Cavallino Classic concorso entrance fee has doubled 200$!!! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Cavallino Classic concorso entrance fee has doubled 200$!!!

Discussion in 'Florida' started by treedee3d, Oct 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    wow, fantastic! thanks for posting those!

2. scrappin35

scrappin35 Karting

Dec 13, 2011
    FT Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    #152 scrappin35, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Great pics, thank you for share them

4. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    gorgeous!

5. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    My 308 GTB on the right. Yeah

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This is a Berlinetta (closed car), not a Barchetta (open car). S/N 0026 M owned by Jack Croul since March 2003.

Marcel Massini

7. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    #158 87testa, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    I was in attendance this year and have attended the last three years. With all due respect to Treedee as I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion. Respectfully I will present my point of view:

The opening sentence for Treedee is "The show is fantastic, cars are amazing and the venue is beautiful. We both agree here. Is this not worth $200.00? To put on the best Ferrari show on the planet for 1 day a year did you not get your money's worth? The caliber of cars alone to be seen in one day is amazing.

There probably were less people than 2 years ago. So what. I think that is a great benefit as it was less crowded and a better opportunity to speak to the owners and take pictures.

I did not go to the track on Thursday as a lot of people are still coming from out of town. I went to the track on Friday. The drivers were all great and allowed us to stay under their tents as there was heavy rain. The grand stand was full of people. I was impressed at the die hard drivers and fans in the rain.

I don't think the objective is to make ticket prices sky high for the inner circle champagne gargling set. If this was the case the tickets would be $1,000.00 per ticket. It costs money to put on a top quality show. I'm sure they have spent money on getting the cars and preparing for the show for the last year. The show is also entitled to a profit.

I quote from Treedee "If they are trying to promote the event and get the Ferrari Enthusiasts to come out and enjoy it then I'd say they failed miserably, the place looked empty to me both thursday and saturday.
    I have to scratch my head over this statement. I cannot comment regarding Thursday which is a complete track day. Tracks only attract a certain crowd and some of the people in my party were arriving on Thursday so we weren't able to get to the track. As for Saturday the show was perfect. Failed miserably? This is not a sausage fest or picnic in the park. It is a high quality show dedicated to the preservation of Ferrari with quality judging, cars and yes enthusiasts. We weren't all there to gargle with champagne.

I have never been to the jet reception but have gone to Mar a Lago once. If you have never been there how can you label it an ego stroke fest? The entrance fee to Mar a Lago is a cheap opportunity to go see the property, participate in a CHARITY FUND RAISER and you may even meet Donald Trump if you so desire. The price is based on costs plus raising money for charity. I'm glad I experienced it once.

I guess the extra $100 Cavallino decided to charge this year has made this show too expensive and out of reach for some people. I'm sure the people at Cavallino have their reasons for the price and will not make any apologies.
    I plan on attending this show every year as long as they are still willing to produce it.

8. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    the finest Ferrari event at one of the worlds finest venues ! cant say much more than that but I will
    . Price ....well .................... if you want to attend you pays the man .
    NO WHERE else will you see this caliber of Ferraris stationary at the same place same time . I've been to the Goodwood Revival many times including last year and even it ( last year had a feature Ferrari race ) didn't compare to this show .
    The track day....
    lets see, 3 GTOs, a 166 Barchetta , a 300s Maserati, a quick glimpse at the Penske Sunoco 512 and a smattering of prewar Alfas ( ALPHAS LOL) and F40s in the rain for only 30 bucks now that's a downright BARGAIN. !!!
    I much prefer looking at this than a sea of 355 , 328s, 430s and 360s . ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Anyways
    I respectfully disagree with Fab especially this year as the higher price ( not to mention the cool temps ) meant virtually no crowding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and who knows what strings they had to pull to get all those BEST of SHOWS on the Lawn .
    Our Canadian dollar sucks at the moment but that's not Cavallino's fault either.
    if this show was 500 US or if one converts ...1000 Canadian! I would still attend .
    besides , a cold day in January in Palm beach beats a warm day in January in Toronto or Montreal for that matter !!

My 2 Liras
    Gary

9. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    This was my 25th Cavallino Classic, and it remains one of the highlights of my year.
    Expensive? Yes.
    Worthwhile? Yes!

10. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I disagree with Sam and thedoc to a certain extent but everything you guys wrote makes sense....well kinda...everything is relative.

I am not sure who-pays-who? and what-costs-what?

Some people say it's expensive to rent the Breakers for the event but if I was the Breakers I would pay the organizers to get them to come to my establishment so I could sell rooms and get great exposure for my business.

Some say bringing your car to the show is expensive but it's also an investment because if you get high points or a trophy then your car's value goes up. Some say it's expensive to get the cars to the show.

So I'm not sure who's charging, what they are making, etc...

But let's be real for a second even among Ferrari owners, does anyone remember how much money 200$ is? It's a lot.... I am sure they would make decent profit at 100$ per person.

I don't buy the "crowd control" excuse because all they need to do is limit the number of admission tickets available.

Not taking anything away from the show but the show is also there to make money, let's be honest. From what I saw spending the week there, it looked like they really tried to milk the 25th anniversary thing and gouge by doubling some prices. Pretending that greed plays no part in this is being very naive.

The result was that there was fewer people that previous years from what I saw.

This being said, I think if it was a little more accessible and they were a little less greedy, I would attend every year and I would also attend the Jet reception and the Mar a Lago brunch. I would embrace the event and the entire week and I would come from Montreal every year.

But perhaps it's all designed to keep upper middle class peasants like me and my friends away from the upper crust Ferrari owners. Who knows?

As it stands now, I am good for a while and so are the 9 friends who accompanied me on this great trip. Sorry to burst the bubble...

11. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I would like to add more points to this healthy discussion:

I don't think the Breakers needs to discount the event. They had six weddings going on that day and it is expensive to shut down a portion of the golf course.
    I don't know for sure but I suspect some cars get free shipping especially if Cavallino is looking for their car.
    My friend had a major concours call him and they paid for his shipping so I know it goes on.
    The fact that people bring their cars for different reasons i.e. a platino makes their car more marketable doesn't bother me at all. I got to see a car in the flesh that the Home Depot shows and park shows in Canada don't allow me to see as these cars are not there. You get what you pay for. There has to be something in it for the owners otherwise the car does not come out.
    Greed is Good. Money makes for great shows.
    If Cavallino can make the same money with less people what's wrong with that? They are not a registered charity.

I applaud Ira's passion for the show. He has been there the last 25 years and has a good understanding of the show and the quality of cars. He gets it.

It is expensive but it is worth every penny. It's too bad you don't see the value in the show.

I'm trying to present counter points in order not to turn off Ferrari enthusiasts from attending the show. When I attended three years ago it was on my bucket list. After the first show it became a must attend yearly. It's better to be in Palm Beach than in Canada in January.

12. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Certainly cannot disagree with that!