Palm Beach Cavallino Classic | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Palm Beach Cavallino Classic

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by amenasce, Aug 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    Yeah, no show is perfect but i had a ball at the show. At the end of the day, with a steep price of admission for a car and the wife, i got my car judged, saw some insane cars (where can you go and see 9 F40;s 6 F50, a 288GTO, FXX EVO, F40 LM, etc?). Double the amount of spectators and cars compared to last year. Great weather except for the early morning drive down in the pouring rain. Great people. Small flask of bourbon and large thermos of coffee accompanied me in hte car. Lots of smiles and compliments on my and other cars. Just a great day.

rob lay and SAFE4NOW like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Prices too high? I know a lot of people who didn't go for free.

SAFE4NOW and Jack-the-lad like this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  4. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
  5. Slorjoe

Slorjoe Rookie

Dec 1, 2022
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Joe Miller Inabnett
    I went this year after driving 800 miles from New Orleans, An excellent turn out of Ferraris and although rather pricy, I thought it was worth the time and effort. I brought my 458 GT, which performed well on the highway and showed well at the concours. Sunday lunch at Mar a largo, but no Trump. His car was there though. Average owner should have fun if you can get your car down there. SlorJoe

SAFE4NOW, of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Florida is a l-o-n-g state.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I did that trip several times a year for four years…..before there were interstates….and we liked it!!:mad::D

SAFE4NOW and Texas Forever like this.
  8. ChicagoVV

ChicagoVV Karting

Oct 26, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dan Van Voorhis
    It was an expensive show, but for me well worth the expense. My 288 GTO won Platinum (Preservation Class) and Best 8 Cylinder.

Dan

JAM1, AandSC, audi_328 and 7 others like this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    for good or bad, this year had many more kudos and less complaints than last year. we'll see how it continues next year, it certainly didn't get worse like many predicted.

FerrfanFL likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #561 Rifledriver, Mar 7, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    It depends on how you define complaint. They had far fewer older, Enzo Era cars and far more later model cars. Is that a complaint?
    The awards dinner had far fewer attendees. Is skipping the dinner a complaint?
    Many of the regular judges did not attend. Is that a complaint?
    Many traditional entrants did not attend. Is that a complaint?

Judging the success of anything by the number of complaints received is a really poor way to judge anything.

People vote with their feet and their money, not their mouths.

Jack-the-lad and Nospinzone like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    and the feet and money have come in more than ever.

I hear and understand the complaints about less of the 275 type cars (I guarantee there is a nice representation next year because everyone saw the gap this year). There was however great representation of the early early cars, 8-digit cars, and the 60-70's were represented OK with the 330's and Daytonas. I guarantee there were more 40 year old Ferraris there this year than there was Cavallino 2000. :D What events anymore will get the vintage turnout of Cavallino 20 years ago? Put the blame where it belongs whether old man time or 250 GTO owners not affording the higher ticket prices. ;)

Canossa 2022 GTO Reunion

Image Unavailable, Please Login

FerrfanFL likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #563 Rifledriver, Mar 7, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    The GTO reunion has been going on long before Canossa was ever in the picture.

No one is using 20 years ago as the standard of comparison but you. So absurd funny it was even mentioned.

There were a great number of year in, year out attendees who suddenly could not find the time this year. Their absence is very telling. To suggest no one is dissatisfied is laughable. I am not speaking of ticket buying attendees.

ggjjr, Jack-the-lad and Texas Forever like this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    correct, but a pretty good turnout and event last year I think, run by Canossa.

every year that goes by it will be harder and harder to get these cars out. the owners getting older, have done many of the same events already, and the values getting astronomical.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Just out of curiosity, what has been the quantity of cars in attendance at each GTO reunion ?

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ???
    I don't know, hence my curiosity/question.
    Was hoping a list of or at least a number of cars per each event.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That was cool. That was back when Pebble et al would name Ferrari as the event car in years that ended with "4." I believe the annual FCA event was held there that year.

rob lay likes this.
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No. The GTO reunions are private invitation only time and place kept secret until after its over. Moves to a different country each year. It is far more than just a track event. Happened to have been in Virginia this year.

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wild guess here. But I'm thinking you have to own one to get an invite.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is a very few others. Think low end single digits.

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #572 Marcel Massini, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Not being held every year. Only every FIVE years.
    First time held in September 1982 (20th Anniversary of the 250 GTO), organised by Pierre Bardinon and Jess G. Pourret, and held in Burgundy, France. I remember it well because I drove 3705 GT there.
    The 25th Anniversary was held in 1987, organised by Pierre Bardinon, Jess G. Pourret and Jean Berchon of Moet & Chandon, and went from Epernay to Mas du Clos, France.
    The 30th Anniversary (in 1992) was not really an anniversary but rather a run from Brussels to Maranello with Jacques Swaters.
    The 35th Anniversary was held in 1997 and organised by Jean Berchon of Moet & Chandon and fchatter P. Paul Pappalardo and went from Epernay/France to Monaco.
    The 40th Anniversary was held in September 2002 and organised by Jean Berchon of Moet & Chandon and fchatter P. Paul Pappalardo and was held in Burgundy, France. I do remember that event also very well because I assisted a U.S. West Coast-based GTO owner after some French kamikaze driver crashed into his GTO.
    The 45th Anniversary was held in 2007 and organised by Jean Berchon of Moet & Chandon with Peter G. Sachs and held in California, USA.
    The 50th Anniversary was held in June 2012 and organised by Jean Berchon of Moet & Chandon with Peter G. Sachs and went from Epernay via Le Mans Classic to Versailles in France.
    The 55th Anniversary was held in September 2017 and organised by Brandon Wang, Jean Berchon of Moet & Chandon, and the factory, and went from Florence, Italy, to Maranello, Italy. I remember it well because I was invited by the factory and drove my F12 Berlinetta.

Marcel Massini

TTR, ggjjr, AandSC and 5 others like this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My mistake. See we should have asked the right person.

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wow, thanks for the history Marcel!

of2worlds likes this.
  24. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ