration, nothing for a period of its history, is odd and flags risk, period. Its not that “carfax sucks” or “can i trust this” its flat out - if a car doesnt have an initial registration in its history, if the first 2300 miles of a cars life are basically undocumented (which this one is - one dealer says it was originally sold at a second dealer, second dealer says they sold it used, not new, and the dealer one is the original dealer). No one can pinpoint how this VIN was originally registered which again flags risk unless someone has information I dont (which is what I came on for, to get folks’ opinions on that which is greatly appreciated). Given all this I have opted to pass on the car.

paulchua likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Carfax on my car indicated no prior accidents, but two separate people said there was evidence of repaired damage in the right front corner.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for updating us. I have no doubt you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

Best wishes

8. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the original post, appreciate it!

paulchua likes this.
  9. forzaredmist

forzaredmist Rookie

Oct 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kayden Kelly
    To add on to what has been shared by others, in my several years of owning many new and near-new exotic cars from various makes (mostly Ferrari) over the past several years, I can attest to seeing countless examples of minor and major services, small and massive warranty repairs, and recalls not being reported by Ferrari and McLaren. I had a 458 Speciale that died on the track on me and then had the transmission replaced and other repairs performed, and there was never a record of this. In case of an accident or damage, my Ferrari dealer offers to work with a local repair shop to repair your car for cash (no insurance involvement) if you wish to avoid loss of value on your car.

Also, my friend's McLaren had 2 engine replacements and several other repairs that he quickly traded it in and it was put it up for sale (at our local Ferrari dealership), with nothing showing on the carfax.

In my experience, there is almost no value to a carfax report when it comes to exotic cars.

thorn and paulchua like this.
  10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Pretty work Steve. That’s so generous bro. Good on you man. Best, Kirk

11. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Not all dealers/shop report to carfax, believe it or not.

forzaredmist likes this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Even if you had the service history of the car you would not know how the owner(s) actually drove it. Maybe they raced it or maybe it was a garage queen or something in the middle. Driven in the rain? winter salt? potholes? cold start revving? Carfax should at least be clean. PPI and full accident inspection a must. Once the car is up on the lift and the bottom covers off you will know a lot more than you'll ever get on a Carfax. If all good and the engine/drivetrain test out then its as safe a purchase as any other. If something in your gut tells you to move on now then move on. You'll know for sure when the right one is presented.

forzaredmist likes this.
  13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Just be glad it doesnt show any mileage red flags. Carfax is problematic for that with cars that go between Canada and US due to common errors in reporting consistently miles vs Kms.