Palm Beach Cavallino Classic | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Palm Beach Cavallino Classic

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by amenasce, Aug 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Cavallino Facebook has the Best of Show winners.

Best of Show Ferrari Classiche certified

1971 - Ferrari 512 M S/N 1020

This vehicle was built in 1970 as a 512S. Not raced in that year, it was modified to a 512M and sold to NART in 1971. It raced in the 1971 Le Mans 24 Hours, driven by Posey and Tony Adamowicz, finishing 3rd overall. This vehicle participated in NART record attempts in 1974 at the Bonneville Salt Flats, driven by Luigi Chinetti Jr., Paul Newman, Milt Minter and Graham Hill.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best of Show Competition

1953 – Ferrari 250 MM Pininfarina Berlinetta S/N 0258

The Ferrari 250 MM was built primarily to compete in long distance road races such as the Mille Miglia and the Carrera Panamericana as well as in endurance circuit races like the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This 250 MM is one of eighteen Coupes designed and built by Pininarina on Ferrari's 94-inch wheelbase with the 2.9-liter, 240 horsepower, Colombo-designed V12 engine. This Ferrari was raced also in the 1953 Mille Miglia by Count Bruno Sterzi and Giulio Rovelli.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Offered for sale by DK

enzoformenh, colombo2cam and BJK like this.
  3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
  4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I think we can all agree, It was a great day!
    GTJOEY1314

SAFE4NOW and rob lay like this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    where did all the haters go? :D

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Rob, perhaps it has been mentioned before, but out of curiosity, did you end up paying personally out-of-pocket or was your attendance sponsored by ... ?

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    None of your ****ing business, but safe to assume since we are partner companies that we work together on different things. I paid for my flight, condo, transportation, and meals outside of Friday night Tour dinner and Saturday Concours.

So far I've generated 10x more traffic as their celebrity influencers combined. :D I wonder if they got flights and room at Breakers? ;)

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    you deserve to be comp’d on everything.

NYC Fred likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ha, I mainly go as an enthusiast. It was good to meet with users and sponsors. I also got about 30 minutes to speak with Luigi and his crew Thursday night. Saturday I got a few short talks with my Chairman. All good, I'm trying to think of ideas next year to benefit both FerrariChat and Cavallino. I still think something along the lines of a private area or event.

10. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've attended every Cavallino since the beginning (1992), and what I've learned over the years is that my photographic skills are so poor that going forward I'll just rely on you guys- thanks so much for your efforts!

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m glad it was a success! It sounds like an improvement over last year. I’d still like to see the judging roster.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Curiously sold out of SA in late Nov/Dec 2022.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The program has a list but there are some mistakes in it.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #489 HotShoe, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    It was a good event but don't go expecting it to be anything like it was in the glory days. ;)

It's not their fault but the involvement isn't there like it was in the past. Losing the track was a major hit IMO. There just aren't the same amount of significant vintage cars there as in years past. In fact, only the front lawn had vintage cars. Not a single 275 or 250 SWB to be found. Even the modern selection was a little light. I think times have changed and a lot of the old dogs have either past on or don't show like they used to. The question going forward is how to they get them back if at all? I don't think we'll ever see the same turnout like the past. Sadly that era is gone.

Canossa can probably do a few things to improve and I'm sure they will. The Jet Reception party was missed by all I spoke to. Perhaps they can revive that or do a modern spin. The plus being it would be a good fit for their new younger/influencer direction. The rally went well but no vintage involvement. Perhaps they can encourage more participation by coupling it with an award? The track is a disaster. It's much too far away and you can only get in as a participant, no spectators. From what a saw on social there were a few modern cars and maybe two vintage cars? Unfortunately I don't know how they solve this. With the loss of PBIR I don't think it's even possible anymore. If it was me I would ditch the whole VIP viewing area and end of day award drive up. It's pretentious and a massive waste of space. That whole area used to be used to show cars (usually race cars) now it's a red carpet and tents.

Finally cost. That was the recurring theme everyone I spoke with brought up. I think they've pushed the pricing to the upper limit. Several of my collector friends didn't show as they felt "insulted" (their words not mine) by the new entry pricing. A real thorn for them was even if they paid to enter they would have to buy additional tickets for their wife and or kids. I think Canossa can fix this by simply adding a few more general admission tickets to the entry package. The general admission tickets were also too high for what was on hand IMO. Factor in $50 for parking and you are looking at a minimum of $430 for 5.5 hours if you don't eat or drink anything. I say this based on the fact that South Florida has many free events where I can see the best modern exotics for free. People pay to see the vintage cars they can't normally see, that's where the value lies. If they don't keep the vintage presence up and fresh each year they won't have repeat attendees.

Oh! The on field bars! Lol, can't tell you how many people were bent out of shape that there were no longer bars on the field.

Eilig, ggjjr, George Vosburgh and 6 others like this.
  15. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I must have talked to a dozen collectors I know from the Northeast that did not bring any cars this year, some haven't brought cars down in several years. And some NE collectors who did attend did not bring their most significant cars. Perhaps if there was a major Concours or event (F1 maybe) the weekend before or after, they would ship a car or two down and keep it/them down here for back to back events.

And yes, many also cited the costs, and the increasing costs of shipping vehicles, which has essentially doubled over the past 2-3 years.

My two cents is if Cavallino has their sights set on specific cars, partner with a transport company and have them ship the cars in lieu of a financial sponsorship.

This was my first time at Cavallino and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The cars were still great but the people made the weekend special. Looking forward to next year.

HotShoe and Texas Forever like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    From what I've heard. The idea of dealer judges is just a myth. @SAFE4NOW is service manager for Boardwalk Ferrari and a judge, but he has been member of FCA for 20+ years, a multiple Ferrari owner, our current FCA DFW president, and has judged IAC/PFA before the drama came up last year. For Florida people, it would be like Hank Carpenter becoming a judge. Yes Hank works for Ferrari Ft. Lauderdale, but he's a longtime FCA and Ferrari owner himself. There might be 1-2 more judges with dealer associations, but I don't know if even that many and certainly there has been zero movement to have dealers take over judging.

The "celebrity" judges turned out to be nothing. They weren't official judges assigned to official classes. Were they even allowed something like "honorary" judge selection?

Something else I haven't heard is whether any judges were disinvited this year.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Didn’t mean to offend you with my curiosity, but truly appreciate your candor and main thing is you really appear to have enjoyed the experience. :)

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, I don't have any problem with you asking and as you see in my response I about told you what you were asking anyway. :D

TTR likes this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The idea of dealer judges was no myth. It was considered. But the difference was they were to be of Canossa's chosing, not the current Chief Judge.
    Steve was chosen for exactly the same reason I was recruited years ago and several other judges we have used from the Ferrari service industry, they know the cars very well, better than almost anyone. The dealer judges mentioned last year were from the sales and management side of things and are hardly ideal as a group because generally speaking they lack the detailed knowledge needed. That as said is a general rule but I can name a number of noteworthy exceptions. I have spent a great deal of time recruiting judges and our favorite place for finding them is Ferrari service facilities. The road block there is since we do this at nearly 100% on our own money many simply cannot afford all the travel, hotels, restaurants, rental cars and time off work. Cavallino does this at a presumably good profit and judges get a breakfast lunch and dinner out of the deal.

The same 5 judges were rejected this year as last and I am told maybe 1 or 2 additional. What is noteworthy is the boatload of regular, experienced and knowledgeable judges who suddenly found something else they had to do instead of Cavallino. This years roster is dramatically different than prior years.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Fair to hear your perspective.

I just want to know which judge wanted to deduct for there not being carpet in my former 355 Challenge. :)

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Probably one of the many who never judged before.

rob lay likes this.
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    This ^^ seems to coincide with my beliefs why having a Platinum or other "wins"(?) from various shows may not all be equal, some not even close, and generally doesn't mean much.

Ironically, when I still used to accept invites to judge and told about my experiences to various non-car people, many were quite surprised to learn that just about anyone raising their hand could be become a concours judge and that judges, even at more "prestigious"(?) events, were not only expected pay their own way, but weren't compensated for their time and experience with anything other than a meal or two.
    One of these non-car individuals who's a judging nationally at a different type of field (amateur level, sports related something), told me they receive a room & board, some travel expenses (equal flat fee or vouchers per each?) and X many $$'s per day/event from the organizer(s), but anyone involved with that "hobby" just couldn't become a judge. To become one, a person is expected have years of personal and/or professional experience with what they judge, participate in fairly extensive training seminars and eventually rise through ranks.

rob lay likes this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #497 Rifledriver, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023

There were no 'Non Car Judges" I am aware of. Each was a good, hard working well intentioned volunteer who (at great expense) was doing their best to make the show happen. Some were just newer to this than has been traditional. This is all what IAC/PFA was formed to prevent but is breaking down at this event. Also,until now the FCA national event and Cavallino used nearly the same core of people so were traditionally the same and carefully chosen. Historically some did judge off not a great deal more than volunteering but its how they are tested. Their work does not always enter into the actual scoring. You may have filled out a card and given it to your chief class judge but that does not mean your choices were used. The chief class judge really make that decision and if you are just not making good decisions he does it for you. If he or she is smart you'll never know.
    The regions and chapters across the country often billed themselves as the same as us but used mostly different people with varying results. There has never been a requirement (though it has been talked about) disallowing them from advertising as such or using the same awards. The locals have been very strong willed about protecting their right to do so. A really bad idea in my opinion. So in that sense you are correct. A platinum award not given at Cavallino or FCA nationals often has little meaning even though many will argue to the death otherwise simply because their lack of experience prevents them from knowing the difference.

ggjjr, Terra, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  24. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Well Thank You...!!
    Daytona #14029 prior Jimmy Person's car circa 1976/77--2021 when bought by yours truly (Jack Nelson, Southampton NY). Jimmy was a beloved member of the "Florida Ferrari Scene" driving car to track events thru out Fla; never "in anger" on track, only to enjoy driving . Tim Stanford has been taking care of this car thru all these years...I ship it down to him winter for check-up and so forth.

I presented #14029 April 2021 Cavallino and had the pleasure (along with only 12 other cars in that Final Year PPIR Track Day) getting "to know her". Search thru Cavallno and FCHAT circa April/May 2021 for several more pics, video & magazine notes from event. I'm sorry do not have direct links for you.
    Currently remains RED/RED as when Jimmy P owned her....Factory is Giallo FLy Yellow with Dark Red/blk daytona inserts (1 of 1, Moma livery)...eventually to return. Engine/suspension rebuilt Bert @ Caribu ; Tranny rebuilt (Al Roberts) all during 2017-2018. Unfortunately JP passed away before he could enjoy the rebuild.

Thanks for the picture,
    JN

Oengus likes this.
  25. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

yes Tim filled me in a little bit about it…..straw hat and all. Thanks for reaching out!!

26. f355miami

f355miami Rookie

May 9, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I would like to see a list of the cars on the show field. Does anyone have this information? I'm putting together my video of the event and need more information. Thanks!

FYI this is my video of last years event: